Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions (/thread-2603.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-06-2016 05:13 AM

It could be Cincinnati, but if true, I have no idea of the connection to Mary Lincoln.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-06-2016 07:00 AM

Just to clarify - are we looking for someone who died in connection with that cable car? (Overrun or other accident? Or heart attack while riding?)

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-06-2016 10:28 AM

Reminds me of the incline at Johnstown, Pennsylvania - which reminds me of the Johnstown Flood. However, I have no idea about a link to MTL, if that is the place.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Thomas Kearney - 05-06-2016 10:42 AM

(05-06-2016 10:28 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Reminds me of the incline at Johnstown, Pennsylvania - which reminds me of the Johnstown Flood. However, I have no idea about a link to MTL, if that is the place.

I went to the Flood Museum and cried like a baby on the Incline because I was scared.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-06-2016 10:55 AM

(05-06-2016 10:42 AM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 10:28 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Reminds me of the incline at Johnstown, Pennsylvania - which reminds me of the Johnstown Flood. However, I have no idea about a link to MTL, if that is the place.

I went to the Flood Museum and cried like a baby on the Incline because I was scared.

I'm with you, Thomas. We took a group from Surratt House there, and I said a big "Thank You" to the gods because the Incline was broken that day.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Lincoln Wonk - 05-06-2016 12:33 PM

Was it Dr. Brockett's?

Ooops. Sorry, Anita. I was reading posts from top to bottom, thought it was still an active question. Kathy

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 05-06-2016 01:16 PM

Sorry to keep you waiting. All interesting guesses. Thomas, I'm sorry you were scared on an Incline as a baby. You had good instincts for they can be dangerous.

Roger, yes the location is Cincinnati and Eva it is someone who died in connection with that cable car.

Hint: This gentleman was a Judge who is also connected to A Lincoln.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-06-2016 05:44 PM

(Serious no trivia question, and I don't know the answer so far...) Please, what is an incline (in a flood museum)?

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 05-06-2016 06:49 PM

Eva, go to inclinedplane.org.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-06-2016 07:25 PM

Thanks, Anita, will do!
William Martin Dickson?

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 05-07-2016 12:00 AM

Excellent Eva. It is indeed William Martin Dickson. Dickson married Mary Todd's cousin Annie Parker.

" Dickson died on October 15, 1889, in a noontime accident on the Mount Auburn incline railway in Cincinnati. Nine passengers had entered the car at the foot of the incline. A cable broke just as the car reached the top, and it went crashing down into the passenger station below. The iron gate that formed the lower end of the track was thrown sixty feet down the street. Dickson, who was 62 years old, was one of the first of the wounded to die." Read about his impressive career.
http://civilwaref.blogspot.com/2013/09/william-martin-dickson-born-september.htm

Eva, the Auburn Incline closed in 1898 so you win a chance to climb the stairs that replaced it next time you're in Cincinnati. Go here to see the stairs. http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/incline-mtauburn.html

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-07-2016 02:59 AM

Thanks, Anita, I'm inclined to like the prize...these stairs are certainly more exciting to climb than the five staircases to my apartment! (The title "most challenging staircase" IMO goes to St. Paul's cathedral, 528 steps to the top, all spiral!)

I'd love to check out your first link, but it takes me to: "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."

There's some info on this site:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18082011

I didn't find him here, but the site still worth sharing:
http://politicalgraveyard.com/death/railroad.html

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-07-2016 01:55 PM

(05-07-2016 02:59 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I'd love to check out your first link, but it takes me to: "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."

Eva, please try this link.

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-07-2016 04:21 PM

Thanks, Roger, this link works fine! Very interesting site, Anita!

RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Dawn E Foster - 05-09-2016 12:42 AM

Johnstown was my mother's hometown. I have memories of riding that inclined plane many times when I was a girl. And of exploring the Flood sites. I'd love to do that again someday.