Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln- the man for every politician. - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln- the man for every politician. (/thread-2885.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 02-27-2016 03:39 PM

I've been posting images on FaceBook of past and present political campaign badges featuring political candidates and Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Lincoln finds favor with politicians of every stripe it seems. I think that various viewpoints can be found with Lincoln that are also found among the various political parties. If given consideration, what would you all think reonates regarding Lincoln with Republicans, Democrats, and any of the other parties?

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - ELCore - 02-27-2016 04:12 PM

Would Abraham Lincoln Be a Democrat Today?

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - RJNorton - 02-27-2016 04:20 PM

(02-27-2016 03:39 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Mr. Lincoln finds favor with politicians of every stripe it seems.

At least in my lifetime I believe more politicians use quotes from Lincoln than any other President (although sometimes the quotes used are wrongly attributed to Lincoln - such as Ronald Reagan using the "10 Cannots").

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 02-27-2016 04:31 PM

Roger: agree with that. I realize that using Lincoln during a political campaign has it's potential advantages. Still, I also find it interesting that Lincoln's philosophies (for lack of a better term) find some alignment with the various parties. In part, I think this speaks to how complex Lincoln was.

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - RJNorton - 02-27-2016 04:45 PM

(02-27-2016 04:31 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Roger: agree with that. I realize that using Lincoln during a political campaign has it's potential advantages. Still, I also find it interesting that Lincoln's philosophies (for lack of a better term) find some alignment with the various parties. In part, I think this speaks to how complex Lincoln was.

Agreed, Bill.

I found this clip of Ronald Reagan using part of the "Ten Cannots" and wrongly attributing them to Lincoln.

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 02-28-2016 07:20 AM

One of the badges I own features Lincoln and Trump as "true Republicans." Somevof my friends have reacted strongly to the pairing. I mentioned in another post that one writer likened Trump unto Jackson. Is there something in the Trump effort that is Lincolnish? (Not sure if that is a word!).

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - Wild Bill - 02-28-2016 10:56 AM

You'll ought to read David Donald's "Getting Right with Lincoln," in his Lincoln reconsidered (1956)He points out that everyone from right to left across the political spectrum wants to identify with Lincoln--even if they do not.

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 02-28-2016 02:13 PM

Good recommendation!

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - Eva Elisabeth - 02-28-2016 02:55 PM

"Lincoln Reconsidered" is a must-read&-have IMO.

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 02-28-2016 03:09 PM

Since it was published in 1956 I wish there was an updated book along the same lines.

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - Wild Bill - 02-28-2016 04:05 PM

Another related article available in larger libraries is T. Harry Williams, "Abraham Lincoln: Principle and Pragmatism in Politics," Mississippi Valley Historical Review, 40 (June 1953), 89-108.

Laurie, I think this is where I got Williams' notion that Lincoln was not wedded to any single Reconstruction approach

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 08-12-2016 10:26 PM

I have a political badge from 1968 for Richard Nixon featuring Lincoln, Washington, and TR.
The slogan is: "Give America another great president"
Reminds me of Trump's "Let's make America great again."
Some things don't change...

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - ELCore - 08-18-2016 10:35 PM

(08-12-2016 10:26 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I have a political badge from 1968 for Richard Nixon featuring Lincoln, Washington, and TR.
The slogan is: "Give America another great president"
Reminds me of Trump's "Let's make America great again."
Some things don't change...

You can watch Bill Clinton's 1991 presidential campaign announcement on C-SPAN. Towards the end, about the 34:00 mark, he told the crowd, "I believe together we can make America great again".

I am not making this up. Smile

C-SPAN

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - LincolnMan - 08-19-2016 07:43 AM

Nothing new under the sun...

RE: Lincoln- the man for every politician. - RJNorton - 08-19-2016 08:30 AM

There's also a 6 second video of it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ojuOt-TnU