Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 12-06-2012 09:24 AM

(12-06-2012 08:18 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  What is the weight of this plaque?

[Image: plaque.jpg]

Wonton ? (One ton) Big Grin

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-06-2012 09:26 AM

I'm more interested in the fact that the Chi-Am Lions Club funded it. Anyone have the back-story to that?

Ok, Roger. This is also only a guess-32 pounds.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-06-2012 09:38 AM

Close enough, Bill. It was 35 pounds. It cost $800 ($840) with tax.

Source: Art Loux.

Gene, good try!

RE: Assassination Trivia - Laurie Verge - 12-06-2012 11:31 AM

A group of friends (I think Betty O was one) and I were there for the unveiling of this plaque done during Chinese New Year celebrations one year in the 1990s. The building was then owned by an influential Chinese doctor, who was evidently very active in the Chi-Am Lions Club there in Chinatown.

RE: Assassination Trivia - BettyO - 12-06-2012 01:30 PM

Yes - I was there....

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-06-2012 10:34 PM

Does D.C. have Historical Landmark signs like States do?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Laurie Verge - 12-07-2012 11:05 AM

I am not positive on this, Bill, but I think the answer is basically no. Certain buildings might have plaques because owners or organizations have made the effort to mark them. There are certain areas designated as historic districts, but very little signage to note that to the tourist. There has been a movement over the past five or six years by a cultural organization to mark the sites related to the theme Trails To Freedom: From Civil War to Civil Rights.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-07-2012 11:14 AM

Thanks Laurie. In Michigan, they do have the signs-and I find them most helpful and interesting. Im not sure the same would work in D.C.-as maybe there would potentially be too many of them?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Garrett - 12-08-2012 08:39 PM

The Penns Quarter area of Washington, D.C. has a series of sign posts with general information regarding why the area is relevant to the Civil War, Lincoln Assassination, Civil Rights, Etc. There is one of these in front of the Wok N Roll aka "the nest".

I've been on travel for the past few days. Good to be back among friends.

RE: Assassination Trivia - LincolnMan - 12-09-2012 11:00 AM

Jim: are the signs you mentioned funded by D.C.?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Jim Garrett - 12-09-2012 11:20 AM

(12-09-2012 11:00 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: are the signs you mentioned funded by D.C.?

Yes they are

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 12-09-2012 02:02 PM

D.C. has a group known as Cultural Heritage Tourism, but I'm not certain that they are funded solely by the D.C. government.

The heritage trails that I had written about above, which Penns Quarter is part of (I think), are all part of Cultural Heritage Tourism. I just went on that group's website, and they are actually a non-profit 501©3 organization which depends on donations. They do seem to get funding from the Hotel Association. I'm not sure that they get any government funds at all.

Visit http://www.culturaltourismdc.org and see what you think.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 03:36 PM

The Conspirator movie was being discussed as early as 2003-2004. Some of the filming was supposed to take place in Europe.

At that time what actress was going to play Mary Surratt?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 04:41 PM

Hint #1: Her first and last name both begin with the same letter.

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-09-2012 06:28 PM

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio?