Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln (/thread-2680.html)

Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - RJNorton - 09-25-2015 09:30 AM

Thank you to Laurie for sending this colorized photo of Abraham Lincoln. It was taken by Alexander Gardner during the February 5, 1865, sitting at Gardner's Gallery at 7th and D streets in Washington. The glass plate cracked.

[Image: colorizedlincoln100.jpg]

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Gene C - 09-25-2015 09:52 AM

Makes me wonder what he's thinking about.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - LincolnMan - 09-25-2015 12:30 PM

Very nice. This is the photograph that is commonly attributed as the "last photograph" of Lincoln- which it is not.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Eva Elisabeth - 09-25-2015 07:49 PM

Impressive - looks almost 3D.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Hess1865 - 09-26-2015 09:03 AM

My favorite Lincoln photo

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Angela - 09-26-2015 02:27 PM

Is this from the Madsen pictures that were done a couple of years ago? I remember not liking them at first because adding something always takes away from the original, but the have been growing on me.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - RJNorton - 09-26-2015 04:51 PM

Angela, I think so. There is a whole page of his Civil War colorized photos here.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - Angela - 09-27-2015 02:06 AM

Yes, Roger - that's the one I meant! Very well done!!

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - LincolnToddFan - 09-27-2015 04:09 PM

President Obama has said that this is his favorite photograph of Lincoln, but it's a photo that breaks my heart.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - LincolnMan - 09-27-2015 07:48 PM

Notice Lincoln did not have a full beard at time.

RE: Colorized Gardner Photograph of Abraham Lincoln - LincolnMan - 10-19-2015 08:58 PM

The colorization also gives Lincoln a streak of gray hair over his left ear. I hadn't read that hevwas turning gray but he certainly was old enough and had huge stress that might have caused it.