Lincoln Discussion Symposium
A simple one - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: A simple one (/thread-32.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: A simple one - Dave Taylor - 09-07-2012 05:57 PM

(09-07-2012 10:29 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Another easy one.

Who did this and why is it remembered?

Best
Rob

[Image: statuea.jpg]

I don't know, but Maddie just posted a picture of an eerily similar statue located in Manchester in the "totally random" thread.

Quote:[Image: 450px-Abraham_lincoln_manchester_england.jpg]

RE: A simple one - Rob Wick - 09-07-2012 06:07 PM

They are "eerily" similar, Dave, because the same person was responsible for them.

I wondered if anyone would notice that. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: A simple one - Joe Di Cola - 09-07-2012 06:17 PM

(09-07-2012 06:07 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  They are "eerily" similar, Dave, because the same person was responsible for them.

I wondered if anyone would notice that. Smile

Best
Rob

The statue is by George Gray Barnard and was the subject of a bitter controversy between Robert T Lincoln, the artist, and decisions over where to put the statue. It ended by in Manchester, UK after being rejected on RTL's pleadings from being erected near the Houses of Parliament in London--where a copy of the Lincoln Park St. Gaudens Lincoln now stands. Robert wrote of it: "...a onstrous figure which is grotesque as a likeness of President Lincoln and defamatory as an effigy." See Ch 23 of Jason Emerson's bio of DTL for details.

RE: A simple one - Rob Wick - 09-07-2012 08:14 PM

Of course you are correct Joe. Interestingly, to me anyway, is that Tarbell liked it, and even defended it in a magazine article.

Your prize is a statue of yourself sculpted by Barnard. I'm not sure of his e-mail address. Big Grin

Best
Rob