Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-16-2012 05:21 PM

OK, you've stumped this Yankee-by-birth. Am I allowed to start googling? All I can think of without help would be an Astor or a Vanderbilt.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-16-2012 05:38 PM

Sure, Laurie and anyone else. Google away! It's my personal thing not to do it, but the Big Guy's rules here say anything is allowed. (I just stumped Laurie Verge!! I can die now!!)

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-16-2012 05:40 PM

I'm narrowing down the search. How about J.P. Morgan? Jay Cooke???

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 07-16-2012 05:42 PM

Onassis? Oops, wrong assassination.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-16-2012 05:46 PM

Sorry, Laurie. You have failed to "Stump the Yankee" twice now. (This is the coolest thing that has ever happened to me!)

Gene - you've been sentenced to sing "The Battle Hymn of The Republic" in the shower tonight.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-16-2012 06:04 PM

Joe - if stumping me is the last thing on your bucket list, you must have led a very rich and full life!

I am stumped for the moment, but I continue to google. Unfortunately, I think I'm learning a lot about some of our wealthy dynasties that I didn't want to learn - like the Delanos, the Coolidges, and the Forbes, who supposedly made millions in the opium trade rings of the 19th century.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-16-2012 06:10 PM

Hint # 3 - Then we declare this a Yankee victory......

This man was later investigated for charges of corruption but nothing was ever done. He was also was active in Republican politics but never held an elected office.

**Because I was unable to control my elation at stumping you, Laurie, when I see you in March, you will be entitled to one free round of "Backhand the Yankee".

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-16-2012 06:46 PM

I really don't mind being stumped - that's a good way to learn something new. And, I'm not going to backhand you until I get that Jack and Ginger you promised!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Craig Hipkins - 07-16-2012 09:01 PM

Joe,
I'll make a wild guess and say Andrew Carnegie, although I know he made his money in the steel industry...maybe shipping?

Craig

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-16-2012 09:12 PM

Sorry, Craig. You have also failed to "Stump the Yankee". (This is a record) "Shipping" in this case, means ships.

I feel so bad for you Rebs, I will now post the final clue......

He took over a government contract subsidizing mail steamships.....

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 07-16-2012 10:05 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt

"My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord...."

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-16-2012 10:52 PM

Very sorry, Gene, but once more, you have failed to "Stump the Yankee". How awful this sting of defeat must be for "Y'all"!!

Tally up 'til now - Rebs - 1
Yankees - 1

The answer is - Marshall O. Roberts

Here's the link I found this round on - http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/19110

What's important here is we all learned something - first, the answer itself. A little known assassination fact, with no importance to anything related to the act itself - it was enough to even the score. Special thanks to :

Laurie Verge - I owe everyone's favorite former teacher a few Jack & Gingers. I may still be the recipient of a backhand for backsassing the teacher on a public forum.

Betty Ownsbey - For donating, with all seriousness, a piece of American history anyone linked to this topic should be proud to own. Thanks, Betty!!

Roger Norton - Roger nailed the answer in a private e-mail to me, but swell guy that he is - wanted the prize to go to one of his forum's members. Many thanks to Roger for allowing me to run wild with this mess on his new site. "Politest Man on the Internet"? Yes, he is.

This prize will be offered for the next winning answer on "Stump the Yankee". It was fun! Thanks to all for participating!!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-23-2012 06:13 PM

Good evening and welcome back to what I hope will be an exact repeat of the last round of "Stump the Yankee" - because I won that time.

Enough of the horsefeathers. Let get started.

A visitor to Lincoln's White House complained of having his watch lifted by a pick pocket. Lincoln rummaged through his desk and presented this person with his old pocket watch. Who was this person?

Same prize as last time - the wood from Fort McNair where the trial of the conspirators was held. Graciously donated by Betty Ownsbey.

Good luck and don't let me win twice in a row. You Rebs will never hear the end of it.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-23-2012 06:59 PM

Uh oh - this Yankee has laid down the gauntlet. Besides Betty, Jonathan, and Gene, am I the only other Rebel here? Bill Nash or Rob Wick, will you become honorary (or ornery) Rebs for a day or so and help with this???

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - LincolnMan - 07-23-2012 07:01 PM

How refreshing to find folks who actually know the photograph of Lincoln was February 1865 and not April 1865! Great question. My folks are from Tennessee. My dad was in the Air Force so I was born at Davis Airbase in Utah. After his service he moved us to Detroit to work in the factories. In my ancestry I have-at last count-over 20 ancestors that served in the Civil War- both sides.