Lincoln Discussion Symposium
St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel (/thread-3399.html)

St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel - SSlater - 06-16-2017 12:51 AM

I am glad I didn't know about this program in advance. TRAVEL Channel botched it from the beginning. It was a 15 minutes segment of the I hour "Mysteries in the Museum" I'm glad I didn't recommend it to you. It was the story of the St. Albans Raiders.
To begin with, the Confederate Soldiers wore handkerchiefs tied across their face like common thieves. No one was in Uniform. They did get Bennett Young's name correct, but they didn't name anyone else. They made a big thing about the "Greek Fire". They showed Confederate's with Whiskey Bottles half full of Gasoline and a long rag hanging out of the top, that they lite . The program said that this failed BECAUSE it was raining and the buildings were all wet. The Confederates were run out of town, and were chased into Canada, but they were all captured.
If that's their best - they won't have watchers very long. I have no idea about what they wanted to accomplish.

RE: St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel - RJNorton - 06-16-2017 04:54 AM

John, this is not the first time a show on the Travel Channel received a poor review on this forum. That channel had a show in 2014, and Betty (plus others) reviewed it here.

RE: St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel - Gene C - 06-16-2017 11:01 AM

Here is a short 2:15 minute clip of the show, but it is preceded by a 30 second commercial.

http://www.travelchannel.com/videos/keeping-st-albans-safe-0235643

RE: St. Albans Story on TRAVEL Channel - L Verge - 06-16-2017 01:03 PM

They filmed a segment of "Mysteries at the Museum" at Surratt House several months ago as part of a show on the assassination and flight of Booth. I'm holding my breath to see the final results. A former supervisor used to tell me that all publicity (good or bad) is good publicity. I like publicity, but I don't appreciate bad history when any production crew has access to good historians.