Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-24-2014 01:15 PM

Dave Taylor mentioned one of David Herold's sisters in another thread today and that made me think of this trivia question. David had 7 sisters - which one outlived all the rest (she died in 1930)?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 07-24-2014 01:39 PM

I believe the answer is Davy's sister Alice, who married Richard Earnshaw.

[Image: herolds-sister-alice-grave-1.jpg?w=429]

[Image: herolds-sister-alice-grave-2.jpg?w=703]

Coincidentally, Georgia Herold, another of Davy's sisters, married Richard Earnshaw's brother, John Earnshaw.

[Image: herolds-sister-georgia-grave.jpg?w=537]

All of Herold's sisters are buried in Congressional Cemetery, which is where he and his parents are also buried.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-24-2014 01:54 PM

Correct, Dave. Well done.

You win bacon, eggs, and French Toast for breakfast next time you do your John Wilkes Booth in the Woods reenactment!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-15-2014 07:42 AM

One person said Louis Weichmann discussed Mary Surratt with him privately. What person said that Weichmann told him the following?

"Some time last winter I suspected the plot against the President. I told a clerk in the War Department and he informed Stanton. Stanton gave me the choice between turning State's evidence and hanging. Terrified, I told what I had heard, and, although I believed Mrs. Surratt to be innocent, Mr. Stanton appeared to believe her guilty. I did not want her hanged."

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 08-15-2014 07:49 AM

I know John T. Ford conversed with Weichmann when they were both in the Old Capitol Prison. Could this have been something said between them?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Susan Higginbotham - 08-15-2014 08:42 AM

John Brophy?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-15-2014 09:35 AM

Excellent guess, Dave, but Susan got it. Kudos, Susan! You win best wishes for a wonderful weekend!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-18-2014 09:46 AM

Who is this man?

[Image: whoishe201.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - STS Lincolnite - 08-18-2014 10:31 AM

Well, he has a moustache so he must be John Wilkes Booth right!? Another lost photo rediscovered! Just kidding of course. Big Grin

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-18-2014 12:58 PM

Scott, I will admit this is one of the hardest ones I've ever asked as I have never seen this man's photo in any book.

Hint #1: This man was very good at something John Wilkes Booth also enjoyed in his spare time. The two men definitely knew each other.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-18-2014 02:53 PM

Hint #2: On the day before he shot President Lincoln John Wilkes Booth asked this man to do a favor for him.

RE: Assassination Trivia - PaigeBooth - 08-18-2014 03:57 PM

Hi, Mr. Norton, I'll take a stab at this.........I've always thought Sam Chester resembled Booth, but not sure if he ever asked him for a favor that close to the assassination. Since this man does look like Booth, my first guess would be Sam Chester.

However, since I know Booth asked John Matthews for a favor, my second guess would be Matthews; using your clue, I've never seen a picture of Matthews in a book or at all.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-18-2014 04:12 PM

Paige, your guesses are outstanding, and I commend you!!! However, neither one is correct. A photo of John Mathews does exist, and you can get an idea of what he looked like in this short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0aOzsuyaw

Paige, do you have Twenty Days? There is a more complete photo of Mathews on p. 203.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Wild Bill - 08-18-2014 05:38 PM

Henry Merrick

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-18-2014 06:04 PM

That is yet another outstanding guess! But it is not Merrick.

Hint #3: Like Merrick, this man worked in Washington, but not at a hotel.