Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-28-2013 12:47 PM

Joe,

Can you tell me the name of the facial recognition software you're using?! You, Roger and others are so good at this.

Is there a photo of Mr. Wilcox?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-28-2013 01:47 PM

Hi Anita. I have searched for a photo of Mr. Wilcox and drew a blank. Maybe someone else has seen one.

RE: Who is this person? - Joe Di Cola - 08-28-2013 02:19 PM

Here is some information about Samuel Wilcox. To the best of my knowledge, there is no extant photograph of him. He was born in Kentucky in 1812. The Armstrongs (Jack and Hannah) left what is Menard County and moved to Mason County, IL. Some years after Jack's death, Hannah married Samuel Wilcox in August of 1862. They moved to Iowa. Samuel died in August 1870 and his body was returned to Illinois where it is buried in Big Grove Cemetery in Mason County. Hannah died in Iowa in 1890 and her body was untimately buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Petersburg, IL under a headstone inscribed Hannah Wilcox--with a wooden sign off to the side with the name Hannah Armstrong.

(08-28-2013 02:19 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  Here is some information about Samuel Wilcox. To the best of my knowledge, there is no extant photograph of him. He was born in Kentucky in 1812. The Armstrongs (Jack and Hannah) left what is Menard County and moved to Mason County, IL. Some years after Jack's death, Hannah married Samuel Wilcox in August of 1862. They moved to Iowa. Samuel died in August 1870 and his body was returned to Illinois where it is buried in Big Grove Cemetery in Mason County. Hannah died in Iowa in 1890 and her body was untimately buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Petersburg, IL under a headstone inscribed Hannah Wilcox--with a wooden sign off to the side with the name Hannah Armstrong.

I should add that Jack Armstrong is buried next to his father, Robert (a Revolutionary War veteran), in Old Concord Cemetery, where the Rutledge plots are located.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-28-2013 02:41 PM

Thanks for this information Joe. I love learning about the people in Lincoln's world. Hannah came from strong pioneer stock to outlive two husbands. It was usually the other way around back then.

I was at the Old Concord Cemetery, where the Rutledge plots are located and being new to this, only looked for the Rutledge plots. I had also worn out my husband taking him to too many Lincoln related sites in one day.

RE: Who is this person? - Joe Di Cola - 08-28-2013 05:03 PM

(08-28-2013 02:41 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks for this information Joe. I love learning about the people in Lincoln's world. Hannah came from strong pioneer stock to outlive two husbands. It was usually the other way around back then.

I was at the Old Concord Cemetery, where the Rutledge plots are located and being new to this, only looked for the Rutledge plots. I had also worn out my husband taking him to too many Lincoln related sites in one day.

Anita,

Welcome to the site. Can you and your spouse join us in Springfield in October? We'd love to have you join us.

Joe

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-28-2013 05:24 PM

(08-28-2013 05:03 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(08-28-2013 02:41 PM)Anita Wrote:  Thanks for this information Joe. I love learning about the people in Lincoln's world. Hannah came from strong pioneer stock to outlive two husbands. It was usually the other way around back then.

Anita,

Welcome to the site. Can you and your spouse join us in Springfield in October? We'd love to have you join us.

Joe
Thank you Joe. I'm in CA but I would love to join you if I can. Please email the details.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-29-2013 08:46 AM

Who is this fellow?

[Image: beardedfellow987.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - J. Beckert - 08-29-2013 12:13 PM

Tom Pendel.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-29-2013 12:42 PM

Excellent, Joe! That's him. I really thought I was going to have to give some hints on this one.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-29-2013 02:53 PM

That was fast! I just looked him up. Does his autobiography "Thirty-Six Years in the White House" spend much time on the Lincoln years?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-29-2013 03:24 PM

Anita, the text of his book is online here. It looks like the Lincoln years end at page 50. As I was looking at page 50 I was struck by this paragraph:

"Some years after, during the Hayes administration, a Mrs. Rathbone called on the President and his family. I met her as she was leaving, and found that she was the Miss Harris who was in the box with Mr. Lincoln the night he was assassinated. She had just returned from Ohio, and said that Mrs. Lincoln was living there, in a town called Poe. She stated that Mrs. Lincoln requested her to inquire how many of the old employees were still in the White House. It touched me much to think that Mrs. Lincoln did not forget her old employees. I never saw Mrs. Rathbone after this."

Has anyone ever heard of Mary Lincoln living in Poe, Ohio. I never heard of that before. Never once have I ever read that Mary lived for a time in Poe, Ohio.

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 08-29-2013 03:42 PM

Thanks for the attachment Roger. I quickly read over the chapter about President Lincoln, fascinating!

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-29-2013 04:12 PM

Thanks for the link Roger.

I've never heard of Mary living in Poe, Ohio. I will search.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-29-2013 05:33 PM

I wonder if Tom Pendel was confused. Mary did live for awhile in Pau, France, during that time frame (late 1870's). So I guess my next question is whether or not the Rathbones made a trip to Europe in the 1870's.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 08-29-2013 05:40 PM

(08-29-2013 03:24 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Anita, the text of his book is online here. It looks like the Lincoln years end at page 50. As I was looking at page 50 I was struck by this paragraph:

"Some years after, during the Hayes administration, a Mrs. Rathbone called on the President and his family. I met her as she was leaving, and found that she was the Miss Harris who was in the box with Mr. Lincoln the night he was assassinated. She had just returned from Ohio, and said that Mrs. Lincoln was living there, in a town called Poe. She stated that Mrs. Lincoln requested her to inquire how many of the old employees were still in the White House. It touched me much to think that Mrs. Lincoln did not forget her old employees. I never saw Mrs. Rathbone after this."

Has anyone ever heard of Mary Lincoln living in Poe, Ohio. I never heard of that before. Never once have I ever read that Mary lived for a time in Poe, Ohio.

Roger, Hayes took office in 1877. We know Mary was living in Pau, France at that time. I think Pendel just misheard Pau for Poe. Mary may have written to Clara from Pau and asked about the White House employees.

(08-29-2013 05:33 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I wonder if Tom Pendel was confused. Mary did live for awhile in Pau, France, during that time frame (late 1870's). So I guess my next question is whether or not the Rathbones made a trip to Europe in the 1870's.

OOPs, missed your post.