Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Steve - 11-15-2018 12:00 AM

Not counting all those short-term acting AG's, Edwin Stanton during the waning days of the Buchanan administration.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-15-2018 03:51 AM

Elliot Richardson? ( Pres Nixon administration) 5 months?

RE: Who is this person? - David Lockmiller - 11-15-2018 05:27 AM

Steve is correct. It was "Edwin Stanton during the waning days of the Buchanan administration." Stanton served 75 days.

I saw this fact presented yesterday on the PBS News Hour after another alarming story on President Trump's new interim acting Attorney General.

I presume that this Edwin Stanton question has been asked heretofore on the Lincoln Symposium.

RE: Who is this person? - David Lockmiller - 11-26-2018 01:09 AM

(11-06-2018 10:23 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Was the West Point record tied to his skills as a horseman?

I thought that everyone might enjoy this little narrative by General U. S. Grant describing a personal adventure taking place in November, 1861 and which ends with an example of his superb horsemanship.

[F]earing that the enemy we had seen crossing the river below might be coming upon us unawares I [General Grant] rode out in the field to our front, still entirely alone, to observe whether the enemy was passing. The field was grown up with corn so tall and thick as to cut off the view of even a person on horseback, except directly along the rows. Even in that direction, owing to the overhanging blades of corn, the view was not extensive. I had not gone more than a few hundred yards when I saw a body of troops marching past me not fifty yards away. I looked at them for a moment and then turned my horse towards the river and started back, first in a walk, and when I thought myself concealed from the view of the enemy, as fast as my horse could carry me. When at the river bank I still had to ride a few hundred yards to the point where the nearest transport lay.

The cornfield in front of our transports terminated at the edge of a dense forest. Before I got back the enemy had entered this forest and had opened a brisk fire upon the boats. Our men, with the exception of details that had gone to the front after the wounded, were now either aboard the transports or very near them. Those who were not aboard soon got there, and the boats pushed off. I was the only man of the National army between the rebels and our transports. [More Grant humor?] The captain of a boat that had just pushed out but had not started, recognized me and ordered the engineer not to start the engine; he then had a plank run out for me.

My horse seemed to take in the situation. There was no path down the bank and every one acquainted with the Mississippi River knows that its banks, in a natural state, do not vary at any great angle from the perpendicular. My horse put his fore feet over the bank without hesitation or urging, and with his hind feet well under him, slid down the bank and trotted aboard the boat, twelve or fifteen feet away, over a single gang plank. I dismounted and went at once to the upper deck.

“Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant,” Vol. 1, pages 277-279 (1885).

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 06:15 AM

I think this might be a challenge. Although he was not involved in Lincoln's assassination itself, I could have put him in assassination trivia. Who is this man?

[Image: mannpicture1.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 12-23-2018 07:31 AM

Roger, was he born in the US?

A man of the cloth?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 07:51 AM

Michael, yes, he was born in the United States. No, he was not a clergyman.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 12-23-2018 07:51 AM

George Cader Powell?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 09:07 AM

Nope, it's not Lewis Powell's father.

RE: Who is this person? - Warren - 12-23-2018 10:36 AM

Charles Henry Crane?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 11:10 AM

Nope, it's not Charles H. Crane.

Hint #1: Politically he was a Democrat.

Hint #2: He is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Georgetown.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 12-23-2018 01:28 PM

Frederick A Aiken ?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 02:19 PM

Nope, it's not Aiken, but this guess is closer than any others.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-23-2018 05:21 PM

Would I find his image in 1. an assassination book or 2. in a book on Abraham Lincoln?

A lawyer?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-23-2018 06:03 PM

(12-23-2018 05:21 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Would I find his image in 1. an assassination book or 2. in a book on Abraham Lincoln?

A lawyer?

1. Conceivable but doubtful. I am not sure I have any books that include his photo.
2. No.
3. Yes!