Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Other (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address (/thread-2457.html)

Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-14-2015 03:11 PM

Today,I met a man whose ancestor heard the Gettysburg Address!The ancestor recorded that it was a very stirring speech,and Lincoln looked taller than he expected! The ancestor was from Gettysburg,Pa.,and viewed part of the battle[little round top].His other ancestor was killed at Gettysburg as a soldier from Pa.WOW!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - LincolnToddFan - 05-14-2015 03:19 PM

Herb, that is very exciting and also intriguing...Lincoln was even taller than he expected him to be??

Goodness!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - LincolnMan - 05-14-2015 04:34 PM

Interesting that your ancestor that it was a stirring speech. Legend has it that Lincoln was that it was a flop immediately after delivering it.

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-14-2015 05:06 PM

Well,there were many misconceptions about Lincoln! Go figure!

Sorry for the first spelling of Ancestor!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - L Verge - 05-14-2015 06:10 PM

(05-14-2015 03:11 PM)HerbS Wrote:  Today,I met a man whose ancestor heard the Gettysburg Address!The ancestor recorded that it was a very stirring speech,and Lincoln looked taller than he expected! The ancestor was from Gettysburg,Pa.,and viewed part of the battle[little round top].His other ancestor was killed at Gettysburg as a soldier from Pa.WOW!

What wonderful family stories to be able to share. Makes one want to commune with the dead sometimes - shades of MTL.

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-14-2015 06:32 PM

If only trees,rocks and nature could TALK!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-15-2015 06:08 AM

The person whose ancestors were at Gettysburg,told me that his family loved Lincoln and were very patriotic! I feel that this explains why they thought the Gettysburg Address was stirring,and Lincoln seemed taller than expected!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - Juan Marrero - 05-15-2015 01:22 PM

I have a family Civil War diary that is unfortunately very laconic. The writer (ancestor on my wife's side) didn't seem to record much except the state of his stomach. He did note the death of Martin van Buren but that is about it. In his case, the trees and rocks are relatively more informative.

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-15-2015 07:07 PM

Thanks-Juan,Your family sounds interesting.Don't discount the value of a family diary.Every diary is not always that exciting as others!

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - Juan Marrero - 05-16-2015 09:17 PM

HerbS, I'm glad you raised the point you did. I had been a little smug in noting the poor fellow's fixation on his stomach. It is easy to smile at it from the vantage point of a 21st century house with access to all the uncontaminated water one could ever drink. Around a 19th campfire, stomach "issues" could have easily meant cholera and "fini." I know, I watched "Blazing Saddles."

RE: Anestor hears the Gettysburg Address - HerbS - 05-17-2015 08:00 AM

Juan-I agree with you 100%.