Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Assassination Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Assassination Trivia (/thread-350.html)

RE: Assassination Trivia - Gene C - 08-03-2017 11:54 AM

(08-03-2017 10:32 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  It's Rev. Abram Gillette, Lewis Powell's spiritual advisor.

I found this interesting about Rev. Gillette. Includes photo's

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/150-years-ago-today-a-knock-on-rev-a-d-gillettes-front-door.115428/

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-03-2017 12:38 PM

You win, Dave, and thanks for that link, Gene. Yes, it is Reverend Abram Dunn Gillette who gave comfort to Lewis Powell in jail and on the gallows. The photo I was most familiar with is on p. 143 of Betty O's Alias Paine (first edition) and p. 118 of her second edition. I came across the younger photo of Gillette in Vaughan Shelton's Mask for Treason.

Thank you to all who guessed!

RE: Assassination Trivia - J. Beckert - 08-03-2017 04:12 PM

This one may have been your personal best, Roger. Nice job.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-06-2017 10:22 AM

Who is this man?

[Image: mailman500.jpeg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 08-06-2017 12:55 PM

Army Surgeon Joseph J. Woodward, who assisted with both the Lincoln and Booth autopsies.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-06-2017 01:10 PM

Kudos, Steve. You are correct. Good job!

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-06-2017 01:14 PM

Many years ago, Surratt House was visited by a descendant of Woodward and loved us. She later donated one of the wooden medical boxes that he used to protect his equipment while traveling - complete with his stenciled name and address. She also donated a black parasol which she said Mrs. Woodward carried at one of the Lincoln funerals.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-07-2017 07:16 AM

People who believe it was not John Wilkes Booth at Garrett's can point to a statement made by a person who said the man accompanying David Herold wore a slipper on his right foot. The implication is that the injured leg was the right one, not the left. This does not match Booth's injury, and therefore could not be Booth who was riding with Herold.

What is the name of the man who said the man with Herold was wearing a slipper on his right foot?

RE: Assassination Trivia - Steve - 08-07-2017 02:13 PM

James Owens

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-07-2017 04:06 PM

Excellent, Steve! Yes, it was James Owens.

A few years ago Rick Smith was kind enough to share his article on Owens with this forum. The comment about the slipper on the right foot is in Owens' statement. Rick's article is here.

RE: Assassination Trivia - RJNorton - 08-12-2017 08:37 AM

This is a partial sketch of a person who is in the Lincoln assassination saga. What is his name?

[Image: partface.jpg]

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-12-2017 11:49 AM

LOUD GROAN! I just saw this sketch a few days ago while looking for something else - I just can't remember where and who is the subject.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Dave Taylor - 08-12-2017 11:56 AM

Were you looking up people at Lincoln's bedside during his death, Laurie? I only ask because that is a sketch of William Petersen.

RE: Assassination Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 08-12-2017 12:35 PM

I was going to say William Petersen but today is National Baseball Card Day so I was out getting a free pack of Topps Baseball Cards. Click the link to find a store near you: https://www.topps.com/blog/in-stadium-giveaway-dates-for-national-baseball-card-day/

The only day of the year my folks don't get mad at me for bringing home a pack or 2 of cards

RE: Assassination Trivia - L Verge - 08-12-2017 01:26 PM

(08-12-2017 11:56 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Were you looking up people at Lincoln's bedside during his death, Laurie? I only ask because that is a sketch of William Petersen.

That's exactly what it was, Dave. I came across an obscure article about the black Dr. Abbott and a fellow black doctor (that I cannot remember the name of now). We had an article on Dr. Abbott many years ago in the Surratt Courier, but this one mentioned that Abbott was said to have been at Lincoln's death scene. I didn't remember ever seeing that and was doing some googling until my regular job got in the way.