Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who Said This? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who Said This? (/thread-2480.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Who Said This? - Steve - 06-12-2023 11:47 PM

(06-12-2023 08:38 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, there is some evidence that Booth actually made a move at President Lincoln that day.

https://www.loc.gov/item/pin2205/

Historians are divided on whether or not this happened as French described.

Interesting letter Roger. I definitely believe the incident happened. I'm not sure if the man detained was actually Booth. As far as I can recall, none of the conspirators mention Booth mentioning being detained during the inauguration. Memory is a tricky thing and can be malleable to suggestion. Once the suggestion was made, after the assassination, that the man was Booth, French's memory could subconsciously change the brief memory of a man who resembled Booth into the image of Booth himself.

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 06-13-2023 08:55 AM

Steve, in The Web of Conspiracy (1959) author Theodore Roscoe wrote:

"Obviously, if Booth stood near the President on the platform, he was not the man held in the Capitol guard room until the ceremonies were over. In a recently uncovered photograph of the inaugural scene, one may discover Booth's scowl (or so the experts declare) among the faces grouped behind Lincoln."

For a wonderful discussion of this topic please see Dave Taylor's page here:

https://lincolnconspirators.com/2012/05/31/booth-at-lincolns-second-inauguration/

RE: Who Said This? - David Lockmiller - 06-13-2023 10:23 AM

(06-13-2023 08:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Steve, in The Web of Conspiracy (1959) author Theodore Roscoe wrote:

"Obviously, if Booth stood near the President on the platform, he was not the man held in the Capitol guard room until the ceremonies were over. In a recently uncovered photograph of the inaugural scene, one may discover Booth's scowl (or so the experts declare) among the faces grouped behind Lincoln."

For a wonderful discussion of this topic please see Dave Taylor's page here:

https://lincolnconspirators.com/2012/05/31/booth-at-lincolns-second-inauguration/

I see that you made a comment to Dave Taylor's page, Roger:

Roger Norton

I second Dave. This is especially true (for me anyway) due to the identification of Spangler being there with the others. Spangler was not part of this group; I don’t think he even met any of Booth’s “people” (other than Booth himself) until after he was arrested and imprisoned.

I might add that John Wilkes Booth did "stand out in a crowd" with his tall silk hat.

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-13-2023 09:22 PM

No Googling, please.

I put this question here because it isn't related to either Tarbell or Sandburg, so that should serve as the first clue as to it isn't.

Who said this?

"Those of us who write books about Lincoln have to bear patiently with our friends who inquire of us in monotonous and wearisome incredulity, "What, another book about Lincoln? What more can be left to say? Are you not simply threshing the old straw over again?" Some of us emphatically desire that we shall not be understood as doing anything of the kind. Nor are we mere gleaners in a field that has often been reaped and harvested. We have discovered new areas for cultivation, and we believe that in some particulars we are reaping more abundant harvests than any of our predecessors. And we know that we have not reached the limits."

I have a feeling that this should be fairly easy.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 06-14-2023 04:41 AM

David Herbert Donald?

RE: Who Said This? - Gene C - 06-14-2023 07:31 AM

Benjamin Thomas ?

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-14-2023 10:48 AM

Very logical guesses gentlemen, but neither is correct.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 06-14-2023 11:59 AM

Stephen B. Oates?

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-14-2023 12:30 PM

Sorry Roger, but it isn't Oates.

Clue: He has been mentioned on the forum several times.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - AussieMick - 06-14-2023 06:14 PM

Michael Burlingame ?

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-14-2023 07:05 PM

Sorry Mike, but it's not Burlingame.

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - RJNorton - 06-15-2023 05:44 AM

Jon Meacham?

RE: Who Said This? - Gene C - 06-15-2023 06:49 AM

James G Randall ?

With the phrase "threshing the old straw over again", and the references to agriculture, I'm guessing it is someone who made this quote before 1970, and likely before the 1950's.

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-15-2023 08:12 AM

Sorry but neither is correct, although Gene is on the right track.

Clue. Paul Angle once referred to him as an "Old Goat."

Best
Rob

RE: Who Said This? - Rob Wick - 06-15-2023 07:45 PM

Next clue. This person's son served as a Congressman and lost a race for the U.S. Senate.

Best
Rob