Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-20-2013 09:40 PM

Holy smoke!! I just stumped Richter! (The Rebel's equivalent of MasterCard - "For questions nobody else can answer - there's Richter")

Sorry, Bill, Rose Greenhow is incorrect. At least she doesn't have the deep ties I've found. I'll expect some type of punishment for this next March.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-21-2013 10:36 AM

Hint # 1 - This woman, like a frequent contributor to this forum, was a Rebel that had to live with the shame of being born on Yankee soil! Ouch. That's gotta smart a bit. Anyway, she was born up north, while her half brother, who went on to serve the Confederacy with distinction, was being tutored. While only a few months old, she returned to the South and was raised as a true Southern belle.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-21-2013 11:50 AM

Well, Joseph, except for the fact that I have/had no brothers, all of the other clues fit ME -- I just ain't that OLD!

I'm a thinkin, I'm a thinkin. I'm a gonna need help though 'cause the heat of the past week in Southern Maryland done fried my brain.

I know this darn Yankee wouldn't make it this easy for me, but could it possibly be Olivia Floyd of Southern Maryland?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-21-2013 12:40 PM

(07-21-2013 11:50 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I know this darn Yankee wouldn't make it this easy for me, but could it possibly be Olivia Floyd of Southern Maryland?

No, it couldn't. I hear you about the heat. It's brutal here, too.

Hint # 1.5 - A very spirited Southern woman, this gal may have been the inspiration for a fictional Southern woman of a famous movie.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-21-2013 01:01 PM

I believe that, once again, Southern womanhood has triumphed over them Yankees!

Thanks for Hint #1.5 because that led me to Martha Bullock Roosevelt, mother of Teddy and grandmother of Eleanor. Am I right? Am I right? If so, it calls for some sweet tea to wash down victory -- hey, that rhymes.

Since I'm pretty sure I'm correct, I would recommend reading about Mrs. Roosevelt here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Bulloch_Roosevelt. I knew absolutely nothing about the lady until Joe posted this question. She has an interesting, typically 19th-century Southern background. Teddy Roosevelt wrote the same sentiments about his mother.

P.S. Up until today, I had always thought that Scarlett O'Hara was based on a Roswell, Georgia, lady named Rebecca Felton. I like "Mittie" Roosevelt much better.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-21-2013 01:24 PM

Start fixin' the sweet tea! You are correct!

Martha Bulloch Roosevelt, described by her son Pres. Theodore Roosevelt as "an unreconstructed Rebel until her dying day", was the half sister of James Dunwoody Bulloch, a Confederate secret operative in England. Supposedly sent to England with one million dollars in gold, it's thought he may have been responsible for the money Booth got from Patrick Martin in Montreal. So Theodore Roosevelt's uncle may have been a participant in the planned abduction of Lincoln. And Roosevelt was sworn in wearing a ring containing a lock of Lincoln's hair, given to him by John Hay. Strange twists, for sure.

I will now adjust the score as I whistle "Dixie", once again.

Rebels 18
Yankee 8

I've also added the extra point the Rebels get when Bill shows up. Sorry for the slight. Who made that rule, anyway?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-21-2013 06:15 PM

I prefer Teddy's full quote about his mother: In his autobiography published in 1913, he described his mother with these words, "My mother, Martha Bulloch, was a sweet, gracious, beautiful Southern woman, a delightful companion and beloved by everybody. She was entirely 'unreconstructed' (sympathetic to the Southern Confederate cause) to the day of her death."

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - LincolnMan - 07-21-2013 06:22 PM

So Roosevelt became a Lincoln admirer while his uncle may have had some connection with Booth's plot to abduct Lincoln. What's so strange about that? Smile

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 07-22-2013 05:34 AM

I may have posted this once before so please excuse if so. When Abraham Lincoln's funeral procession was passing by Cornelius Van Schaack Roosevelt's home in New York City two little boys watched from one of the second floor windows. The boys were 6-year-old Teddy Roosevelt and his brother, Elliott. I think there has been some debate as to the positive identification of the boys, but as I recall, Richard Sloan told me it is indeed Teddy and Elliott.

[Image: rooseveltwatches.jpg]

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 09-02-2013 07:35 PM

Rebels 18
Yankee 8

Good evening and welcome back to another installment of "Stump the Yankee". I hope everyone enjoyed the Labor Day Weekend. I spent mine coming up with this question that is sure to have the Rebels busier than a one eyed cat watching 5 mouse holes. Here it is - you grit eaters.

Booth and firearms. Not a real good combination, as we know. Booth however, was very familiar with firearms since his youth and frequently carried one.

April 14th., 1865 wasn't the first time Booth pulled his gat on someone. A situation occurred once before when Booth held someone at gunpoint. This situation involved Booth, his gun, a Yankee with a big mouth and a very spirited political discussion.

Who was this man?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 09-02-2013 08:49 PM

I don't know the details, but did it occur in St. Louis in 1862 and lead to Booth being arrested and taken before a provost marshal?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 09-02-2013 08:55 PM

No. I think that was the incident when he insisted on singing "The Bonny Blue Flag" in public after it was banned.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 09-03-2013 05:37 AM

Joe, does it have anything to do with Matthew Canning?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 09-03-2013 05:52 AM

Sorry Roger. It has nothing to do with Matt Canning. Good morning.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - BettyO - 09-03-2013 06:10 AM

Was it John Sleeper Clarke whom Booth argued with and pulled a gun on?