Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-06-2018 08:26 AM

(11-06-2018 07:26 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Shortly after his graduation from West Point in 1843, Ulysses Grant shared an important national political opinion (that lasted a lifetime) with Congressman Abraham Lincoln. What was the nature of this opinion?

Is it the fact that both men opposed the Mexican War?

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 11-06-2018 10:23 AM

Was the West Point record tied to his skills as a horseman?

RE: Who is this person? - David Lockmiller - 11-06-2018 11:37 AM

(11-06-2018 10:23 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Was the West Point record tied to his skills as a horseman?

Absolutely.

While at the Academy, his greatest interest was horses, and he earned a reputation as the "most proficient" horseman. During the graduation ceremony, while riding York, a large and powerful horse that only Grant could manage well, he set a high-jump record that stood for 25 years. (Source: Wikipedia on "Grant")

Grant demonstrated his equestrian ability at the Battle of Monterrey by carrying a dispatch past snipers while hanging off the side of his horse, keeping the animal between him and the enemy. (Source: Wikipedia on "Grant")

(11-06-2018 08:26 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-06-2018 07:26 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Shortly after his graduation from West Point in 1843, Ulysses Grant shared an important national political opinion (that lasted a lifetime) with Congressman Abraham Lincoln. What was the nature of this opinion?

Is it the fact that both men opposed the Mexican War?

"There was no intimation given that the removal of the 3rd and 4th regiments of infantry to the western border of Louisiana was occasioned in any way by the prospective annexation of Texas, but it was generally understood that such was the case. Ostensibly we were intended to prevent filibustering into Texas, but really as a menace to Mexico in case she appeared to contemplate war. Generally the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory."

(Source:"Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant," (1885), Volume 1, page 53.)

RE: Who is this person? - David Lockmiller - 11-06-2018 10:22 PM

(11-06-2018 07:26 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Early on in his life following his graduation from West Point, Grant had decided upon his career path. The first step involved a return to West Point. What was to be his planned future and what was the successful step he took in this direction?

In answer to my own question, I present the following information from U. S. Grant's Memoirs, Vol. 1, pages 39 and 51:

"Mathematics was very easy for me, so that when January came, I passed the examination, taking a good standing in that branch."

"As already stated, it was never my intention to remain in the army long, but to prepare myself for a professorship in some college. Accordingly, soon after I was settled at Jefferson Barracks, I wrote a letter to Professor Church -- Professor of Mathematics at West Point -- requesting him to ask my designation as his assistant, when next a detail had to be made. Assistant professors at West Point are all officers of the army, supposed to be selected for their special fitness for the particular branch of study they are assigned to teach. The answer from Professor Church was entirely satisfactory, and no doubt I should have been detailed a year or two later but for the Mexican War coming on."

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-07-2018 12:40 AM

(11-06-2018 07:26 AM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  But for the early military preparations relating to the annexation of Texas, the lifelong marriage of Ulysses Grant might never have occurred. How did Grant explain this in his own words?

(From Grant's memoirs) "Before I returned I mustered up courage to make known, in the most awkward manner imaginable, the discovery I had made on learning that the 4th infantry had been ordered away from Jefferson Barracks. The young lady afterwards admitted that she too, although until then she had never looked upon me other than as a visitor whose company was agreeable to her, had experienced a depression of spirits she could not account for when the regiment left. Before separating it was definitely understood that at a convenient time we would join our fortunes, and not let the removal of a regiment trouble us."

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-12-2018 05:15 PM

Any ideas?

[attachment=2969]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 11-12-2018 05:44 PM

Thomas Eckert?

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-12-2018 05:52 PM

No, Eva ... The photo was taken quite a number of years after this person's involvement with an event related to this Forum.

but what an interesting person was Eckert!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Eckert

When I consider what these people did in their lives and think what I've done ... maybe I need to get a move on.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-12-2018 06:03 PM

Lew Wallace was appointed to the military commission which tried the charged conspirators in 1865. And in 1880 he wrote Ben Hur. So I shall guess Lew Wallace.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-12-2018 06:17 PM

No, Roger. Its not Lew Wallace.
My person would though have been able to assist Wallace at the commission ( I dont know if he was ever asked though)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lew_Wallace

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 11-12-2018 08:12 PM

McClellan?

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-12-2018 11:44 PM

No, not McClellan Eva.

Hope I havent misled anybody with reference to the Commission.

This involves a topic matter (not the Assassination as such) which is the subject of heated discussion.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-13-2018 04:16 AM

Considering this man's profession, one would hope that anything he said or wrote would be truthful.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 11-13-2018 06:02 AM

I do not believe I have ever seen a photo of Seaton Munroe. He was a lawyer in Washington. He might "fit" with your clues. So I shall guess Seaton Munroe.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 11-13-2018 07:05 AM

No, sorry Roger. Not Seaton. I couldnt find a photo of him either.

You are though correct as to the topic, I think.

But the person that I am referring to has no connection with Seaton. My person, when he was involved in the topic of interest, had no mustache. He may have wanted to have one, but I think I'm correct in saying he did not have one.

There's a very indirect connection with this person ...
[attachment=2970]

With that near 'Finish', I think I have either given it away or totally confused you.