Lincoln Discussion Symposium
"Stump the Yankee" - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: "Stump the Yankee" (/thread-27.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Gene C - 01-03-2013 04:10 PM

(01-03-2013 04:00 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  8 cans of peas in 2 days and I still got beat like a borrowed mule. I guess them things only work for Rebels.

Rebels 7
Yankee 2

Looks like you may need to start eating grits Big Grin

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 01-03-2013 04:21 PM

Only Vicki knows how much time I spent looking.

I was looking in the wrong books but finally found it in Lust For Fame.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-03-2013 04:33 PM

The original reference, in The Life of Edwin Forrest, puts the incident 2 or 3 days before the assassination. That can't be correct as McCullough was not in Washington after the 26th. I wonder where Alger found that?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Bill Richter - 01-03-2013 04:42 PM

Beckert, I am holding my fire until the annual meeting. I understand you have made the mistake of accepting a ride on Friday with me and Rick Smith. By the end of that sojourn you'll be standing on the porch at the Surratt Tavern singing Dixie to the arriving dudes, I guar-ran-tee!

Rebs 8

Yankees 2

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-03-2013 04:55 PM

I want you to know, Joseph, that I stayed up past my bedtime last night searching Last Confederate Heroes, American Brutus, and Blood on the Moon trying to find the answer. I even came to work early today and searched through the new JWB: Day by Day that I have been perusing for Art Loux.

Roger and Joe ---PLEASE tell me where you found this!

BTW: When I told you to try black-eyed peas, I think I told you to use the frozen kind (much better). Maybe the canning process took all the luck out of your peas. Next time, try Goober Peas -- do you know what they are?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 01-03-2013 05:03 PM

Laurie, I found it on p. 180 of Lust For Fame.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-03-2013 05:28 PM

One of my books that is packed away -- and one I read twenty years ago. I have both short-term and long-term memory loss, it seems!

I just had the most wonderful experience of having Dave Taylor send me some 1933 photos from the Eisenschiml files related to the escape route. The first one that popped up was of my hometown of T.B. It reminded me of what T.B. looked like in the 1950s before dual-lane highways and overpasses destroyed its charm. I think he might also have a photo of Brice's Chapel and also Thomas Jones's first home on the cliffs of the Potomac before he moved to Huckleberry near the end of the war.

Here's another stumper for you that I ran across while trying to solve Joe's stumper: What member of Booth's family was nearly strangled to death by JWB because he spoke out against Jefferson Davis and the Confederacy - and where did this occur?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - LincolnMan - 01-03-2013 05:48 PM

[Image: photo7ae96d81f40fd35163.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Who is this lady?

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - RJNorton - 01-03-2013 06:00 PM

Laurie, I do not know the answer to your question, but I think I know Bill's picture: Rose Greenhow.

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - Laurie Verge - 01-03-2013 06:02 PM

That's another She Rebel - Rose O'Neal Greenhow (a native of Maryland, btw).

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - LincolnMan - 01-03-2013 06:19 PM

Roger and Laurie: you guys are too good! That's who it is. She was in the Old Capitol Prison-and still was carrying on spy activities- gutsy!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-03-2013 06:30 PM

(01-03-2013 04:42 PM)william l. richter Wrote:  Beckert, I am holding my fire until the annual meeting. I understand you have made the mistake of accepting a ride on Friday with me and Rick Smith. By the end of that sojourn you'll be standing on the porch at the Surratt Tavern singing Dixie to the arriving dudes, I guar-ran-tee!

Rebs 8

Yankees 2

Yes I have, Bill! Laurie has already been advised that if I don't show up for the conference, it's most likely that you and Rick decided to play a round of "Lynch the Yankee". I'm taking my chances and I'm looking forward to my first sojourn in many years onto southern soil.

I don't know what Goober peas are, Laurie, so fill me in. I did love the bacon grease trick.

And what happened to the score? Richter shows up and you guys award yourselves another point? What is that mess? O.K., I'll buy that, but you can count on some "blamed Yankee tricks" in the next round. I was thisclose to a win..............

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-03-2013 07:34 PM

The answer to your question, Laurie, is Booth's brother in law and childhood friend, John Sleeper Clarke. On a train ride with Booth, he made a disparaging remark about Jefferson Davis. Booth choked him and told him - never, if you value your life, speak to me that way again about a man and a cause I hold sacred. I almost missed that. Thank you. I will now award myself another point.

Rebels 8
Yankee 3

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - BettyO - 01-03-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:I don't know what Goober peas are....

Joe, Goober Peas are southern slang for peanuts -

I thought ya'll were going to see Quarters 20 (restored trial room) with Linda and I on Friday?!

RE: "Stump the Yankee" - J. Beckert - 01-03-2013 07:46 PM

O.K., I eat Goober peas all the time. I actually had some today, so their not lucky for Yankees either.

Rick invited me months ago, Betty, so I'm either going to get a nice tour of Southern Maryland, or pay dearly for razzing you Rebs. If they don't lynch me, we're hitting Ford's on Sunday, right?