Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this lady? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this lady? (/thread-279.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Who is this lady? - RJNorton - 02-28-2014 10:16 AM

Terrific, Eva! After her father was killed Abraham Lincoln wrote her a magnificent letter of condolence.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/mccull.htm

RE: Who is this lady? - Gene C - 02-28-2014 11:02 AM

A touching letter (especially the last sentence in the first paragraph), and he should know about this type of grief, as his own son had died earlier in Feb of the same year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/willie-lincolns-death-a-private-agony-for-a-president-facing-a-nation-of-pain/2011/09/29/gIQAv7Z7SL_story.html

RE: Who is this lady? - RJNorton - 03-03-2014 09:51 AM

This lady was vice-president of the Ladies National Covenant. Who is she?

[Image: mysterylady102.jpg]

RE: Who is this lady? - Houmes - 03-03-2014 10:20 AM

(03-03-2014 09:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  This lady was vice-president of the Ladies National Covenant. Who is she?

[Image: mysterylady102.jpg]

Adele Douglas?

RE: Who is this lady? - RJNorton - 03-03-2014 11:47 AM

Right, Blaine. Good job. I came across her name as vice-president when I looked up the Ladies National Covenant which Eva mentioned in a post earlier today.

RE: Who is this lady? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-23-2014 05:16 AM

Who is this lady?
[attachment=719]

RE: Who is this lady? - BettyO - 06-23-2014 06:08 AM

The "Divine Sarah" Bernhart?

RE: Who is this lady? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-23-2014 08:33 AM

DIVINE, Betty!!! Kudos!!!

During Mary's journey back to the USA from her second trip to Europe aboard the steamer "L'Amerique", Sarah Bernardt saved Mary from falling headfirst down a stairway. "You might have been killed, Madame," Bernhardt said. Mary replied: "Yes, but it was not God's will." Bernhardt later remarked: "I had just done this unhappy woman the only service I ought not to habe done her - I saved her from death." Mary disembarked almost unnoticed when huge crowds met Bernhardt on the docks upon the ship's arrival in NY.

Now, why was Sarah Bernardt divine? Here's a summary of the most interesting (IMO, and not all to find on wiki), for more info, also on her private life, please go here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Bernhardt

Sarah Bernardt (1844 -1923) was a French stage and early film actress, and had also studied painting and sculpture. She started her stage career in 1862, and by the 1870s was in demand all over Europe and in America. She developed a reputation as a serious dramatic actress, earning the nickname "The Divine Sarah", and was referred to as "the most famous actress the world has ever known." She often slept in her famous coffin in lieu of a bed – claiming that doing so helped her understand her many tragic roles.This is she as Hamlet:
[attachment=721]
With the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war performances were stopped and Sarah converted the theatre into a makeshift hospital where she took care of the soldiers wounded on the battlefield.

In 1905, while performing in Victorien Sardou's "La Tosca" in Teatro Lírico do Rio de Janeiro, Bernhardt injured her right knee when jumping off the parapet in the final scene. The leg never healed properly. By 1915, gangrene had set in and her entire right leg was amputated. She refused a $10,000 offer to display her amputated leg as a medical curiosity. She continued her career, often without using her wooden prosthetic limb. Despite limited mobility on the stage, the charm of her voice ensured her triumphs.

Sarah Bernardt has a star on the "Hollywood Walk of Fame", and the 1982 "Lucky Luke" vol.#49 was dedicated to her:
[attachment=722]
The "role of her life" was "La Dame aux camélias", in which she had performed over and over on stage as well as in a 1911 silent movie. This is Alfons Maria Muchas' famous1896 Art Nouveau graphic advertisement for "La Dame aux camélias":
[attachment=723]
Betty, you win tickets for one of my favorite versions of "La Dame aux camélias", the ballet with music by Chopin:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YfoltRyOWg
...or Verdi's "La Traviata" - yes, same story, and beautiful music!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9esmiUsChGE

RE: Who is this lady? - BettyO - 06-23-2014 06:01 PM

Ah - Dumas' La Dame aux Camélias is one of my literary favorites! I've seen many film versions - and it was based on the life of one Marie Duplessis, a lovely young short-lived courtesan, who was also once Dumas fils mistress.

