Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-01-2013 12:29 PM

O.K., but I gotta warn you - this is a weird one.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - brtmchl - 07-01-2013 05:10 PM

Was it James A. Herne? And didn't his wife a romantic relationship with J.W.B?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-01-2013 06:12 PM

I just received word via courier that my Southern reinforcement has been held up at some little town in Pennsylvania. He may not make it through the lines to be of help to me. If brtmchl has the answer correct (but I don't think he does), I will be happy to let him have the victory and will just pray that he's a Southern sympathizer!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - brtmchl - 07-01-2013 06:30 PM

(07-01-2013 06:12 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I just received word via courier that my Southern reinforcement has been held up at some little town in Pennsylvania. He may not make it through the lines to be of help to me. If brtmchl has the answer correct (but I don't think he does), I will be happy to let him have the victory and will just pray that he's a Southern sympathizer!

Laurie, Even though I am born, raised, and live in Illinois I am sympathetic. I would love to return to the beautiful city of Charleston SC where I was stationed. I just can't get my wife on board. Unfortunately, "Blue" looks great on her.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-01-2013 06:57 PM

I'm sorry, Bert, but you've submitted just the type of answer we like to see here. And that would be an incorrect one! Looks like I have the Rebs over a barrel. (Again) I can only come up with 2 more hints before I rub their fritter eatin' faces in yet another Yankee victory!

Laurie - when will your Secret Line pal be free to help you? I think I can wait about a week or so.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-01-2013 06:57 PM

I would move to Charleston in a heart beat if they would just cure that humidity! Unfortunately, your wife's blue clothing would probably run blue dye in all that moisture. I have been to the city in March and also in October, and the heat and humidity laid me low both times. The only thing that revived me were pralines from some little shop on Market Street.

Wait a minute! Am I your only intended victim here? I hope to hear from the underground tomorrow.

BTW: Corn fritters or apple fritters??? Both are deeelish.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-01-2013 07:55 PM

No Laurie, of course you're not the only intended victim. Just the one who launches the most frequent assaults on this Yankee. Corn or apple fritters? I'll be happy to rub your face in either one! I have another ringer here. I see two things I see in my future. Another win and a long dry spell before I see another Moon Pie.

Hint # 2 7/8 - This actor was a comedian.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - L Verge - 07-01-2013 08:10 PM

How many witnesses do I have to this Yankee's threat to do me physical harm? The last part of your last sentence is probably accurate, but I ain't dead yet!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-01-2013 10:15 PM

Lots of witnesses. None of whom, unfortunately for you, have the correct answer. See you at 1400 tomorrow. You little Rebel.

PROJECTED RESULTS

Rebels 11
Yankee 9

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 07-02-2013 07:18 AM

Roland Reed?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 07-02-2013 10:22 AM

Roger Norton, I LOVE YOU! My informant had to be tracked down while on vacation in Tennessee, but he supplied the exact same name and a little history to go with it.

Roland Reed was ten years old when he received $1 from JWB outside the Arch Street Theatre in Philadelphia. He went on to be one of the great comedians of his day after a lady told him that he should make comedy his profession because of his nose! Mr. Reed sported one as famous as the legendary Cyrano.

I have to credit my informant: Dr. Terry Alford, author of the upcoming Booth biography, Fortune's Fool, that should be released next year. Terry is a native of Mississippi, but has been in Virginia for decades. Roger is now a long-time resident of Florida, and I have stayed put in Maryland. Can we get three points for this answer??? Pass me the fritters, please...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 07-02-2013 10:51 AM

Not only that, but in the classic "Escape and Suicide of John Wilkes Booth" by Finis Bates, there is an entire chapter entitled "John St. Helen lectures Roland Reed".
(chapter 3)

http://books.google.com/books?id=PX9RjixQc6kC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=roland+reed+actor&source=bl&ots=x8nq76F-_w&sig=5xmz0ZXfHtUP1YaJcxM0vMcjbg8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KubSUZP7OofS9gS-p4CgDA&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=roland%20reed%20actor&f=false

It's a small world.

The above incident referred to by Laurie is recorded in "Famous Actors of the Day: In America" by Lewis Clinton Strang p.303
http://books.google.com/books?id=CsjHIOpk5MEC&pg=PA299&lpg=PA299&dq=roland+reed+actor&source=bl&ots=2_BWX3_3gD&sig=WxG7pv2ncFLeplnCBZEsZ-axJNI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KubSUZP7OofS9gS-p4CgDA&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=roland%20reed%20actor&f=false

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 07-02-2013 10:56 AM

Gene's from Kentucky. Can we have four points?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 07-02-2013 11:27 AM

Rebels 15
Yankee 8

Four points it is! Dang it you Rebels, I thought that was a winner for sure! That's what I get for being so cocky, I guess.

Famous Actors of the Day by Louis Strang is the only reference I've seen to this incident. I thought for sure someone would mention Joseph Hazleton who remembered two similar incidents with Booth in Washington. Booth once gave him a 10 cent "shin plaster" and once took him down the street to buy him a new cap.

What devastating day for this Yankee. My winning streak is in shambles and I'll never think of another question as obscure as that one. And the next time I go to Maryland, I expect to have a Moon Pie smashed in my face. Oh, the shame.....

Here's Mr. Reed's obituary - http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F10A11F73E5911738DDDA80B94DB405B818CF1D3

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 07-02-2013 11:56 AM

Too bad we Southerners didn't do that well at Gettysburg in 1863! Have no fear, Yankee Joe, no Moon Pies in the face. I'll prepare our old family recipe for a Lemon Merigue Pie to do you proper damage!

Seriously, has anyone seen a picture of Mr. Reed? I'm curious about the nose...