Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-30-2018 09:14 AM

Kudos to Eva! And kudos to Laurie for agreeing with her. Yes, I scanned a small portion of James Tanner's notes. During the night of Lincoln's assassination Tanner, a disabled veteran, took down testimony of eyewitnesses using shorthand. He did this at the Petersen House. This was the initial testimony in connection to the assassination. I have a book titled While Lincoln Lay Dying. This book contains Tanner's shorthand, and I took the scan from that book.

RE: Who is this person? - Susan Higginbotham - 08-30-2018 09:15 AM

R. R. Hitt?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-30-2018 09:17 AM

I am sorry, Susan. Please see above.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2018 09:33 AM

(08-30-2018 09:14 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos to Eva! And kudos to Laurie for agreeing with her. Yes, I scanned a small portion of James Tanner's notes. During the night of Lincoln's assassination Tanner, a disabled veteran, took down testimony of eyewitnesses using shorthand. He did this at the Petersen House. This was the initial testimony in connection to the assassination. I have a book titled While Lincoln Lay Dying. This book contains Tanner's shorthand, and I took the scan from that book.
Can't resist the comment - it's always smart to agree with me... (just kidding!)

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 08-30-2018 11:55 AM

I agree with Eva's comment above.
Smile

RE: Who is this person? - Susan Higginbotham - 08-30-2018 01:01 PM

(08-30-2018 09:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I am sorry, Susan. Please see above.

Sorry, I posted my guess without seeing you had posted before me!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 08-30-2018 01:10 PM

No problem - I know the feeling as the same has happened to me several times.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 08-30-2018 06:03 PM

(08-30-2018 11:55 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I agree with Eva's comment above.
Smile
Well, it is sure even smarter to agree with Laurie...and the smartest to agree with Fido (who wouldn't agree on that?)!

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 09-20-2018 05:18 AM

Who is this person?

[attachment=2947]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-20-2018 05:53 AM

James Matheny (Lincoln's best man at wedding)?

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 09-20-2018 06:13 AM

No, sorry Roger ... the age of this person was similar to Matheny (11 years younger and died 10 years before him) ... but this person was never a best man .

Lincoln was one of this person's many admirers. Napoleon III was another admirer. Queen Victoria ? ... well, they apparently met, but as to the Queen's reaction ... I'm not sure.

One more hint ... Eva might be best placed to get the answer.

And one or two more hints this person ( why do I keep using that word?) was described as "magnificent" by some.

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 09-20-2018 07:10 PM

(09-20-2018 06:13 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  No, sorry Roger ... the age of this person was similar to Matheny (11 years younger and died 10 years before him) ... but this person was never a best man .

Lincoln was one of this person's many admirers. Napoleon III was another admirer. Queen Victoria ? ... well, they apparently met, but as to the Queen's reaction ... I'm not sure.

And one or two more hints this person ( why do I keep using that word?) was described as "magnificent" by some.

looks like this one is testing you ... I'll give the answer in 24 hours (7pm Washington time).

Another clue ... this person was a trendsetter and would be very much at home in the media now.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 09-20-2018 09:20 PM

(09-20-2018 07:10 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 06:13 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  No, sorry Roger ... the age of this person was similar to Matheny (11 years younger and died 10 years before him) ... but this person was never a best man .

looks like this one is testing you ... I'll give the answer in 24 hours (7pm Washington time).

Another clue ... this person was a trendsetter and would be very much at home in the media now.

Stop the presses! There was a very young German journalist who followed Lincoln's campaign. Are you referring to Henry Villard?

RE: Who is this person? - AussieMick - 09-20-2018 09:30 PM

Er, no. Sorry, Laurie ... but you deserve another clue.
Apart from the German connection I dont think you could have chosen someone less suitable (sorry ... I know ... its easy when you know the answer). I'll think of a better clue ...

My person was not a journalist nor involved in the Civil War nor political nor involved in the assassination nor Lincoln's life pre-presidency.

I dont know if he even spoke to this woman.
(And actually , reading Wikipedia 's Henry Villard life story, I see that Henry was quite a rebel when he was young in Germany ... my person was a sort of rebel against the norm all her life. So there was a similarity.)

As far as Lincoln biographers are concerned, I think only David H Donald refers to this woman.

RE: Who is this person? - Susan Higginbotham - 09-21-2018 12:33 AM

Was the person a performer?