Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-16-2015 12:06 PM

I have a book which says one of the doctors in the Lincoln assassination saga was the world's first physician to amputate a person's leg at the hip. The book says he made medical history with this operation. What was the doctor's name?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 02-16-2015 12:23 PM

That's an easy one. It's a well known fact that instead of splinting Booth's leg, Dr. Mudd just lobbed the whole thing off at the hip.

Tongue

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-16-2015 02:03 PM

Dave, thanks for clarifying. I misremembered that.

Hint #1: This doctor had a brother who had served in Congress.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-16-2015 02:11 PM

Don't know about your hint, Roger, but not that long ago I read in "American Brutus" about Dr. May being the first to perform this amputation.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-16-2015 02:24 PM

Brilliant, Eva!! The book I referred to is indeed Mike Kauffman's American Brutus, and the doctor is John Frederick May. One of his brothers, Henry May of Baltimore, was a Representative in Congress prior to the Civil War. Dr. May's father was also a doctor.

Your prize is my continued good wishes and hopes for an early spring in Germany.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-16-2015 03:01 PM

Thanks, Roger! I found this interesting and highlighted it in my copy when reading. The prize is most welcome!

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 02-22-2015 02:55 PM

I was goofing around during Daytona 500 pre trace coverage and came across this interesting collection of newspaper articles

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL16906817W/The_assassination_of_Abraham_Lincoln

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 02-22-2015 06:18 PM

What an interesting find Thomas. Thanks for sharing!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-27-2015 06:27 AM

Many years ago a man wrote a short account of Booth's days on the run. In his account he claimed that Booth's leap to the stage at Ford's was twenty feet! Who was this man?

RE: Assassination Trivia - STS Lincolnite - 02-27-2015 08:32 AM

(02-27-2015 06:27 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Many years ago a man wrote a short account of Booth's days on the run. In his account he claimed that Booth's leap to the stage at Ford's was twenty feet! Who was this man?

Finis L Bates? Of course, according to him Booth (or his mummy) is still on the run! Big Grin

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-27-2015 09:05 AM

Excellent guess, Scott, but it was not Bates.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Wild Bill - 02-27-2015 12:17 PM

George Alfred Townsnd

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-27-2015 01:33 PM

Another excellent guess, Bill, but it's not Townsend.

Hint #1: Bill's guess is in the right century - this author's pamphlet was published in the 19th century. The author is not as well known as either Townsend or Bates.

Hint #1.5: The entire text of the author's pamphlet is a free download on archive.org

Hint #2: In In The Shadow of Lincoln's Death Otto Eisenschiml mentioned this author's name and "leap estimate," and he said it was not worthy of serious consideration.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-27-2015 05:10 PM

I cannot think of any more clues, and this is such a little known writer I shall just say the answer.

The gent's name is Paul Devere, and his pamphlet was titled The Flight of J. Wilkes Booth. Lots and lots of errors - the author had quite the imagination. I think it was first published in 1880. I just happened to see it mentioned in Eisenschiml's book.

The 20 foot leap is in the first paragraph here.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 03-03-2015 06:42 PM

Whoever gets this question right gives me there ticket to A Lincoln Commemoration: What was the name of the rendezvous point John Wilkes Booth met David E. Herold after shooting Lincoln?