Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-05-2013 08:15 PM

The Crime Buffs Guide To Outlaw Washington, D.C.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dg5eW51xl7QC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=dr+mudd+spent+first+night+of+freedom&source=bl&ots=WQ1XBGqyGP&sig=5sSF9kfy8zCFMM_RJRcj0nWKOnE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bqARUYzpJuTJ0QHBgIHIDg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dr%20mudd%20spent%20first%20night%20of%20freedom&f=false

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 02-05-2013 08:26 PM

Well, at least I know that you read my posting about the new book - and turned it around and kicked me with it! You are learning Confederate espionage tactics after all. I'm proud of you, and Mosby would be too.

This will be easy for quite a few of you, but maybe it will edumacate some others: What does the "A" stand for in Thomas Jones's name?

Get ready, get set, GO -- before Joe hits the Google button.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-05-2013 08:29 PM

I'm observing the Rebel battle tactics and plan on using every one I can find against you soon. Get ready for a Yankee victory........

Austin

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 02-05-2013 08:35 PM

Correct. You may get a Yankee victory in a few battles, but you have to win the war.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-05-2013 08:37 PM

I may deputize some fellow Yankees soon. My score is ridiculous.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Page - 02-05-2013 09:18 PM

(02-05-2013 06:56 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: what are the correct lyrics?

Hey, Bill--

Sorry; I had missed your question. The Band's version was the original as they wrote the song. The lyrics were, ". . . till Stoneman's Cavalry came . . ."

Ms Baez sang, on her version, ". . . till so much cavalry came . . ."

I shouldn't admit this, but there is a bootleg recording of an artist and Joan Baez was allowed to do one song at that concert. She chose "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," and began introing it with a little stock commentary, using an insulting and mocking fake Southern accent. I guess that was an effort by her to appear smart or cute.

On this bootleg, I can be heard hurling an insult to her from my seat on the front row. She shut up in mid-sentence and proceeded with the song. I didn't mean to be so rude or so loud, but I was cheesed off at her arrogance.

--Jim

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-06-2013 10:14 AM

Who died in the "death room" upstairs in what is now the Garfield Furniture store?

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-06-2013 10:19 AM

John St. Helen? I think the owner of the store was also working as an embalmer/undertaker.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 02-06-2013 10:29 AM

That's it, Joe. Asked and answered in 5 minutes. You are good!

I am currently out of free tickets to Fred Smith's Wisconsin Concrete Park, but I do have two coupons good for 25% off the normal admission price. You can give the coupons to friends (or sell them if you prefer).

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-06-2013 01:06 PM

I'll take 'em! I'm back to answering on my own - no cheating on that one. It's my understanding that an undertaker in those days was more or less a side profession, or am I wrong? Like barbers also pulling teeth more or less. No?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Joe Di Cola - 02-06-2013 03:16 PM

Even as late as the 1960s I remember funeral homes in small Illinois towns like Mt. Carroll (where I went to college) in conjunction with the local furniture store, and that the undertaker was also the owner of the furniture store.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Laurie Verge - 02-06-2013 04:00 PM

I think it probably grew out of the local furniture people being the ones who had access to the wood and the skills to construct the coffins???

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-06-2013 05:01 PM

If I remember correctly, St. Helen was first displayed in the furniture store.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 02-08-2013 04:59 PM

Who is this guy?

[attachment=75]

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 02-08-2013 05:23 PM

It's a toss up between Eckert or one of the Ford brothers.