Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Rsmyth - 12-21-2012 11:21 AM

With experts like Joe we may find additional people that put the suit coat on, so... I will give MY answer.
When the granddaughter of Alphonse Donn (Dorothy Donn Smith) decided to sell the garment, she showed it to the director of the Greensboro Historical Society, Bill Moore. Dorothy asked Bill if he wanted to try it on. He replied "I felt this was a relic that belonged to the people and I had no right to put it on. But my curiosity overcame me. I felt like this is as close as I am going to get to the man himself."

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-21-2012 01:26 PM

After the assassination Mary Lincoln received a note of condolence from the lady on horseback. What is her name?

[Image: ladyonhorse.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - DEFoster - 12-21-2012 01:33 PM

(12-21-2012 01:26 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  After the assassination Mary Lincoln received a note of condolence from the lady on horseback. What is her name?

[Image: ladyonhorse.jpg]

Queen Victoria?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-21-2012 01:58 PM

Yes, Dawn. Good job!

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 12-21-2012 09:39 PM

[attachment=56]
(12-20-2012 06:01 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I think it was Tom Pendel who put it on for an artist that was to paint Lincoln's portrait. He supposedly resembled Lincoln physically.

And the artist was Matthew Henry Wilson.

[attachment=57]

(12-21-2012 07:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Mary Lincoln gave the coat to Alphonso Donn so I'll guess him. I think part of the reason the coat is not in the greatest shape today is because Donn cut off some fragments and gave them to friends.

He sure did!

In 1940, Mr. Donn's nephew, who was 76 at the time, noted that "the lapel was cut in places where my uncle cut small pieces to give to friends."

He also referred to Pendel.

"A man named T. H. Pendel, who worked at the White House, came to my uncle's house very often, and sometimes he brought a friend to see Lincoln's suit. It was in a chest in my room. My uncle told them to go on up and he didn't go with them."

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-24-2012 02:34 PM

Which author(s) claimed to have advanced the Lincoln assassination study more in one year then it has been advanced in the previous 112 years?

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-24-2012 03:08 PM

Sellier and?. I forget the names. They wrote that looney book the 1977 movie was based on. The Lincoln Conspiracies.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 12-24-2012 04:36 PM

Charles Sellier and David Balsiger. There book was based on the infamous Harry Potter Papers.
No make that Andrew Potter Papers. Ray Neff was a "special consultant" who's atomic absorption spectrophotometer
(I want one of those for Christmas) indicated Lafayette Baker died of arsonic poisoning. My son actually used one at college to determine sodium content in potato chips. The book, The Lincoln Conspiracy states, "Colonel Baker's beer was laced with arsenic by a War Department employee"
Warning: don't eat in their cafeteria.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-24-2012 04:36 PM

That's it, Joe and Gene...The Lincoln Conspiracy by David Balsiger and Charles E. Sellier, Jr. Your prize, if you want one, is a coupon worth 5% off on a pre-owned copy of the book.

Speaking of poison, I don't recall if those authors agreed with Shelton that Herold poisoned Booth's whisky during the midnight stop at the tavern.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-31-2012 08:18 PM

What musical instrument did John Wilkes Booth play?

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 12-31-2012 08:23 PM

The flute -

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-31-2012 08:38 PM

Absolutely correct. I always wondered how well he played. A poorly played flute can be a terrible thing.

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 12-31-2012 08:47 PM

I agree.... I 've wondered too how well he played. Unfortunately Asia never said.

RE: Assassination Trivia - ReignetteC - 01-01-2013 12:25 PM

Happy New Year!

I'd like to join in on the fun with a new trivia question about the Lincoln assassination clothing.

In January of 1968, the United States Department of the Interior announced the acquisition of President Lincoln’s assassination clothes for display in the Lincoln Museum at Ford’s Theatre.

This picture is of the ceremony - held in the Theatre’s Museum - in which the clothes were presented to the Interior Department.

Mr. William Rightsell, the attorney who represented the seller, stands among three significant supporters of this historic acquisition. Who are they?

Hint: Mr. Rightsell is the #2 gentleman on the left.

[Image: photo1xxv.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The picture is courtesy of Schwengel Lincoln Collection, Special Collections Department, Pickler Memorial Library, Truman State University.

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 01-01-2013 01:35 PM

I believe Congressman Schwengel is the first man on the left.