Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions (/thread-2603.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 08-12-2015 01:08 PM

"She was an amiable inoffensive girl"??

Yeesh Mary... Talk about damning with faint praise!

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-12-2015 06:06 PM

Kudos, Rogerm - I read quite a lot on Mary, but this comment was new to me - and I don't think Fanny would have come to my mind!

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 08-12-2015 07:51 PM

Mary Lincoln did not have a soft spot in her heart for the Seward family. But, I think the death of Fanny Seward still took Mrs. Lincoln greatly by surprise because of her young age; and perhaps the attempt on Henry Seward's life that took place about the same time that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated made Mrs. Lincoln a little more kindly disposed toward the Sewards.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-13-2015 04:13 AM

Yes - you made a good point here, I think. I think Mary felt always sympathy for anyone, even "enemies", losing a child. (And I think Toia rightly observed, too...)

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - LincolnToddFan - 08-13-2015 12:24 PM

(08-12-2015 07:51 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  Mary Lincoln did not have a soft spot in her heart for the Seward family. But, I think the death of Fanny Seward still took Mrs. Lincoln greatly by surprise because of her young age; and perhaps the attempt on Henry Seward's life that took place about the same time that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated made Mrs. Lincoln a little more kindly disposed toward the Sewards.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks Roger.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-13-2015 04:48 PM

Mary had always wanted a daughter, and Fanny wasn't much younger than Robert.
She liked Julia Taft, and she was a frequent guest at the White House along with her brothers, until Willie died

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-13-2015 05:10 PM

Gene, did Mary write about wanting to have a daughter or talk about it with friends?

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-13-2015 06:09 PM

She said to Julia Taft: "I wish I had a little girl like you, Julia". (I believe there were other statements about her desire for a daughter in her letters to Mary Harlan.)

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 08-13-2015 08:55 PM

Thanks Eva. My memory is going..

I think Mary appreciated Fanny's reserved nature so unlike that of Kate.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-14-2015 05:08 AM

Name a hotel, not in New York, where both Mary Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth stayed (not at the same time).

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 08-14-2015 07:01 AM

Willard's Hotel?

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-14-2015 07:24 AM

Gene, after I wrote the question I realized there could be more than one right answer. The hotel I have in mind is not in Washington. I do not know if Booth ever stayed at the Willard as I thought he usually stayed at the National when in Washington. Your answer is right if Booth ever stayed at the Willard.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-14-2015 08:38 AM

May I ask - if Anita permits and it's ok with y'all, would it be possible to move the thread to the trivia category? Sometimes I miss questions - when I'm in a hurry I first check the trivia due to my guessing addiction... it's a great idea for a trivia thread btw, Anita! Thanks for your consideration!

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-14-2015 08:45 AM

Hi Eva - Yes, I think that is a good request. I have moved the thread to the trivia category. I am sure Anita won't mind. Good idea! Thanks.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-14-2015 01:01 PM

Thanks very much!!