Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln as secular saint - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln as secular saint (/thread-2466.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - Angela - 06-17-2016 03:29 PM

Laurie, first of all - THANK YOU!
That was a very interesting article to read and I yet have to educate myself on some of the finer points Mr. Guelzo makes.
I agree with the overall sentiment of the article, especially on the problem of viewing history through 21 century goggles and a limited attention span that is generally paid to very complicated political matters that existed at the time!
I was wondering about one argument the author makes early on and was curious as to what the general opinion is on this.

It is stated that “the abolitionists were never a political constituency large enough be worth factoring with” – I am not sure that this is a valid argument for, and that is only one reason, the 13th amendment easily passed the senate in 1864.

I think this could have been a bit more refined and am curious to learn what others think of this; however I think the statement following right after concerning the “Radical’s record of accomplishment” is genius and sums up the whole problem.

Many years before and many years after Lincoln, this huge topic was debated. Yet, the only person who ever accomplished anything of meaning at the time….was Lincoln.

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - Eva Elisabeth - 06-17-2016 07:03 PM

Most interesting article, and to my understanding the author clearly answers his initial question ("The last century hasn't been kind to the legacy of the Great Emancipator. Is it time to set the record straight?") in the affirmative - we do owe it to the past.

I think in his last passage well capures the predominant "spirit" of our modern society. To Guelzo's assessment that we don't like to owe anything to anyone present or past I'd like to add that we do prefer to leave it with putting the blame on the past and complain about imperfections instead of carrying on to accomplish "perfection" ourselves. I wonder how many of those who complain and only see what Lincoln did not accomplish would have done better or at least likewise.

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - LincolnMan - 01-22-2017 02:16 PM

I've enjoyed reading all these posts! Great to be back.
I don't think Lincoln would have approved of the descriptions applied to him like "saint" or "great" anything. What did he say about himself in his very short autobiographical statement?

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - Eva Elisabeth - 01-22-2017 05:48 PM

(01-22-2017 02:16 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I've enjoyed reading all these posts! Great to be back.
I don't think Lincoln would have approved of the descriptions applied to him like "saint" or "great" anything. What did he say about himself in his very short autobiographical statement?
Agreed!
Great you are back!

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - RJNorton - 01-22-2017 05:49 PM

(01-22-2017 02:16 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I've enjoyed reading all these posts! Great to be back.

Very true, Bill. His first one was very brief:

Born, February 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky.
Education defective.
Profession, a lawyer.
Have been a captain of volunteers in Black Hawk war.
Postmaster at a very small office.
Four times a member of the Illinois legislature, and was a member of the lower house of Congress.

RE: Lincoln as secular saint - LincolnMan - 01-23-2017 05:38 PM

Lincoln didn't even use any personal pronouns!