Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 05-24-2013 11:14 AM

Is there hidden meaning in your mentioning Sarah Slater?? If not, when are you going to end my guessing misery?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-24-2013 11:45 AM

No hidden meaning, Laurie - just noting your Rebel sinews! I think I'll end your guessing misery right now. You were on the right track and were making me nervous. As usual, I was expecting the worst. Here's what I found in "John Wilkes Booth in the Pennsylvania Oil Region" By they way - thanks for hooking me up with that!

In June, 1865, Mrs. Sarah Webber took in a boarder calling himself Joseph Woods. He stayed in the same room JWB rented from her while in Franklin, Pa. for his oil speculations. Her daughter entered his room one morning and noticed he'd left his nightshirt out of his satchel. She noticed a tag with his real name on the shirt - Joseph Booth, JWB's younger brother. Excuse me while I adjust the score.....

Rebels 11
Yankee 4

That's better.

The most interesting points of the book are the interviews with people that got to know Booth. One young man who had many dealings with Booth eventually came to avoid him. Just because of his glare. He said when Booth looked at you, it was as if he was looking right through you.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 05-24-2013 11:51 AM

Very good Joe. Congratulations. I raise my Dixie cup to you

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 05-24-2013 01:56 PM

I knew I should have paid more attention to Booth's ventures in the oil fields! I also thought about Joseph Booth because I remembered him giving up thoughts of being an actor. Excuse me while I go kick myself...

When can we expect the next challenge?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-24-2013 02:16 PM

Now that I'm invigorated, probably pretty soon, Laurie! I'm done throwing softballs at you Rebs. If I can win the next 8 rounds in a row, I'll be winning. I have to get busy.

I don't know how many folks have the book, but it was very telling regarding Booth's personality. Everything we've heard about him was there. His congenial personality, his love of children, how easily he made friends, but also his dark side. Brooding, morose, quick tempered and volatile. It was very interesting. Now that I can never use it again, I'll share that the entire book can be found online.

Thanks, Gene. I'll have a bite of Yankee cheese for you.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 05-24-2013 02:40 PM

Joseph, dear -- While you are on the lookout for moon bats (inside joke), why don't you consider an article for the Courier based around Booth and his various "personalities?"

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 05-24-2013 02:41 PM

(05-24-2013 02:16 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  If I can win the next 8 rounds in a row, I'll be winning. I have to get busy.

Don Shula's '72 Dolphins won 17 in a row; anything's possible, Joe. Go for it.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-24-2013 02:53 PM

Laurie Verge dateline='be 1' Wrote:  Joseph, dear -- While you are on the lookout for moon bats (inside joke), why don't you consider an article for the Courier based around Booth and his various "personalities?"

I'm flattered, Laurie, but I don't see much free time until this job is complete. Thank you for your cconfidence in me.

Roger - my Yankee "can do" spirit might not be enough to pull that off. These Rebs are a tough crowd!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-31-2013 02:59 PM

Rebels 11
Yankee 4

Welcome to a very special GRUDGE MATCH installment of "Stump the Yankee".

It looks like the leader of the Rebel resistance has issued a challenge with a purty nice prize! I get to double my score if I answer correctly. Let's see if I can "Stump the She Rebel". Here it is:

I am posing a "stumper" that should have my Yankee antagonist growing old before his time. I almost posted on the thread that he created, but I decided to be more ladylike. If Yankee Joe gets the correct answer to this one, I will double his score!

On April 10, 1861, the New York Times reported that a package, likely destined for the White House, was received by the Washington City post office. The box had been broken open somewhat, and in the process of inspecting it, the contents fell out. What were the contents?

Oh my. This is a tough one. I'll take a wild shot in the dark and guess two copperhead snakes. I'd bet one was 4 feet long and the other was about - oh, I don't know - let's say three and half feet.

Did I win?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 05-31-2013 03:04 PM

Joe, love your new avitar. I've seen that picture before, but I can't seem to place it. Smile

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-31-2013 03:16 PM

Where'd she go? Probably went into the kitchen to flip the cornbread. I can't wait til she comes back.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - LincolnMan - 05-31-2013 03:50 PM

I'm confused!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 05-31-2013 04:09 PM

First, Joseph, your avatar gets better looking all the time!

Second, you darn Yankee (expletive deleted). YOU'RE RIGHT!!! I was so sure that no one else had the book handy on the New York City fires. That was my source. I am now retiring with my hoop skirts between my legs. That will teach me to try and be smart.

The reference to the copperhead snakes, of course, ties to the Peace Democrats who were dubbed Copperheads.

P.S. Joseph, you do not flip cornbread. You flip corn cakes in the skillet to brown them on both sides. And, be nice to me when you gloat or you'll find copperheads in your next shipment of Moon Pies.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 05-31-2013 04:15 PM

Excuse me one minute.....

Rebels 11
Yankee 8

Boy, that was quite a leap! Thanks, Laurie! This was more fun than that time you guys awarded yourselves another point just because Richter showed up!

Oh. One more thing. I cheated. I don't have that book. The last time I got a book from you, you told the whole forum what it was, so now I can't use it for trivia anymore. Back at ya, you little Rebel!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 05-31-2013 05:44 PM

Where did you find the answer if you don't have the New York book? What's the other source? Or, have Moon Pies really made you that smart???