Lincoln Discussion Symposium
The Surratts in the 1860 census - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: The Surratts in the 1860 census (/thread-3329.html)

The Surratts in the 1860 census - Susan Higginbotham - 03-25-2017 10:31 AM

I was looking at the entry for the Surratt family in the 1860 census and noticed that in addition to John Sr., Mary, and the three children, there is a 59-year-old man named H. D. Dyson, whose occupation is given as a teacher, and a 16-year-old girl named Elizabeth Knott, whose occupation is not given. Does anyone know anything about these two people and their relationship, if any, to the Surratts?

RE: The Surratts in the 1860 census - L Verge - 03-25-2017 11:38 AM

No known relationship to the Surratts. Dyson (a local name related to the Piscataway area) boarded for a while at the tavern, evidently sharing his domain with gentlemen travelers in the one bedroom used for that purpose. I have no idea where he taught since there were no schools nearby.

Elizabeth Knott was probably the daughter of the barkeep that assisted Mr. Surratt. I believe he gave brief testimony in the 1865 trial. I have no idea where she lived in the house unless she shared Anna's room. That census is the only place that I know she is named (but not her father). His name is sometimes spelled Nott.

RE: The Surratts in the 1860 census - RJNorton - 03-25-2017 02:02 PM

A few folks had a brief discussion of William Hatch Dent Dyson here.

RE: The Surratts in the 1860 census - Susan Higginbotham - 03-25-2017 07:57 PM

Thanks to both of you!