Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Laura Keene - A Biography - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Laura Keene - A Biography (/thread-3260.html)

Laura Keene - A Biography - Gene C - 01-28-2017 09:22 PM

My interest is in other areas, but I'm sure someone out there in 'Lincoln Discussion Symposium Land' might be interested in this.

https://www.amazon.com/Laura-Keene-Biography-Ben-Henneke/dp/0933031319/ref=sr_1_742?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485652107&sr=1-742&keywords=lincoln+biography

"Although the author, a former president of the University of Tulsa, imaginatively interpolates much of his subject's personal life, this biography offers a meticulously detailed view of mid-19th-century American theater. Illustrations."

A good used copy can be purchase for $0.01 to $0.25
(or more)

RE: Laura Keene - A Biography - LincolnMan - 01-29-2017 08:11 AM

The description on Amazon sounds pretty good.

RE: Laura Keene - A Biography - L Verge - 01-29-2017 01:49 PM

Dr. Henneke was a member of the Surratt Society for years, and we likewise sold this book in our gift shop for years. I believe that I am correct in saying that he was one of the first to write on Ms. Keene. I have to admit that I only skimmed the book way back when, so Tom Bogar would be a better person to critique the work. However, I was impressed with it at the time.

RE: Laura Keene - A Biography - Tom Bogar - 01-29-2017 06:45 PM

Gene, my copy of the Henneke book was quite helpful in researching and writing. There are a few gaps and generalizations that are partly remedied by the (more subjective) earlier John Cheahan book (also worth getting a copy of). I was fortunate to be granted access to Dr. Henneke's papers in Tulsa shortly before his death, and there were boxes and boxes of info (and a mint carte de visite of JWB just lying loose in one!) that seemed to be anecdotal material that he wasn't able to fit into the book. So, bottom line: the Henneke bio is a good investment at any reasonable price.