Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-02-2015 05:21 PM

And - which is THE Lincoln Museum?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 02-02-2015 06:44 PM

Sorry for the confusion guys. I did research on the Spencer Carbines and Ford's Theater says that the carbine on display in the Lincoln Museum (in the theater's basement to answer Eva's question) was carried by David E. Herold but was in Booth's possession when he was cornered. Booth opted not to carry a carbine when it was time to pick the weapons up at the Surratt Tavern because he was in pain from his broken leg. I believe the carbine left behind is in the Center For Education And Leadership across the street from Ford's Theater

Laurie, I am still researching Dr. Abbot and will post my response when I get it.

I am sorry if I confused anyone and hope this helps.

(01-31-2015 09:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 05:35 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  I was referring to Dr. Abbott so you are correct. Ding!

Who carried the Spencer Carbine on display in the Lincoln Museum? Hint: it ain't who you think it is.

Thomas - I don't want to appear contrary, but I don't want to be credited with giving a correct answer because I believe you are still confusing two Dr. Abbotts -- one who was white and attended Lincoln at the Petersen House, Dr. Ezra Abbott -- and another who was indeed black, but did not assist Dr. Leale at Ford's (and it is questionable as to whether or not he was at Petersen's).

That second Dr. Abbott is the Canadian Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott. There is one rumor that this black officer is the one who accompanied Elizabeth Keckly to Petersen's that night. The problem with even that is that Mrs. Keckly could not be located until the wee small hours of the morning, so even if Dr. Anderson Abbott made it inside the home, it is very questionable as to whether he was involved in the death scene.

Therefore, the only thing that I am right on is that Dr. Ezra Abbott was a white man and may have assisted after Lincoln left the theater. Dr. Anderson Abbott was a black man, but there is no indication that he assisted Dr. Leale either at the theater or at the death bed.

The truest answer to your original trivia question would be that no African American assisted Dr. Leale in trying to revive Mr. Lincoln.

I forgot to take a stab at your second question about who carried the Spencer carbine that is now on display at Ford's. One would need to know if any historical differentiation was made in 1865 as to which carbine was with the fugitives on their escape and which was chopped from the dining room wall at Surratt House.

If it is known that the carbine came from the Surratt wall, then the correct answer would be that it was last carried by either David Herold, John Surratt, George Atzerodt, or tavern keeper John Lloyd when hidden in said wall on March 18, 1865, OR by Detective Cottingham who ordered its retrieval from said wall, or Andrew Kaldenbach who chopped it from the wall.

If referring to the carbine that went along for the escape - and assuming you mean which conspirator carried the carbine - the answer would be David Herold?

The last I knew, both carbines are in the possession of the NPS. Back in the 1970s, Surratt House requested loan of one of the carbines since the history is closely related to our museum. Guess what the answer was...

I read the post by Kees and it was Dr. Ezra Abbot. While this Dr. Abbott was there when Lincoln died, Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott was not there. Dr. Ezra Abbott was white. Sorry for the confusion.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-02-2015 06:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying, Thomas!

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 02-02-2015 08:17 PM

(02-02-2015 06:44 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Sorry for the confusion guys. I did research on the Spencer Carbines and Ford's Theater says that the carbine on display in the Lincoln Museum (in the theater's basement to answer Eva's question) was carried by David E. Herold but was in Booth's possession when he was cornered. Booth opted not to carry a carbine when it was time to pick the weapons up at the Surratt Tavern because he was in pain from his broken leg. I believe the carbine left behind is in the Center For Education And Leadership across the street from Ford's Theater

Laurie, I am still researching Dr. Abbot and will post my response when I get it.

I am sorry if I confused anyone and hope this helps.

(01-31-2015 09:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(01-31-2015 05:35 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  I was referring to Dr. Abbott so you are correct. Ding!

Who carried the Spencer Carbine on display in the Lincoln Museum? Hint: it ain't who you think it is.

Thomas - I don't want to appear contrary, but I don't want to be credited with giving a correct answer because I believe you are still confusing two Dr. Abbotts -- one who was white and attended Lincoln at the Petersen House, Dr. Ezra Abbott -- and another who was indeed black, but did not assist Dr. Leale at Ford's (and it is questionable as to whether or not he was at Petersen's).

