Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Samuel Arnold - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Samuel Arnold (/thread-2406.html)

Samuel Arnold - historybuff - 04-19-2015 04:20 PM

I would love to hear from folks who have knowledge of Samuel Arnold's later years in Friendship (now Fairhaven) Maryland.
I know he came to live and work on a farm owned by the Garner family. Supposedly he met Garner while a student at St. Timothy's, which Booth also attended.

RE: Samuel Arnold - Gene C - 04-19-2015 08:24 PM

Memoirs of A Lincoln Conspirator by Samuel Arnold is a great book, but unfortunately there is next to nothing of his life after prison.
Good luck.

RE: Samuel Arnold - Susan Higginbotham - 04-20-2015 12:48 PM

Percy Martin did a series of articles on Arnold for the Baltimore County Historical Society. I'll be happy to send PDF's of the articles to you, but there's not much about his later years in them.

RE: Samuel Arnold - Gene C - 04-20-2015 02:53 PM

There is some info on Dave Taylor's site Boothie Barn that has a photo or two of an older Sam Arnold, plus a short video of the home he used to live in.
http://boothiebarn.com/picture-galleries/samuel-arnold/

RE: Samuel Arnold - L Verge - 04-20-2015 02:58 PM

Sam pretty much hid himself from the world after his ordeal. He moved back to Baltimore and became a butcher before moving to the farm of an old friend. Dave Taylor and Lindsey Horn located the old farmhouse a year or so ago. Arnold did write his life story for the Baltimore American, and it was published in sequels. I believe that I'm correct that he was pretty much forced to write them in order to prove that he was still alive! Another man with the same name had his obituary confused with "our" Sam, who didn't die until 1906 and is buried in Green Mount Cemetery.

Percy Martin is a longtime member of the Surratt Society and one of the few people who tried to track down Arnold's history. Like the rest of the conspirators, he came from a respectable, middle-class family.

RE: Samuel Arnold - historybuff - 04-20-2015 11:16 PM

(04-20-2015 02:58 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Sam pretty much hid himself from the world after his ordeal. He moved back to Baltimore and became a butcher before moving to the farm of an old friend. Dave Taylor and Lindsey Horn located the old farmhouse a year or so ago. Arnold did write his life story for the Baltimore American, and it was published in sequels. I believe that I'm correct that he was pretty much forced to write them in order to prove that he was still alive! Another man with the same name had his obituary confused with "our" Sam, who didn't die until 1906 and is buried in Green Mount Cemetery.

Percy Martin is a longtime member of the Surratt Society and one of the few people who tried to track down Arnold's history. Like the rest of the conspirators, he came from a respectable, middle-class family.

Thanks to everyone who addressed this issue for me. I am aware that there were articles in the News-American but did not know exactly when and have not yet been to the archives for that paper.
I do know where the house is located, and have been by it, but not up in the driveway. Dave Taylor and his wife were fortunate that they could explore the area without disturbing any residents. I did read the articles on Boothie Barn. Susan, bless her heart, is going to send me the material by Percy Martin. Thank you all.

RE: Samuel Arnold - Susan Higginbotham - 04-21-2015 12:04 AM

Here is his very modest stone at Greenmount:

[Image: 2014-11-29041025_zps743b2acb.jpg]

RE: Samuel Arnold - historybuff - 04-21-2015 12:46 PM

Yes, it is a modest stone. But it appears that he was modest and unassuming in life, so why not?
I wish I had folks come and help me with my house and yard work as quickly as you people jump to share your wealth of knowledgeBig Grin
Thanks again.