Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters (/thread-3101.html)

Pages: 1 2

Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - BettyO - 08-09-2016 02:23 PM

Several years back, I, along with Barry Cauchon and John Elliott, uncovered the names of the Press reporters (and yes, there WAS an "AP" in 1865) who covered the Conspiracy Trial. I've been digging around a bit with the Wirz Trial and execution today and took a really good look at the press reporters photographed by Alexander Gardner on the morning of the hanging, November 10, 1865 at the Old Captiol Annex. I found out that there is a "Key" as to the identities of these guys and I bet dimes to donuts that most of this press gang also covered the Conspiracy Trial and Execution as well.

I am currently waiting for the LOC to forward me the "Key" so we can have a look-see at these fellows and determine who is who! BTW - I don't see GATH amongst this crew....

[attachment=2362]

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Gene C - 08-09-2016 02:50 PM

Cool picture Betty.
I noticed a few of the reporters are even pretending to take notes on their tablets
Rolleyes

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - L Verge - 08-09-2016 06:44 PM

(08-09-2016 02:23 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Several years back, I, along with Barry Cauchon and John Elliott, uncovered the names of the Press reporters (and yes, there WAS an "AP" in 1865) who covered the Conspiracy Trial. I've been digging around a bit with the Wirz Trial and execution today and took a really good look at the press reporters photographed by Alexander Gardner on the morning of the hanging, November 10, 1865 at the Old Captiol Annex. I found out that there is a "Key" as to the identities of these guys and I bet dimes to donuts that most of this press gang also covered the Conspiracy Trial and Execution as well.

I am currently waiting for the LOC to forward me the "Key" so we can have a look-see at these fellows and determine who is who! BTW - I don't see GATH amongst this crew....

Sure hope they send the key. Wonder if the cop is Richards? Notice the "conductor" hats on two of the men - much like the mystery photo we were discussing last week.

Just found this interesting tidbit about the first execution in Washington, D.C.:

First Hanging in the District: The first case for murder was tried the same year when James Mc Girk, an Irish immigrant bricklayer was tried in April 1802 in the Federal Circuit Court for the murder of his wife. McGirk was convicted and sentenced to death by hanging. After various appeals including an attempt to gain a presidential pardon McGirk was hung from a gallows on October 10, 1802. The temporary gallows was erected at the foot of Capitol Hill. Large crowds attended the day of his execution and after the first attempt to hang Mc Girk, failed, a second try was made, and a new rope placed around his neck. McGirk then jumped from the gallows and snapped his neck. The crowd rapidly gathered around his corpse to gain bits of the hangman rope which were widely believed to cure head ache and tooth ache. Washington Federalist, April 14, 1802 and November 23, 1802. The last hanging open to the general public was that of Charles Guiteau, hanged on June 30, 1882, before a crowd of 4,000. Guiteau had shot President James A. Garfield twice in the back on July 2, 1881.

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - BettyO - 08-10-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:First Hanging in the District: The first case for murder was tried the same year when James Mc Girk, an Irish immigrant bricklayer was tried in April 1802 in the Federal Circuit Court for the murder of his wife. McGirk was convicted and sentenced to death by hanging. After various appeals including an attempt to gain a presidential pardon McGirk was hung from a gallows on October 10, 1802. The temporary gallows was erected at the foot of Capitol Hill. Large crowds attended the day of his execution and after the first attempt to hang Mc Girk, failed, a second try was made, and a new rope placed around his neck. McGirk then jumped from the gallows and snapped his neck. The crowd rapidly gathered around his corpse to gain bits of the hangman rope which were widely believed to cure head ache and tooth ache. Washington Federalist, April 14, 1802 and November 23, 1802. The last hanging open to the general public was that of Charles Guiteau, hanged on June 30, 1882, before a crowd of 4,000. Guiteau had shot President James A. Garfield twice in the back on July 2, 1881.

Fascinating info, Laurie! Thanks - never heard of this one.... Sounds to me like the fellow was attempting to committ suicide since he jumped from the gallows! Usually after the first attempt at hanging failed, the condemned was set free (according to custom).....

Boy – the LOC works FAST! Got the info while I was at work late last night – so here tis….

We have a FEW faces to attach to names. For starters, just WHY 2 actors were present at the hanging of Wirz, I don’t know. But we have these reporters/correspondents present at the Wirz execution as well as having participated at the Conspiracy Trial and Execution – to wit:

# 3 – Our own BEN PERLEY POORE

# 4 - L. A. GOBRIGHTAssociated Press

# 7 - C. S. NOYESWashington Star

# 8 - JAMES CROGGONWashington Star

Now, I know this is probably far-fetched….but the fellow standing directly behind the Metropolitan Police Officer (love the big badge he’s wearing!) in the “RR Conductor” type hat and holding a pad, appears to me more than somewhat emaciated and looks “consumptive”…. I’m therefore beginning to wonder, although he’s not identified, if he is indeed our friend, RICHARD (R.F.) BOISEAU, of the Daily National Republican. Boiseau died of consumption (TB) on August 26, 1879 at 37 years of age.

