Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 03:49 AM

Mick, I accidentally got it when I enlarged the pic because it automatically downloaded (including the file name). I recommend to rename it - it's a very good question!

RE: Assassination Trivia - AussieMick - 08-12-2018 04:00 AM

Whoa! You're too honest, Eva ! Sorry , you might have got it without the assistance. I'll try to re name it before the others wake up.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 04:51 AM

Mick, now the pic is gone - I think you need to upload it again and insert the new attachment number. (I didn't find it confusing btw, the comment now confuses me...as for honesty - it's an Honest Abe site...)

RE: Assassination Trivia - AussieMick - 08-12-2018 05:00 AM

Eva ... I've updated it ... see if you can get an answer now.
If you wish ... You can give a hint for the answer(s) that you think correct, to assist the others.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-12-2018 05:49 AM

Wild guess - Dr. Charles Urquhart, Jr (the doctor who was called to treat John Wilkes Booth after he was shot).

RE: Assassination Trivia - AussieMick - 08-12-2018 06:15 AM

Nope, sorry Roger.

The man #1 that I initially associated with this image would probably not be considered "good society". It may not assist but interestingly he lived 5 minutes walk away from Ford's Theater.
He was once a member of the District of Columbia's Metropolitan Police Department. But before that he was a brickie.

The other man #2 was also strongly opposed to Lincoln, well-educated, and litigious. He once sought in a famous case $500,000 in damages. He eventually won. And was awarded $5 plus costs.

Both men appeared in court. One in relation to the assassination ... the other concerning the War.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 08:01 AM

I would love assisting with hints, Mick. My first hint however would have been to advise the audience (guessers) to think of and ask yes/no questions to try to get them active first...
I actually could only figure one solution as for who is depicted (and I guess he wasn't a split personality although for certain quite a personality...)

RE: Assassination Trivia - AussieMick - 08-12-2018 08:19 AM

(08-12-2018 08:01 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I would love assisting with hints, Mick. My first hint however would have been to advise the audience (guessers) to think of and ask yes/no questions to try to get them active first...
I actually could only figure one solution as for who is depicted (and I guess he wasn't a split personality although for certain quite a personality...)

Eva has figured out who #2 is and, if she wants to, can give some hints for you others to work it out.

As for #1 ... I think Laurie would put a name to him.

Good night (have to put the garbage bins out and then bedtime).

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-12-2018 08:59 AM

(08-12-2018 08:19 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  As for #1 ... I think Laurie would put a name to him.

John Lloyd? (He was killed when a load of bricks crushed him.)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 09:11 AM

I have no clue as for who #1 is but am sure Wild Bill will know (one possibility of) who is depicted.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 12:20 PM

OK, hints referring to what I think who the gentleman likely is (obviously there are two different sources and claims, and one should be correct only, please try not to get too confused.)

Hint #1: Think Confederate.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-12-2018 12:50 PM

George P. Kane?

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-12-2018 01:02 PM

First, does "brickie" refer to a bricklayer or mason? If so, the logical answer would be that John Lloyd, the tavern keep at Surrattsville after the Surratts left, is the gentleman. BUT, to my knowledge, no one has ever found a photo of John Lloyd -- just as one has never been found of Mr. Surratt, Senior. Also, the gentleman in the photo is much older than what Lloyd would have been in 1865.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2018 01:22 PM

(08-12-2018 12:50 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  George P. Kane?
Good idea, Roger, but at least not "my solution".
Hint #2: A famous law case is named after him.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 08-12-2018 03:03 PM

The man is Lamdin P. Milligan. The Supreme Court, in Ex parte Milligan, threw out his treason conviction in 1866 because he was tried before a military court instead of a civilian court. The image definitely is Milligan because the engraving is identified as him in the official 1865 publication of his original military treason trial:

https://archive.org/stream/trialsfortreason00inpitm#page/n7