Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-27-2019 09:38 PM

By ketchup... I was referring to what Forum members were talking about when this soldier's name came up during the conversation. So the soldier's name isn't Heinz or anything related to ketchup. Maybe I was trying to be a little too sly.

I hope this confusion doesn't sink any of the progress in guessing this soldier's name.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-28-2019 02:36 AM

Hint #8: The soldiers chasing Booth and Herold crossed paths with this soldier's namesake twice. Booth and Herold only crossed paths with it once... and Booth was already dead.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-28-2019 04:38 AM

Hint #9: In my earlier hint about Julius Caesar, focus on the part of his biography about his assassination.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-28-2019 04:52 AM

Could it be Private John S. Ide?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-28-2019 05:01 AM

Yes, Roger you are right!

The soldier is Pvt. John S. Ide. The John S. Ide, the boat that shipped Booth's body back to Washington was named after him. Here is a link about the military service and death of John S. Ide:

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2018/06/28/the-good-death-of-private-john-ide-us-sharpshooters-at-yorktown-part-3/

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 07-28-2019 06:52 AM

That was a good question, Steve. Hard! The reason I originally guessed North Exeter Street was because I thought maybe the other conspirator was O'Laughlen, and he and Booth had grown up on the same street in Baltimore.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-28-2019 11:19 AM

(07-28-2019 06:52 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  That was a good question, Steve. Hard! The reason I originally guessed North Exeter Street was because I thought maybe the other conspirator was O'Laughlen, and he and Booth had grown up on the same street in Baltimore.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there are no publicly available photos or images of Pvt Ide to use in a "Who is this man?" form of trivia question.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-28-2019 04:17 PM

For those of you who are interested, after the war the government sold the John S. Ide. The ship passed through a couple of different owners and routes. Eventually, on May 7, 1886 the Ide sunk near the mouth of the Cohansey River (Delaware Bay) after running aground.

Here's a link to an image of a John S. Ide ticket when it travelling New Jersey routes:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1884-steamer-john-ide-bridgeton-phila-408786598

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 07-28-2019 07:25 PM

(07-28-2019 04:17 PM)Steve Wrote:  For those of you who are interested, after the war the government sold the John S. Ide. The ship passed through a couple of different owners and routes. Eventually, on May 7, 1886 the Ide sunk near the mouth of the Cohansey River (Delaware Bay) after running aground.

Here's a link to an image of a John S. Ide ticket when it travelling New Jersey routes:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1884-steamer-john-ide-bridgeton-phila-408786598

Thanks for that brain-stumper question and the follow-up information, Steve. I had always assumed that the John S. Ide was named after some sea captain or company owner that had given the ship over to the Union for use during the CW.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 07-29-2019 12:59 AM

(07-28-2019 07:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Thanks for that brain-stumper question and the follow-up information, Steve. I had always assumed that the John S. Ide was named after some sea captain or company owner that had given the ship over to the Union for use during the CW.

CORRECTION: I just now had to go back and delete Hint #7. My memory failed me as I was posting the hints on my phone. According to the ship's registry, it was built in Philadelphia in 1862, the same year Ide died and not a year later as I said in my hint.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-09-2019 07:39 AM

Who is this man?

[Image: lincolnassassinationtriviaquestion.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - David Lockmiller - 08-09-2019 12:20 PM

Jeff Sessions?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-09-2019 01:41 PM

Hint #1: He has been mentioned several times previously on this forum.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-09-2019 03:45 PM

Looks like a judge or lawyer?

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-09-2019 04:25 PM

(08-09-2019 03:45 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Looks like a judge or lawyer?

Nope, I am sorry, Eva. He was not a judge or a lawyer.

Hint #2: Here is the image reversed. This may be the more commonly seen version in sources.

[Image: lincolnassassinationtriviaquestion1.jpg]