Lincoln Discussion Symposium
David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" (/thread-280.html)

David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - Karen S. Campbell - 08-27-2012 03:10 PM

This is a great interview of David Strathairn who plays Seward in Speilberg's "Lincoln." It is the first of two parts.
http://auburnpub.com/lifestyles/lincoln-s-seward-a-conversation-with-david-strathairn-about-portraying/article_48fd7cc1-ba6d-56d3-9aa4-b4eeb7cc56e7.html

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - RJNorton - 08-27-2012 03:46 PM

Thanks for posting this, Karen!

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - LincolnMan - 08-27-2012 04:40 PM

Great interview. As I was reading the interview I thought Lincoln laying down on the bed with the re-cooperating Seward-engaging in conversation in such an informal manner. They made quite a team.

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - BettyO - 08-27-2012 06:32 PM

Wonderful interview! Thanks ever so very, very much -- I can't WAIT to see this movie! Being on set was wonderful and I saw Mr. Strathairn several times - most of the time with his iPod plugged in while in period dress! I was dying to know what sort of "tunes" Mr. Seward liked! HA!

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - Craig Hipkins - 08-27-2012 08:54 PM

I believe that he will make a convincing Seward.

Craig

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - JMadonna - 09-26-2012 08:50 AM

Speaking of Seward...Is there anyone on this board who knows where to find an account of how (or why) Lincoln approached Seward to be Secretary of State?

I'm pretty sure, I have it somewhere in my myriad of books but I can't seem to lay my hands on the politics behind the appointment. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - Joe Di Cola - 09-26-2012 09:55 AM

(09-26-2012 08:50 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  Speaking of Seward...Is there anyone on this board who knows where to find an account of how (or why) Lincoln approached Seward to be Secretary of State?

I'm pretty sure, I have it somewhere in my myriad of books but I can't seem to lay my hands on the politics behind the appointment. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry,

One of the best sources would be Doris Kearns Goodwin's TEAM OF RIVALS.

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - JMadonna - 09-26-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks Joe,
But as large as that book is, she doesn't have what I was looking for.

Jerry

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - Rob Wick - 09-26-2012 06:01 PM

Have you tried Burton Hendrick's book Lincoln's War Cabinet?

Best
Rob

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - JMadonna - 09-26-2012 07:46 PM

No, I haven't looked there. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I know Weed advocated it and Mary vehemently objected to it, but I think it was after Seward scuttled the Crittenden Compromise that Lincoln was convinced of his loyalty and offered him the position. Can anyone confirm that scenario?

RE: David Strathairn as Seward in "Lincoln" - LincolnMan - 12-01-2012 08:36 PM

David Strathairn made a great Seward in the movie, I thought. He resembled Seward enough physically to pass off as Seward pretty well, too.