Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 04-12-2014 09:22 PM

Rats. Just when I was making a comeback, too...

I'll adjust the score. Don't bother Miss Paige. I think she's back home in Grinder's Switch having to explain to folks why she looks like my avatar!

Oh. One more thing. I think you're missing a shot glass....

Rebels 36.5
Yankee 22.5

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Eva Elisabeth - 04-13-2014 10:20 AM

Since according to James McPherson ("What They Fought For") over 516,000 Germans and 216,000 German-born soldiers fought for the Union, stumping Yankees in some way also concerns me, and I feel the need to say: Never give up, Herr Beckert! Remember that Dixie has been Union property since the fall of Richmond! And for those who wanna go back to Dixie:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1061.html

I hope the following question helps the Yankee's lonesome fight for score - and to prevent the avatar once looking like this:
[attachment=535]
Regarding Southerners' attempts of secession - who predicted in 1860 that "when old Abe [was] elected...they would secede again and this time would take two drinks but come back again"?

I'm currently on furlough, er, vacation, and not able to host the question as regularly as usual, thus please feel free to post other questions, too!

PS: According to John Hanks, Lincoln ate cornbread while reading, didn't he? So cornbread-eaters are in good company...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - PaigeBooth - 04-13-2014 10:36 AM

Well, well. Looks like Laurie Verge Stumped the Yankee!!! I'm glad to see we Rebels are ahead! I've been thinking of another questioned for you Mr. Yankee Joe, perhaps you might like to answer it- unless of course you're scared the question will be remind you of rattlesnakes again!
Here it is: What were the names of JWB's favorite New York prostitutes?
I'll be waiting for my answer. Oh, yes- this is a 10 point question.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 04-13-2014 10:43 AM

(04-13-2014 10:20 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Regarding Southerners' attempts of secession - who predicted in 1860 that "when old Abe [was] elected...they would secede again and this time would take two drinks but come back again"?

Hi Eva. I hope you are enjoying your vacation. Would it be Carl Schurz?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 04-13-2014 10:46 AM

Hang on Miss Paige. Did you meet my friend the German Yankee, Frau Eva yet? It looks like I'm finally getting some help! Let's get her question out of the way first, then I'll gladly spank you again. I can't believe you healed up so quick. When I get through thrashing you next time, your grandchildren are going to be born feeling dizzy.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - PaigeBooth - 04-13-2014 10:58 AM

NO THANK YOU, MR. YANKEE. I'm smarter than you think- I'm not about to let you swindle extra time out of me on this one. I'd like my question answered first. Oh, yes- AND JUST AS I WAS GIVEN A TIME LIMIT ON MY ANSWER, I WOULD LIKE MY QUESTION ANSWERED BY THIS TIME TOMORROW!
I'll be waiting for your response while I sing the lyrics of Dixie.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 04-13-2014 11:26 AM

Well, ain't you just the sassiest little thing??!! O.K., I'll be on this then. Be back as soon as I can find another switch....

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Eva Elisabeth - 04-13-2014 12:14 PM

(04-13-2014 10:43 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(04-13-2014 10:20 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Regarding Southerners' attempts of secession - who predicted in 1860 that "when old Abe [was] elected...they would secede again and this time would take two drinks but come back again"?

Hi Eva. I hope you are enjoying your vacation. Would it be Carl Schurz?
Thanks, Roger. Brilliant as always, it was Carl Schurz. Now I'm not sure if my first-aid attempt was successful as I don't know for whom you score...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 04-13-2014 12:23 PM

I'm shocked, yes shocked that a delicate young flower of the south would ask such an indelicate question.

"Oh dear, oh dear, where are my smelling salts?"
http://movie-sounds.org/old-movie-samples/gone-with-the-wind-1939/oh-dear-oh-dear-where-are-my-smelling-salts

Now that we've got that out of the way....

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 04-13-2014 12:30 PM

O.K., you incorrigible littel Rebel, here's my first reply. Keep in mind 3 hints are customary before you claim victory and start running around waving the Stars and Bars! (Unless it's an Extra Point Challenge question.)

Annie Horton & Sally Andrews.

If I'm right, you get your sassy tail up there and change that scoreboard right now, missy!

Eva - thanks for the attempt at a joint effort in squashing the Rebellion. Please assign a point value to your question. Being Roger bats for the Rebels usually, one point should be fine...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 04-13-2014 01:26 PM

To my red-headed Rebel pal, Miz Betty -- I think we have a natural-born Scarlett that needs very little training in how to deal with them Yankees! She's making me feel like Aunt Pitty-Pat or, at the very least, Miz Melanie...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 04-13-2014 02:02 PM

(04-13-2014 12:30 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Being Roger bats for the Rebels usually, one point should be fine...

Joe, I was raised in Illinois and spent 51 years there. I thought I was scoring point(s) for the Yankee.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 04-13-2014 02:14 PM

O.K., Roger. The Board of Ethical Conduct tips their hats to you. Here's how it looks so far.

Rebels 36.5
Yankees 23.5

I have a strong feeling I nailed Miss Paige's 10 pointer, so when she signs the surrender terms, it should look like this:

Rebels 36.5
Yankees 33.5

One 4 pointer is all it's gonna take....

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - PaigeBooth - 04-13-2014 06:00 PM

Good job, Mr. Joe! You got my last question right; Oh, if I wasn't a lady just what wouldn't I tell that varmint!! Why don't you give me a chance to redeem some points for the Rebels now?! I have another question for you. How about we make this one for 4 points exactly since that's the difference between our points? Here it is: Who of historical significance was killed during the Battle of Stones River? And yes, Mr. Yankee, I'll be timing you on this!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 04-13-2014 07:38 PM

Careful Paige. Yankee Joe is a whiz at googling.