Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 01-01-2013 01:52 PM

(01-01-2013 01:35 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I believe Congressman Schwengel is the first man on the left.

Correct ... you're on your way to a special prize.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-01-2013 04:25 PM

Secretary of the Interior, Stewart Udall (far right)?

Plus Henry Liebschutz, executive secretary of the American Trucking Association?

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 01-01-2013 06:45 PM

Excellent work, Roger and Laurie!

Congressman Fred Schwengel presented the clothing to Secretary Udall (far right). And Henry Liebschutz, as executive secretary, represented the American Trucking Foundation

As you know, Brooks Brothers made the overcoat for President Lincoln at its store on Broadway and Grand Streets. Opened in 1857, the store was regarded as one of the outstanding mercantile showplaces of New York.

Your prize for solving the mystery is an unlimited shopping spree at this historic clothing emporium on Broadway and Grand (see the picture below). Stock up on frock coats, gold-headed canes, waistcoats, and high-silk hats.

And if you need a place to stay, I recommend The New York Hotel on Broadway and Waverly Place; I hear it's the mecca of the rich and aristocratic Southerners who come north for the season.

[Image: broadwayandgrand.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

... Just one problem. Broadway and Grand closed in 1870. The building, however, still stands (an architectural delight), and a drugstore occupies its ground floor. (Check it out on Google Maps.) Will you settle for a raincheck?

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 01-01-2013 07:08 PM

The raincheck will do fine since I don't qualify as a rich and aristocratic Southerner! I love the engraving, however. Makes me want to don my hoops and walk through those doors.

I kept thinking that Sen. Paul Simon of Illinois would have been at the presentation since he was such a Lincoln enthusiast.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-01-2013 07:14 PM

Many thanks, Reignette. The raincheck is fine with me, too.

Laurie, I own a copy of Paul Simon's Lincoln's Preparation for Greatness: The Illinois Legislative Years. It doesn't ever seem to get a lot of attention, but I think it does a very good job of covering the topic. Forum member Mike Burkhimer included it in his 100 Essential Lincoln Books, and the Abraham Lincoln Book Shop includes it in its list of "164 Basic Books for an Abraham Lincoln Library."

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-10-2013 04:08 PM

Who is this person?

[Image: malepersonhuman.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 01-10-2013 05:34 PM

I've got this article, Roger and can't find it!

He guarded the Lincoln Conspirators (supposedly!) and called Lew Powell "The Frenchwoman" claiming that he had to cut up Lew's food so he could eat.....he also claimed that JWB was married -

Really wacky article - I'm sure that this is the guard - I"m looking for the article and can't find it.....

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-10-2013 05:45 PM

You are on the right track, Betty!

When the judge sentenced Mary Surratt, this gentleman maintained he was in the courtroom, and Mrs. Surratt asked, "What for?" when the judge told her she must die.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-11-2013 05:53 AM

Betty is already a winner on this question, as she had identified the right man. But I am curious if anyone can provide his name.

Here's another recollection from this gentleman:

"The body of Booth was brought back to the city and was placed by the cellar of the Capital prison, mentioned above, pending an autopsy. The autopsy was delayed until the condition of the body took such a proceeding out of the question, and then a man was hired for $10 to take it out and sink it in the Potomac River."

RE: Assassination Trivia - Linda Anderson - 01-11-2013 08:02 AM

I'll send you the article, Betty, which you sent me last year.

The guard's name was John Wally. He also said, "Mrs. Surratt, who had held the horse outside the theatre for Booth while he was shooting Lincoln, who helped him mount and escape, and at whose house the conspiracy was hatched, was arrested and placed in the Capital prison, with the boy above mentioned, and the conspirators who made the futile attempt to slay Secretary Seward at the same time Lincoln was shot."

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 01-11-2013 08:16 AM

Another wacky one I have has Lew Powell's sister marrying a Union officer while Lew is on trial! Never happened!!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-11-2013 08:20 AM

Betty and Linda, you are both correct. Good job.

Mr. Wally is an interesting fellow, and his reminisces can be found online, too. Included is a photo of John Wilkes Booth's wife. Click here.

Mr. Wally came from Walleyville.

I remember when the Griswold family visited Walley World.

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 01-11-2013 08:43 AM

Yes! That's what I thought of when Linda sent me the article....The Griswolds and Walley World !!!

Wonder if Walley World is in Walleyville?! HA!

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 01-12-2013 06:30 AM

Which person in the Lincoln assassination saga died of an enlarged prostate (which was probably prostate cancer)?

He was not a conspirator, but his name is mentioned in most all Lincoln assassination books. He was a watchman at the War Department when he died in 1884, but that was not his occupation in 1865.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-12-2013 07:16 AM

Forbes?