Several of the other gentlemen are unidentified, but have their pencils and pads at the ready -

[attachment=2363]

[attachment=2364]

[attachment=2365]

[attachment=2366]

PDF of entire Photo "Key" to come soon....

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Gene C - 08-10-2016 07:56 AM

(08-10-2016 07:02 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Now, I know this is probably far-fetched….but the fellow standing directly behind the Metropolitan Police Officer (love the big badge he’s wearing!) in the “RR Conductor” type hat and holding a pad, appears to me more than somewhat emaciated and looks “consumptive”…. I’m therefore beginning to wonder, although he’s not identified, if he is indeed our friend, RICHARD (R.F.) BOISEAU, of the Daily National Republican. Boiseau died of consumption (TB) on August 26, 1879 at 37 years of age.

Not that far fetched Betty (great photo's, especially that last one)

Odd Conspiracy Theory # 86
That's not Boiseau, but John Wilkes Booth. By the time this last photo was taken, he still hadn't fully recovered from his broken leg (the walking stick) and his escape from Garrett's barn and his life on the run. That is why he is almost unrecognizable, looks so thin, and he's wearing a hat because his dark curly hair has thinned so much and streaked with gray. Notice his mustache just doesn't give his face the character that it used to.

Booth had returned to Washington to try to clear his name (like he said in his diary), and while attending the hanging of Wirtz realizes that idea will not work. Caught up in the moment, he vainly has his picture taken with this group, only to realize that was a mistake, and he might as well escape to India, Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma.
It's all going to be detailed in the next National Geographic Special, "Killing Wirtz". (I hope I didn't spoil that for anyone)
Cool

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - BettyO - 08-10-2016 08:15 AM

Great take, Gene!!

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - RJNorton - 08-10-2016 08:25 AM

(08-10-2016 07:02 AM)BettyO Wrote:  PDF of entire Photo "Key" to come soon....

Thanks, Betty. Here it is.

I remember Lawrence Gobright as the man who gave Booth's gun to the police. William Kent found it and gave it to Gobright.

Back in January 2014 Ed Steers posted a photo of Gobright here.

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - BettyO - 08-10-2016 08:39 AM

Fantastic....

Thanks, Roger --

And it's wonderful to see another photo of Gobright!

Just found out that Coggon was one of the longest and oldest reporters for the Star - He was present at the autopsy of JWB and he's buried at Congressional.....died August 22, 1916. Noyes died as Editor of the Star in 1908. Huge write-up on him....

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Christine - 08-25-2016 08:25 PM

I believe Aiken possibly attended the Wirtz trial. Hmmm. Would be amazing to find a picture of him.

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Jim Woodall - 06-06-2017 04:57 AM

In the Harper's Weekly, vol 9 for 1865 link, in the June 3 issue, pg 344/345 is an etching of the Surratt Trial (as on placard at Fort McNair). Looks like they show the reporters' table. If the people are drawn akin to their actual looks, has anyone identified who the reporters are for the equivalent images.

Likewise on pg 577 of issue Sep 16, an etching/sketch of the Wirz trial and reporters' table looks to be represented. Again, has anyone taken a stab at identifying the reporters by image?

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - RJNorton - 06-06-2017 07:48 AM

I am posting the images Jim is asking about:

[Image: surratttrial200.jpg]

[Image: wirtztrial200.jpg]

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Gene C - 06-06-2017 09:51 AM

Isn't that Geraldo Rivera, second on the right?
He's getting clues for the missing St Albans bank robbery money (change that to Confederate Raid money), that was hidden in Al Capone's vault.

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - Thomas Kearney - 06-07-2017 07:58 PM

(06-06-2017 09:51 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Isn't that Geraldo Rivera, second on the right?
He's getting clues for the missing St Albans bank robbery money (change that to Confederate Raid money), that was hidden in Al Capone's vault.

Geraldo Rivera wasn't even born yet. Big Grin

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - L Verge - 06-07-2017 08:29 PM

(06-07-2017 07:58 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 09:51 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Isn't that Geraldo Rivera, second on the right?

Geraldo Rivera wasn't even born yet. Big Grin

Duh!!

RE: Conspiracy Trial Press Reporters - JMadonna - 09-16-2018 03:25 PM

Does anyone know if Lawrence Gobright was the only AP reporter in town. I know that the AP did not suppress Sanford Conover's aliases which greatly benefited George Sanders's effort to disrupt the government case at the trial. By process of elimination I'm trying to determine if Gobright was the man.