Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-06-2013 06:06 AM

It's one of the Ulke brothers. I'm going to go with Julius.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 06-06-2013 07:14 AM

Close enough, Dave. It was Henry. The portrait now hangs in the White House. I also noticed in Jim and Rich's book that Henry was a participant in the 1848 Berlin revolution.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 06-06-2013 07:47 AM

When Jim volunteers at the Petersen House he finds dead bugs all the time. The Ulke's were entomologists. Have Jim mail you some. They may have belonged to the brothers.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-11-2013 01:53 PM

Well today was Field Day for our elementary school, and being out in the sun all day reminded me of this trivia question.

Which individual in the assassination story had the oddity of getting paler the longer he was in the sun?

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 06-11-2013 02:00 PM

Dr. Mudd?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-11-2013 02:06 PM

(06-11-2013 02:00 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Dr. Mudd?

Well done, Joe.

In a letter back sent by Dr. Mudd while imprisoned at Fort Jefferson, he wrote, "Owing to the peculiarity of my skin, and not much exposed to the sun, I am paler or fairer than when I left home."

So perhaps my memory was off when I thought he was in the sun, but it's still odd that a man imprisoned on a tropical island didn't tan.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 06-11-2013 07:14 PM

Sort of ironic that his name was Mudd given that he didn't tan.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Houmes - 06-11-2013 08:25 PM

(06-05-2013 09:25 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Dr. Smith is one of the few graves actually on Fort Jefferson. After Dr. Smith died of Yellow Fever in 1867, Dr. Mudd took over as garrison doctor until a new one came from the mainland.

According to his FindaGrave page, Dr. Smith's three year old son died of Yellow Fever on the very same day as he did, and his name is also on this marker.

Now that the final resting place of Henry and Clara Rathbone has been settled, are we sure that Dr. Joseph Sim Smith and his son are really buried at Fort Jefferson? The stone on the parade grounds appears more as a memorial than a gravestone and why would they place a grave in the middle of an area used for marching and military drills? The records for Fort Jefferson are notoriously scant, and early military burials inside the fort were at first assigned to the north corner. When the Yellow Fever epidemic was at a peak, accounts note that the soldiers couldn't get the dead out of the fort fast enough, with rudimentary burials on Hospital Key provided. Some of the men were even plied with whiskey as an inducement to help. Sam Arnold, by one account, noted that occasionally coffins were brought in and placed at the bedside of victims even before they were dead. Dr. Smith's wife barely survived an infection, and ended up living in Brooklyn, New York. As an officer (Brevet Major) more resources might have been available and Dr. Smith and son may have been shipped home. I found Dr. Whitehurst's grave when I was in Key West, but no Joseph or Harry Smith.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-26-2013 11:03 AM

(06-11-2013 08:25 PM)Houmes Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 09:25 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Dr. Smith is one of the few graves actually on Fort Jefferson. After Dr. Smith died of Yellow Fever in 1867, Dr. Mudd took over as garrison doctor until a new one came from the mainland.

According to his FindaGrave page, Dr. Smith's three year old son died of Yellow Fever on the very same day as he did, and his name is also on this marker.

Now that the final resting place of Henry and Clara Rathbone has been settled, are we sure that Dr. Joseph Sim Smith and his son are really buried at Fort Jefferson? The stone on the parade grounds appears more as a memorial than a gravestone and why would they place a grave in the middle of an area used for marching and military drills? The records for Fort Jefferson are notoriously scant, and early military burials inside the fort were at first assigned to the north corner. When the Yellow Fever epidemic was at a peak, accounts note that the soldiers couldn't get the dead out of the fort fast enough, with rudimentary burials on Hospital Key provided. Some of the men were even plied with whiskey as an inducement to help. Sam Arnold, by one account, noted that occasionally coffins were brought in and placed at the bedside of victims even before they were dead. Dr. Smith's wife barely survived an infection, and ended up living in Brooklyn, New York. As an officer (Brevet Major) more resources might have been available and Dr. Smith and son may have been shipped home. I found Dr. Whitehurst's grave when I was in Key West, but no Joseph or Harry Smith.

You make a good point, Blaine. It doesn't really make a lot of sense that Dr. Smith's body would be placed right in the middle of the Fort when everyone thought it was contagious. More than likely this is just a memorial to him.

Who is this?

[Image: justsomebeardedguy.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 06-26-2013 12:53 PM

Captain Dutton?

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 06-26-2013 01:34 PM

Looks like my ex-boss!! HA!!! Big Grin

Seriously, I've seen this guy before..... let me think.....

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 06-26-2013 02:33 PM

John Clarvoe?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-26-2013 03:37 PM

No one has got him yet.

I'm pretty sure you have seen this gentleman before, Betty.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 06-26-2013 04:42 PM

"GATH" when he was somewhat older than in the photos we normally see in books?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 06-26-2013 04:46 PM

'Fraid not, Roger.

I was informed by Lindsey that I may be leading people down the wrong path by saying Betty is familiar with this gentleman. Let me clarify: Betty has met a descendant of this man. Of that I am sure.