Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-25-2018 08:09 PM

(12-25-2018 05:48 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(12-23-2018 10:23 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Since we're wandering through beautiful Oak Hill, what other child of a President - besides William Wallace Lincoln - was buried there and then re-interred elsewhere?

Can you give us a clue on this one?

Okay - back from my fa-la-la-ing with a clue: First-born son, likely cause of death was measles, died before Willie Lincoln.

Regarding the two previously mentioned children's first places of burial: Pauline Robinson Bush (Robin)'s body was first donated to science since leukemia was so unknown in 1953. Her remains were then buried in Putnam Cemetery in Greenwich, CT, before re-interment in Texas in 2000 when the site of President Bush's library was chosen.

Patrick Bouvier Kennedy and the still-born sister (Arabella), who was the first child of the Kennedys after a miscarriage, were both buried in Holyhood Cemetery in Brookline, MA, which President Kennedy claimed as his hometown.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-26-2018 01:41 PM

Clue #4: There are other Presidents besides a POTUS...

RE: Who is this person? - Warren - 12-26-2018 02:31 PM

Well, I'm thinking that could mean Jeff Davis or Sam Houston.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-26-2018 03:48 PM

I was thinking of Jefferson Davis, too, because he's buried there and his daughter "died young from infectious disease" but seems to be buried there not just temporarily but finally.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-26-2018 05:55 PM

Both Warren and Eva are correct in their suspicions that I am looking for the name of Jefferson and Varina Davis's first-born child. Few people realize that the Davises had six children, but only two who survived to adulthood.

Their first child was Samuel Emory Davis, named for his grandfather, and born on July 30, 1852. It is suspected that the cause of death was measles since his young uncle had been visiting with sister Varina while recovering from what appears to have been the same disease. Samuel died on June 30, 1854, and was laid to rest in Oak Hill Cemetery since his father was serving in the government and continued to do so until the Civil War intervened.

Young Samuel would remain in the Georgetown Cemetery for another 40 years. His father died in 1889 in New Orleans and was originally buried in that city's Metairie Cemetery. Finally, the remains of the President of the Confederate States of America were re-interred in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery, and Varina had some (not sure if all) of their children's remains moved there also in 1893.

Addendum: I might have to apologize for an error. According to one source on Find a Grave, Samuel Emory Davis was not the first-born child of the Davises. That was Isaac Cook Davis (b. 1845 in KY - died 1863 in the PA Battle of Stones Creek). Then came Samuel. The rest of the line is as follows - Margaret Howell Davis Hayes (b. 1855 in D.C. - married and bore five children (only one died in childhood and the last one lived until 1975) - d. 1909 in Colorado) - Jefferson Finis Davis (b. 1857 in D.C. - d. 1878 in Memphis from yellow fever) - Joseph Evan Davis (b. 1859 in D.C. - d. 1864 after falling 15 feet from a balcony at the Confederate White House) - William Howell Davis (b. 1861 - d. 1872 in Memphis from diphtheria) and finally Varina Ann Davis (b. 1864 - d. 1898 in Narragansett Pier, Narraganset, Rhode Island -- didn't that area have ties to Kate Chase?) I need to check on that Isaac listing because the sources I looked at said six children, and he would make seven. Also, was there a seven year span between the birth of Isaac and the birth of Samuel? Also, It's possible, but I doubt that Varina was married and had a child in the span of one year.

RE: Who is this person? - wpbinzel - 12-26-2018 06:34 PM

Following Laurie's lead on the cemeteries of Presidential descendents, WITHOUT RESORTING TO THE ALL-KNOWING GOOGLE, besides the three children of Abraham Lincoln, which other direct Presidential descendent is buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, IL?

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 12-26-2018 07:03 PM

I think one of Grant's daughters is buried there.
Usually I will double check Google to see if I'm right, but in this case …..

RE: Who is this person? - wpbinzel - 12-26-2018 08:55 PM

(12-26-2018 07:03 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I think one of Grant's daughters is buried there.
Usually I will double check Google to see if I'm right, but in this case …..

Well done, my friend! You are correct.

The All-Knowing Google will tell you that Ellen Wrenshall "Nellie" Grant Sartoris Jones, the third child, and only daughter, of Ulysses S. and Julia Dent Grant ("Wrenshall" was Julia's mother's maiden name -- no extra charge for that tidbit) is buried with her second husband, Frank Hatch Jones, in Oak Ridge Cemetery.

Your prize is something you already had: my very best wishes to you and your family for a Happy and Healthy 2019!!!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-26-2018 10:10 PM

Without the help of omniscient Google s.v.p., too - who is/was this gentleman?
[attachment=3004]

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 12-26-2018 10:39 PM

I'm guessing not military (no beard) ... a doctor?

RE: Who is this person? - Warren - 12-26-2018 11:49 PM

I don’t have a clue except that collar seems more modern than Civil War. Garfield’s assassin?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-27-2018 05:58 AM

A young Dr. Issachar Zacharie?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-27-2018 07:00 AM

Good ideas, everyone, nope, no doctor nor Garfield's assassin.
Hint #1: His occupations according to Wiki list "barber" and "operator of brothels".

RE: Who is this person? - Warren - 12-27-2018 02:38 PM

Is that the barber that supposedly shaved Booth and/or Surratt before the assassination? Can't recall his name but it was in some past posts in trial testamony.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-27-2018 02:54 PM

Warren, the barber's name was Charles Wood. I think that's a really good guess, but I have never read he operated any brothels.