Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Jim Page - 01-03-2013 07:48 PM

(01-03-2013 07:38 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Joe, Goober Peas are southern slang for peanuts -

I can remember our first grade having to learn the song, "Eating Goober Peas" for our Confederacy Day pageant at school. Pascagoula, Mississippi, 1958.

And I, for one, love BOILED goober peas, which are sometimes called Georgia caviar. Up here in the DC area, you can only find the canned ones, so I order sacks from Georgia via the Web.

--Jim

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - GARY POPOLO - 01-03-2013 08:14 PM

(07-14-2012 03:15 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Good afternoon and welcome back to what should be a fun filled and rousing round of "Stump the Yankee". The first round didn't go as planned. I was picked off by the first Rebel shot fired. If it wasn't Betty, I'd be embarrassed. This time, this Yankee has done some homework. Put your thinking kepi's on, Rebels. No pictures for you devious "right clickers" who look for encrypted messages I know nothing about, either. And no clues. Good luck! Here's the question -

Not unlike my own situation with Mrs. Beckert and my Visa Gold acct., Mary Lincoln ran up debts for "flub dubs" that chapped Abe's hide. When he died, he left an estate valued between $85,000 and $110,000. Mary, for the rest of her life, cried poverty. After Lincoln's demise, a wealthy entrepreneur supposedly presented Mary with a large sum. How much was it and who was he?

Today's VERY COOL prize has been graciously donated by the Divine Ms. O herself. Betty sent our prize procurement department an original piece of wood and a cut nail from Fort McNair, the sight of the conspirator's trial. Circa 1830 -1860, this wood was there when they were. I wish it could talk. Was it in the trial room itself? Could be!! Good luck!!
Mr. J. Beckert I am not sure if I am correct but I think a gentleman named Mr. Sherman gave the amount of $10,700.00 to Mary Lincoln to help settle her debts. Gary p.

Hello J. Beckert I am not sure if this is correct but I think that a man named Mr. Sherman took up a collection and gave Mary Lincoln the amount of $10,750.00 to help settle her debts. Gary P.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - BettyO - 01-03-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:we're hitting Ford's on Sunday, right?

As far as I know --yes!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-03-2013 08:23 PM

That may be true, Gary. Here's a link to Mr. Sherman's donation.

http://www.alplm.org/blog/2012/11/cash-book/

I believe that wealthy businessman Marshall Roberts also made his own donation.

http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/19110

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - GARY POPOLO - 01-03-2013 08:33 PM

(01-03-2013 08:23 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  That may be true, Gary. Here's a link to Mr. Sherman's donation.

http://www.alplm.org/blog/2012/11/cash-book/

I believe that wealthy businessman Marshall Roberts also made his own donation.

http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/19110
Hello again J. Beckert, Well looks like I was half right. I remember reading about Mr. Sherman but can't say that I recall reading anything on Mr. Mashall Roberts. That is what is great about this forum you always get to learn something new and interesting. Thanks again my friend! Gary P.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-11-2013 10:14 AM

Rebels 8
Yankee 3
Good morning and welcome back to a very, very special installment of "Stump the Yankee". What's so special about it? Well, this one, being Valentine's Day is fast approaching, is the very first gender specific "Stump the Yankee" question ever! That's right - this one is just for the lady Rebels! Will the She Rebels want to give this li'l ole Yankee some shugga? I'm betting no. I'd bet they're already thinking - "You hush that sharp Yankee tongue of yaws an spit that question out raht now!" O.K. ladies, here it is. Better go get a big plate of cornbread. This one may take a while.

Lincoln loved children. He carried neighbor little Josie Rehman around Springfield on his shoulders, (She was photographed at his tomb in 1901 when his body was moved) took neighborhood children for treats and spoiled his own. One child who had a brush with Lincoln gushed about it well into the 20th. century.

Who was this little hayseed?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-11-2013 12:27 PM

I put out feelers along the Secret Line (which in my case extends from Maine to Florida), and my highly knowledgeable agents gave me a choice of two: Frank Roll or Rollie Diller. I love the last tyke's name, so I'm going with Rollie Diller.

P.S. You didn't tell us we couldn't cheat, and surely you are aware that She Rebels do whatever it takes to win...

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-11-2013 12:42 PM

I'm aware that you She Rebels will go to any length to win one for "The Cause", but it ain't happening just yet. Both guesses are incorrect.

Hint # 1 - This meeting occurred in Jan., 1861.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-11-2013 12:48 PM

Then let's go with George Patten, the young lad who met Lincoln in Springfield, kept getting bullied that he was fibbing until his teacher wrote to the President and Lincoln sent a letter back attesting to having been with George???

P.S. I didn't cheat on this one. Your hint helped if it really was George. I remember his story because I would have done the same thing as his teacher.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-11-2013 12:52 PM

Let's go with......I'm on my way to a Yankee victory!! Another wrong guess, Surrattsvile SR!!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-11-2013 01:21 PM

OMG - I'm running out of children! I'm sure that Grace Bedell is out of the picture because that would be too easy. There have to be some other Southerners on this forum who would love to stump this dastardly Yankee....

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-11-2013 01:27 PM

Grace Bedell is indeed out of the picture. This incident is so obscure, I've only found one reference to it. I don't even think it's on Roger's site. The young'un was a boy.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-11-2013 04:21 PM

(Pssst! Hey, Miss Laurie! Tell the Secret Line that I only have a High School diploma and I majored in Woodshop!)

Looks like it's time for a little hint. Here comes the last one for today.

Hint # 2 - This incident happened in or around Charleston, Ill.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 01-11-2013 04:33 PM

I didn't major in woodshop, but I made a nice popsicle stick frame for my diploma in shop class. Tongue
(I got brain freeze and almost didn't graduate)

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-11-2013 05:26 PM

I know some very smart people who don't even have a high school diploma, Joe; so I am in no way an academic snob. I admire people the most who have educated themselves in certain fields through persistent reading and researching or learning trades and technology.

On the other hand, if I win this one, can I hire you as a handy man at my house for about a month? I know the commute will be a killer, but you Yankees have no problem with packing your things into carpetbags and heading south...

That said, a definite Lincoln scholar told me to try Buck Best for the answer - and this scholar lives south of the Mason-Dixon. If that's not the answer, I throw in the towel (temporarily).