That second Dr. Abbott is the Canadian Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott. There is one rumor that this black officer is the one who accompanied Elizabeth Keckly to Petersen's that night. The problem with even that is that Mrs. Keckly could not be located until the wee small hours of the morning, so even if Dr. Anderson Abbott made it inside the home, it is very questionable as to whether he was involved in the death scene.

Therefore, the only thing that I am right on is that Dr. Ezra Abbott was a white man and may have assisted after Lincoln left the theater. Dr. Anderson Abbott was a black man, but there is no indication that he assisted Dr. Leale either at the theater or at the death bed.

The truest answer to your original trivia question would be that no African American assisted Dr. Leale in trying to revive Mr. Lincoln.

I forgot to take a stab at your second question about who carried the Spencer carbine that is now on display at Ford's. One would need to know if any historical differentiation was made in 1865 as to which carbine was with the fugitives on their escape and which was chopped from the dining room wall at Surratt House.

If it is known that the carbine came from the Surratt wall, then the correct answer would be that it was last carried by either David Herold, John Surratt, George Atzerodt, or tavern keeper John Lloyd when hidden in said wall on March 18, 1865, OR by Detective Cottingham who ordered its retrieval from said wall, or Andrew Kaldenbach who chopped it from the wall.

If referring to the carbine that went along for the escape - and assuming you mean which conspirator carried the carbine - the answer would be David Herold?

The last I knew, both carbines are in the possession of the NPS. Back in the 1970s, Surratt House requested loan of one of the carbines since the history is closely related to our museum. Guess what the answer was...

I read the post by Kees and it was Dr. Ezra Abbot. While this Dr. Abbott was there when Lincoln died, Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott was not there. Dr. Ezra Abbott was white. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for the clarifications and correcting any misconceptions. We all keep on learning; it's a never ending process. Just today, I had to turn to Dave Taylor for help in finding the current address of Herold's house in southeast D.C. to answer a questioner that Roger referred to me. I've only been past that house 100 times or more (I am not exaggerating), but had no clue as to what its current street address was, and I did not want to give out wrong information.

P.S. If anyone else is wondering, the Herold home is currently 1116 8th Street, S.E. near the intersection with M Street right outside those antique gates of the Navy Yard.

RE: Assassination Trivia - PaigeBooth - 02-02-2015 11:13 PM

Hope your research goes well for you, Thomas!

Researching is a wonderful thing to do because you learn so much along the way. This past summer, I worked for months on a John F. Kennedy biography and I cannot begin to say how much I learned. Please be sure to share your research on Dr. Abbott with us.

And thank you for bringing up Dr. Abbott; it prompted me to look back into Michael Kauffman's book, "American Brutus", which clarified for me some details regarding Dr. Abbott. "American Brutus" is a wonderful book, by the way. If you have not already read it, you would probably enjoy it very much; I know I did.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 02-03-2015 03:51 PM

Which clothing company made the suit and great coat Lincoln wore to Ford's Theater? Bonus for anyone who can name what is on the emblem inside the great coat.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 02-03-2015 06:00 PM

This is definitely a question for Reignette Chilton, member of this forum, employee of the company, researcher and author on the history of the Lincoln ensemble.

Back to Dr. Abbott: If anyone is interested in learning more about the African American Dr. Anderson Ruffin Abbott of Canada, the Surratt Courier newsletter carried two stories about him years ago. We sell back issues for $1/copy. Ask for "The Story of Anderson Ruffin Abbott by Clare Crozier in the Feb/Mar issues of 1993, and also a follow-up article by Mr. Crozier in the April 2003 issue entitled "Some Recollections of Lincoln's Assassination," written by Dr. Abbott in 1901.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 02-03-2015 08:09 PM

Thanks Laurie.

RE: Assassination Trivia - STS Lincolnite - 02-03-2015 09:47 PM

I don't know about the suit, but the Great Coat was made by Brooks Brothers and there is an eagle stitched on the inside.

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 02-04-2015 09:59 AM

(02-03-2015 03:51 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Which clothing company made the suit and great coat Lincoln wore to Ford's Theater? Bonus for anyone who can name what is on the emblem inside the great coat.

Hi, Thomas,

Brooks Brothers made Lincoln's overcoat (greatcoat) and its silk-lining is
adorned with the embroidered declaration, “One Country, One Destiny."

