Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who Said This? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who Said This? (/thread-2480.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-16-2023 11:57 AM

Next clue:

His son has been credited with creating the character of Betty Crocker.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - Joe Di Cola - 06-16-2023 03:51 PM

Was it William Barton's son, Bruce--who I believe was in advertising?

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-16-2023 05:05 PM

Joe nailed it. The person who made the quote was William E. Barton and the last two clues were his son Bruce. I had no idea that Bruce had invented the character Betty Crocker.

By the way, Angle called Barton an old goat after his role in the Wilma Minor affair when Barton became close with Minor.

Good job Joe.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - Anita - 06-20-2023 07:35 PM

1. Who is speaking to Lincoln 2. Where and when?

NO GOOGLING PLEASE

"Mount Vernon, with its memories of Washington, and Springfield, with those of your own home -- revolutionary and civil war -- will be equally honored in America." At this, the weary president responded, "Springfield, how happy I shall be four years hence to return there in peace and tranquility!"

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 06-21-2023 04:44 AM

I'll guess it was Grant talking to Lincoln aboard the River Queen at the end of the war.

RE: Who Said This? - David Lockmiller - 06-21-2023 09:12 AM

Marquis de Chambrun

I have his book somewhere. But I had to use the index to Michael Burlingame's Abraham Lincoln: A Life, Volume Two (pages 795-98) to get the correct spelling of his name.

I could not find the quote in Burlingame's text but I did find the following entry:

Some black servants aboard the River Queen wished to accompany the presidential party [to Petersburg]. Chambrun reported that Lincoln, who "was blinded by no prejudices against race or color" and who "had not what can be termed false dignity," invited them to sit with him and his companions. (Chambrun, "Personal Recollections of Mr. Lincoln," Scribner's Magazine, Jan. 1893: 28.)

RE: Who Said This? - Anita - 06-21-2023 01:12 PM

Great memory David! Marquis de Chambrun is correct.

Here's the occasion. Lincoln's Last Sight of Mount Vernon

In early April 1865 President Lincoln visited General Grant's headquarters on the James River and entered Richmond after the Confederates fled. As he returned to Washington, he and his party aboard the River Queen sailed by Mount Vernon. It was April 9, the day that General Lee surrendered to Grant, and just five days before Lincoln would be assassinated. The Marquis Adolphe de Chambrun, a Frenchman traveling with the Lincolns, made what turned out to be a prophetic statement: "Mount Vernon, with its memories of Washington, and Springfield, with those of your own home -- revolutionary and civil war -- will be equally honored in America." At this, the weary president responded, "Springfield, how happy I shall be four years hence to return there in peace and tranquility!" No one could guess that Lincoln would be in Springfield only a month later in the new town cemetery.
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/sites/mtvernon.htm

My original source Doris Kern's Goodwin, "Team of Rivals" page 723. Her source- Chambrun, "Personal Recollections of Mr. Lincoln", Scribner's 1893, pp 35, 32

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 07-25-2023 04:57 AM

No googling please.

When speaking about Lincoln who said this?

"God send us such men again! We are confused by a war of interests, a clash of classes, a competition of powers, an effort at conquest and restraint, and the great forces which war and toil among us can be guided and reconciled only by some man who is truly a man of the people, as Lincoln was...He must not be too hot or intense, must be large and genial and salted with humor, but as certain and definite as the veriest tool of precision in his penetration and in his exposition of all that he sees and knows; a man who speaks as fearlessly as he looks upon the affairs about him, and who never withholds himself from any use or declines the challenge of any call of duty; a man of universal sympathy and universal use, whom few men can approach in power, but to whom all men can feel akin and with whom all men can dare to be familiar."

RE: Who Said This? - Anita - 07-25-2023 01:56 PM

Is it one of Lincoln's contemporaries?

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 07-25-2023 04:09 PM

There was a single digit overlap between when the correct answer was born and Lincoln's assassination. Thus, his claim to fame came many years after Lincoln's passing. The correct answer has been mentioned previously on this forum.

RE: Who Said This? - Anita - 07-25-2023 05:14 PM

Is it a former President - Woodrow Wilson or Teddy Roosevelt?

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 07-25-2023 06:42 PM

Good job, Anita!! It was indeed Wilson. This was part of Wilson's address in Chicago on February 12, 1909, commemorating the centennial of Lincoln's birth. At the time Wilson was president of Princeton University.

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 10-04-2023 03:57 PM

No googling please.

Who said this about Lincoln?

"There are many pictures of Lincoln; there is no portrait of him. In his case there was such a difference between the hard literal shell of the physical man, and the fine ideal fiber, temper, and aspiration of his spirit; the extremes were so far apart that no photograph or painting of the former could render even an approximate representation of the latter."

RE: Who Said This? - STS Lincolnite - 10-04-2023 05:11 PM

(10-04-2023 03:57 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  No googling please.

Who said this about Lincoln?

"There are many pictures of Lincoln; there is no portrait of him. In his case there was such a difference between the hard literal shell of the physical man, and the fine ideal fiber, temper, and aspiration of his spirit; the extremes were so far apart that no photograph or painting of the former could render even an approximate representation of the latter."

I think it was John Nicolay who said/wrote that. I recently read that quote as part of my research in prep for an article I was writing. As I sit here now, I don't remember if I used it in the article, but I do remember liking the quote.

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 10-04-2023 05:50 PM

Excellent, Scott! Indeed it was John Nicolay.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Century/NnYAAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA933&printsec=frontcover