Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-03-2015 07:11 PM

Soper's Hill?!
(I am not a native speaker and have to admit that I surrender as for the meaning of the grammatical construction "to give someone there ticket". So I borrow Joe Beckert's words - what did I win?)

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 03-03-2015 10:21 PM

Sorry, old teachers never die - they just run out of red ink. I think Thomas is better at history than he is at grammar. That phrase should read "to give me THEIR ticket."

P.S. You win nothing. Luckily, you don't have a ticket to the Commemoration that Thomas is coveting so badly because he would be reaching through the computer screen and snatching it right about now. He is so buzzed about this event that I hope he is able to make most of the presentations. Personally, my choice would be to stand on Tenth Street at 7:22 am for the observances and the tolling of the bells. Solemnity and dignity...

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-03-2015 11:02 PM

Sorry, too -
(03-03-2015 10:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Luckily, you don't have a ticket to the Commemoration
...and luckily I am not a multiple personality - thanks, Laurie, I re-and reread the sentence (a sentence rather than a prize as it seems now...) and would have been fine with "a/his/her" (thus singular), but "their" just didn't come to my mind - I didn't expect it's about a special kind of group ticket...("whoever gets this...gives me their ticket")

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 03-04-2015 11:38 AM

(03-03-2015 10:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Sorry, old teachers never die - they just run out of red ink. I think Thomas is better at history than he is at grammar. That phrase should read "to give me THEIR ticket."

P.S. You win nothing. Luckily, you don't have a ticket to the Commemoration that Thomas is coveting so badly because he would be reaching through the computer screen and snatching it right about now. He is so buzzed about this event that I hope he is able to make most of the presentations. Personally, my choice would be to stand on Tenth Street at 7:22 am for the observances and the tolling of the bells. Solemnity and dignity...

Stupid Autocorrect feature on my phone!

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 03-04-2015 12:34 PM

(03-03-2015 11:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Sorry, too -
(03-03-2015 10:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Luckily, you don't have a ticket to the Commemoration
...and luckily I am not a multiple personality - thanks, Laurie, I re-and reread the sentence (a sentence rather than a prize as it seems now...) and would have been fine with "a/his/her" (thus singular), but "their" just didn't come to my mind - I didn't expect it's about a special kind of group ticket...("whoever gets this...gives me their ticket")

I also have to admit to frequently and purposefully using the improper "their" when referencing a singular individual. In class I often find myself asking, "Who can give me their opinion on _________". I know the proper phrasing should be, "Who can give me his or her opinion on ______" but that sounds cumbersome to me. I would venture that the incorrect substitution or "their" for "his or her" is an increasingly common occurrence, however. "Their", relieves the burden of saying "his or her", while still working to eliminate any chance of gender bias in our speech. I'm not saying it's proper, but "their" in a singular sense appears to be used with increased frequency in our society.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 03-04-2015 01:48 PM

Dave, I've got to agree with you there.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 03-04-2015 05:16 PM

(03-04-2015 12:34 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 11:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Sorry, too -
[quote='L Verge' pid='44721' dateline='1425435714']
Luckily, you don't have a ticket to the Commemoration

I have learned to live with the confusion on "their." I was being snarky because Thomas had spelled it as "there."

I was a history teacher, but I always corrected my students' grammar when they erred. They would fuss that "...you're not an English teacher." And, I would retort that, "All teachers should be English teachers."

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 03-04-2015 06:12 PM

Alright more trivia! Name the punishment each conspirator received for their involvement with Booth.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-04-2015 09:15 PM

Please scroll down (and, please, choose a nice prize for Roger):
http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln.html

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-08-2015 04:44 AM

What place is/was this?
[attachment=1504]

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 03-08-2015 04:49 AM

I have no idea, but I shall guess it's one of the places John Surratt visited during the period after the assassination and before his capture.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-08-2015 04:54 AM

Excellent guess, Roger! As I am not a John Surratt expert I hope I am right in saying he didn't.

Hint #1: The place is better known for something different finally NOT to happen.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-08-2015 09:49 AM

Hint #2: I (my personal preferences in mind) am thinking the ones who were concerned were quite lucky (in disguise) things turned out differently.

Hint #3: IMO the building looks quite typical for a building of its purpose.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 03-08-2015 10:31 AM

Is it some sort of prison or asylum?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 03-08-2015 10:34 AM

Brilliant, Roger - that is correct so far!!! Now which one?