Lincoln Discussion Symposium
What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? (/thread-260.html)

What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - LincolnMan - 08-23-2012 03:52 PM

[Image: 004150x150.jpg]

I saw this Lincoln standee in a museum here in Michigan (which I will not identify). Looks rather odd doesn't it?

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - BettyO - 08-23-2012 05:17 PM

(08-23-2012 03:52 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  [Image: 004150x150.jpg]

I saw this Lincoln standee in a museum here in Michigan (which I will not identify). Looks rather odd doesn't it?

Bill -- either you're VERY tall....or that Lincoln is very short!

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Gene C - 08-23-2012 05:26 PM

They switched Lincoln heads. The one full figured, was before he had a beard.

http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/articles/lincoln/lincoln_cleveland.htm

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - LincolnMan - 08-23-2012 05:34 PM

I'm 6' 4" -the same height as the real Lincoln. The standee is about 6'2." So Betty you're correct in questioning the height of it-but that wasn't what I was having a problem with. Gene: you're correct. The makers of the thing have taken Lincoln's head when he was President and placed it on Lincoln's body from a photo before he was President. Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - BettyO - 08-23-2012 07:31 PM

(08-23-2012 05:34 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I'm 6' 4" -the same height as the real Lincoln. The standee is about 6'2." So Betty you're correct in questioning the height of it-but that wasn't what I was having a problem with. Gene: you're correct. The makers of the thing have taken Lincoln's head when he was President and placed it on Lincoln's body from a photo before he was President. Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

Lincoln's body is from the Douglas Debate? Am I correct? I'm really more of an assassination person....but it seems I've seen the young Lincoln's body in the Douglas Debate where he is holding the paper?

Also the head is taken from an 1863-1864 image???

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Gene C - 08-23-2012 10:24 PM

According to "Lincoln, A Picture Story of his Life" by Stefan Lorant...the body shot was taken in the summer of 1860, in Springfield, photographer unknown. Not sure about the head. Looks like 1863 by Matthew Brady.

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Houmes - 08-24-2012 07:24 AM

(08-23-2012 05:34 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Forum members: this is really where you can help me out. Please identify the years of the two photos-and information you might have on them.

The body is listed in Ostendorf's book (Lincoln's Photographs, 1988) as O-31 on page 389, taken in the summer of 1860 by an unknown photographer. The head is O-86, page 406, taken by Mathew Brady on January 8, 1864.

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - LincolnMan - 08-24-2012 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone! 1860 and 1864 they are! Why do you suppose the makers of the standee composed it as such?

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Craig Hipkins - 08-24-2012 07:29 PM

Bill,
My guess is that they wanted a bearded lincoln since that is the most popular likeness.

Craig

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - LincolnMan - 08-25-2012 07:15 AM

Craig: indeed. You're probably correct. The general public is unaware that Lincoln did not have a beard most of his life!

RE: What's wrong with this President Lincoln standee? - Jim Garrett - 08-31-2012 04:40 PM

I thought it was Bill's lips were moving, but AL's were not.