Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 07-24-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:Betty, is this the guy?

That's him! I remember Mr. Hall speaking (and writing) about "Bull" Frizzle....how on Nelson's action team, "Bull" was the equivalent of Powell on Booth's team....

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-24-2015 12:38 PM

Sorry to be late getting on the forum today. I decided I better earn my paycheck at work! Betty nailed the answer, and thank you, Gene, for supplying all the background information. Shortly after we started publishing the Surratt newsletter back in 1977, Percy Martin (one of us original Boothies) did an article on Bull Frizzell. I ran across it yesterday while researching something else and thought it would be a good quiz question.

I have always wanted to see a photo of Bull. Also, when I was 8-years-old, they moved our family home (13-room, three-story Victorian built ca. 1840) to make room for a dual-lane highway (that's a story in itself because we lived in it the whole time it was being moved - two months). The company that did the moving was a family business and the family name was Frizzell. I didn't know about Bull (or much about the assassination) at that time. Sure wish I could ask them about any relationship now.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2015 03:20 PM

Who made this statement?

"Booth injured his leg by jumping on the stage and not by falling off his horse as has been stated."

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 07-27-2015 04:20 PM

(07-27-2015 03:20 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who made this statement?

"Booth injured his leg by jumping on the stage and not by falling off his horse as has been stated."

I was going to say Mike Kauffman, but he has examined both theories in his book "In The Footsteps Of An Assassin". My new guess is Jim Bishop, author of "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" (terrific read IMO).

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 07-27-2015 04:37 PM

Dave Taylor?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2015 04:45 PM

Excellent guesses, Thomas and Gene. But it was not Mike Kauffman, Jim Bishop, or Dave Taylor. I am looking for the person who said this exact quote as stated in the question.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 07-27-2015 05:04 PM

I believe that was stated by William Wood in his "in the field" report.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2015 05:27 PM

Dave, that's not the person I was looking for, although full credit is yours if you can post that part of Wood's report and the words are the same. I do not have his report.

Hint #1: My source for this question is a book published in 2015.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-27-2015 05:32 PM

I was just going to post my guess with the prologue that it must be wrong because it's different from Dave's guess (but I still think it is) - Thomas Jones?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 07-27-2015 05:43 PM

Roger,

I was thinking of these reports from Wood: http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-505-post-12410.html#pid12410

However, the quote I was thinking of does not come from Wood but from John Waite and is a little different. Waite stated, "Booth fractured a bone of his leg in jumping upon the stage, not by falling near Bryantown."

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-27-2015 06:03 PM

According to p. 211 of "Decapitating the Union" it was Herold.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2015 06:15 PM

Dave, kudos on having such an excellent memory, and that quote you were thinking of is on the right track, but the answer is not Waite.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eva, kudos to you as you are correct!! The source I used is p. 416 (note # 109) of Terry Alford's Fortune's Fool. I have John's book, too, so the answer is in both books. Dr. Alford's source for this quote from David Herold is the New York Tribune, April 28, 1865. According to the article Herold said this after being captured.

I cannot think of a prize for a broken leg question, so I just send my very best wishes to you in Kiel.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-27-2015 06:48 PM

Thank you, Roger! Isn't "break a leg" in English a phrase for good wishes, too?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Page - 07-27-2015 06:53 PM

(07-27-2015 06:48 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Isn't "break a leg" in English a phrase for good wishes, too?

Eva, in theatrical circles, it's said to be a phrase for best wishes. In the circles of some other American enterprises, it's a job assignment.

--Jim

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-27-2015 07:06 PM

(07-27-2015 06:53 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  In the circles of some other American enterprises, it's a job assignment.
Thanks, Jim - could you explain this a bit more specifically? Thanks! In German you would wish someone going skiing to break "neck and leg", but also anyone who takes a figurative or real risk in life. In the theater though, the appropriate wish is "toitoitoi".