Contrary to popular belief, there is no provenance that Brooks Brothers made a suit for President Lincoln. That "myth" began in 1918 when Brooks Brothers, on the occasion of its centenary, sent the local press (NYC) a release about its history, which included its crafting of Lincoln's overcoat. One paper inadvertently noted "suit" instead of "overcoat." And the rest is history.

Interestingly, some respected historians refer to Lincoln being buried in a Brooks Brothers' suit. Two newspapers, The New York Times and The New York World, in 1865, noted that Lincoln was buried in the suit he wore to his inauguration. Yet there is no mention in the articles of Brooks Brothers crafting the suit. And no provenance has surfaced.

Brooks Brothers crafted a greatcoat for Lincoln's inauguration. That's all we know for sure.

Many merchants supplied Lincoln with clothing and I'd be happy to provide you with the details.

RC

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 02-05-2015 09:32 AM

Correct!

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 02-05-2015 08:25 PM

Thanks for your expertise, Reignette, in giving such a detailed response and in also explaining where the incorrect idea came from that had Lincoln wearing a full outfit of Brooks Brothers apparel on April 14. It's great to have your authoritative and "inside knowledge" of that emporium working for us!

You mentioned other merchants who supplied clothing to Lincoln. As a D.C. area girl, I'd be interested in knowing of any D.C. clothiers that did so.

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 02-05-2015 09:59 PM

(02-05-2015 08:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Thanks for your expertise, Reignette, in giving such a detailed response and in also explaining where the incorrect idea came from that had Lincoln wearing a full outfit of Brooks Brothers apparel on April 14. It's great to have your authoritative and "inside knowledge" of that emporium working for us!

You mentioned other merchants who supplied clothing to Lincoln. As a D.C. area girl, I'd be interested in knowing of any D.C. clothiers that did so.

Thanks, Laurie, for your kind and generous remarks.

Although I have not yet uncovered any D.C. clothiers of President Lincoln, I found some NY and Chicago merchants who did have the honor of supplying him with clothing.

A.D. Titsworth and Bros. - Chicago merchants - crafted a suit for President Lincoln's first inauguration. An article in the January 17, 1861 edition of the Chicago Tribune titled "A Suit for the President," noted "We know of one suit . . . the "Inauguration suit, made by Messrs. A. D. Titsworth & Bros., clothiers of this city, and altogether worthy of them and of Mr. Lincoln."

In January of 1861, President Lincoln wrote a note of thanks to a Boston merchant, Isaac Fenno, for a "very substantial and handsome overcoat."

And Mary Lincoln, in October 1861, questioned a bill from W. Hindhaugh & Company, NY tailors whose business was located in the Fifth Avenue Hotel.
"There is a misunderstanding," she wrote. "Mr [Fernando] Wood without any order or unsolicited, had Mr. L. measured, for a suit of clothes. Of course, it was not supposed, they were a present from you, but Wood mentioned that they were to be presented to the President - and nothing more was thought of it, until your bill was presented."

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-06-2015 06:08 AM

Hi Reignette. I second Laurie in thanking you for all the information you provided! This is wonderful.

Apparently Lincoln was not wearing his new coat on the inaugural journey. Lincoln thanked Isaac Fenno in January, so he definitely had his new coat by the time the inaugural train departed. However, on the inaugural train, Lincoln was described as wearing a very bad hat and a very thin old overcoat. By the time the train got to the state of New York Mary Lincoln was fed up with his looks, and ordered Lincoln's valet, William Johnson, to get him a better looking hat and coat. Apparently Johnson then went to the baggage car and retrieved the items.

I wonder if the coat from Fenno was what Johnson retrieved.

Here is the text of the letter Lincoln had written to Fenno:

Private
Isaac ← Fenno → Esq Springfield Ill.
Dear Sir Jany 22 1861

Your note of the 1st inst., together with a very substantial and handsome overcoat which accompanied it by Express, were duly received by me, and would both have been acknowledged sooner but for the multifarious demands upon my time and attention.

Permit me now to thank you sincerely for your elegant and valuable New Year's Gift, and the many kind expressions of personal confidence and regard contained in your letter. Your obt Servt. A. LINCOLN.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-06-2015 03:10 PM

Great info from both of you, Reignette and Roger, thank you!!!