[attachment=725]

The lovely Marie Dupless - the real-life Camille.....

Sarah Bernhart is a facinating woman - I have two very good biographies of her - I also have a voice recording of her which can also be found here:

http://www.openculture.com/2013/07/rare-1910-audio-sarah-bernhardt-the-most-famous-actress-the-world-has-ever-known-in-racines-phedre.html

RE: Who is this lady? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-23-2014 06:26 PM

Fascinating recording, Betty! (Cool website at all, BTW.)

RE: Who is this lady? - BettyO - 06-23-2014 07:21 PM

I literally adore these period recordings because they put a voice to a face; making history really "up close" and personal, and in this instance, there is actual film footage and you can both see AND hear one of the greatest actresses of the 19th Century! It is ultra cool....

RE: Who is this lady? - L Verge - 06-23-2014 07:37 PM

She actually had a softer, higher-pitched voice than what I had imagined she would have. Thanks for sharing.

RE: Who is this lady? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-24-2014 08:03 AM

I forgot: Victor Lemoine dedicated a peony to her which is said to be the worldwide most selling peony cultivar.
[attachment=728] [attachment=730] [attachment=729]
One last aside: Victor Lemoine (1823-1911) was a celebrated French flower breeder who also created many of today's lilac varieties. (As a result of his accomplishments, the term French lilac has come to mean all cultivars of the common lilac that have double flowers, regardless of their origin.)

RE: Who is this lady? - RJNorton - 06-24-2014 03:45 PM

(06-23-2014 08:33 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  During Mary's journey back to the USA from her second trip to Europe aboard the steamer "L'Amerique", Sarah Bernardt saved Mary from falling headfirst down a stairway. "You might have been killed, Madame," Bernhardt said. Mary replied: "Yes, but it was not God's will." Bernhardt later remarked: "I had just done this unhappy woman the only service I ought not to habe done her - I saved her from death." Mary disembarked almost unnoticed when huge crowds met Bernhardt on the docks upon the ship's arrival in NY.

Eva, thank you for mentioning this incident. After reading your terrific post I tried to find the entirety of what Sarah Bernhardt wrote about saving Mary. Here it is:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"On the fourth day I dressed at seven o'clock and went on deck to have some fresh air. It was icy cold, and as I walked up and down I met a lady dressed in black with a sad resigned face. The sea looked gloomy and colourless, and there were no waves. Suddenly a wild billow dashed so violently against the ship that we were both thrown down. I immediately clutched hold of the leg of one of the benches, but the unfortunate lady was flung forward. Springing to my feet with a bound, I was just in time to seize hold of the skirt of her dress, and with the help of my maid and a sailor managed to prevent the poor woman from falling head first down the staircase. Very much hurt though she was, and a trifle confused, she thanked me in such a gentle dreamy voice that my heart began to beat with emotion.

"You might have been killed, Madame," I said, "down that horrible staircase."

"Yes," she answered, with a sigh of regret; "but it was not God's will."

"Are you not Madame Hessler?" she continued, looking earnestly at me.

"No, Madame," I answered; "my name is Sarah Bernhardt."

She stepped back and drawing herself up, her face very pale and her brows knitted, she said in a mournful voice, a voice that was scarcely audible, "I am the widow of President Lincoln."

I too stepped back, and a thrill of anguish ran through me, for I had just done this unhappy woman the only service that I ought not to have done her--I had saved her from death. Her husband had been assassinated by an actor, Booth, and it was an actress who had now prevented her from joining her beloved husband."

RE: Who is this lady? - Eva Elisabeth - 06-24-2014 07:54 PM

Very touching and fascinating, thanks for finding and posting the entire account, Roger!