Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Wild Bill - 09-01-2015 08:21 AM

He was called Dan

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-01-2015 08:49 AM

Brilliant, Bill! That's it. Weichmann mentioned Dan during his trial testimony. I really thought this question would last longer than a few hours.

I cannot think of a prize for this question, so I just send very best wishes to you for a wonderful day!

RE: Assassination Trivia - Wild Bill - 09-01-2015 11:09 AM

I'll take the good wishes!

RE: Assassination Trivia - wpbinzel - 09-01-2015 07:05 PM

In A True History, Weichmann refers to Dan as "a half-witted mulatto who did chores around the place." (p. 101)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Anita - 09-01-2015 08:16 PM

Was this Dan ever interviewed regarding the happenings at the Surratt House?

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 09-02-2015 10:27 AM

(09-01-2015 08:16 PM)Anita Wrote:  Was this Dan ever interviewed regarding the happenings at the Surratt House?

I don't remember that he was. If he was, indeed, as Weichmann described him, perhaps the authorities ignored him as having no reliable information?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Wild Bill - 09-02-2015 11:08 AM

I have always thought that Dan was a lot smarter than he let on. He always exasperated Wichmann, but he did not pull such stuff on Mary Surratt. Enslaved blacks often refer to this talent "as putting on ole Massa." I have seen this still in practice today. It is often referred to in literature on slavery plus in a more modern study, John Dollard's Caste and Class in a Southern Town.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 09-02-2015 05:36 PM

One of my black history courses in my Master's program was entitled "Puttin' On Ole Massa." It was excellent, and I found that I recognized some of it from the elderly, local African Americans that I had grown up around in my uncle's store and as friends.

The practice was still used by some of the 8th and 9th graders that I was teaching at that time. They were shocked to find out that I was onto them, and it became sort of a game with us. I believe there is a book by that name.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-10-2015 04:11 PM

On the night of April 14th, when William Petersen first became aware of unusual activity across the street at Ford's, he was in the midst of doing something. What was he doing?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 09-10-2015 05:22 PM

He was out celebrating the end of the War with his wife, Anna.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 09-10-2015 05:43 PM

I've got Kathy Canavan's great book right beside me, so I am going to refrain from answering!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-10-2015 05:51 PM

OK, Laurie.

Thomas, that is an excellent guess, but he was at home when President Lincoln was shot. The activity he was doing was interrupted by cries and shouts in the street.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 09-10-2015 06:32 PM

Ok, I can safely rule out watching TV...well, what other activities are there at that late hour? Some other activity involving his wife? Fulfilling conjugal duties?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 09-11-2015 05:21 AM

Nope, that's not it, Eva.

Hint#1: Vicki and I live in a senior community, and this activity is a popular thing in our clubhouse.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Page - 09-11-2015 06:47 AM

Roger, wasn't Petersen playing billiards at that time? I may be confusing his activity with someone else's.

--Jim