Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 12-03-2017 08:18 AM

(12-03-2017 07:51 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who is this?

[Image: humanbeing102.jpg]

Thomas Eckert ?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-03-2017 09:43 AM

Excellent, Gene! I thought this one might require some clues as I think all other photos I've seen of Eckert are with a mustache. Can't fool you, Gene!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-05-2017 06:41 AM

Thank you to Anita for sending this photo as a trivia question. Who is this?

[Image: manofmystery201.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-05-2017 11:29 AM

I am taking a wild stab at this based on my perception that the gentleman is African American. Many years ago, a Canadian member of the Surratt Society supplied us with a very interesting biography of a black surgeon by the name of Anderson Abbott, who was born in Canada after his free black parents fled Alabama. Abbott went on to become the first Canadian-born black surgeon.

When our CW began, he signed on as a civilian contract doctor with the Union forces and served for several years at the Freedman's Hospital in D.C. and also one in nearby Virginia. He also became friends with President Lincoln and is said to have been one of the first African Americans to attend one of the White House parties. There is also a story that he accompanied Elizabeth Keckly to the Petersen House on the night of the assassination, however, it appears that Mrs. Keckly did not reach that home until the next morning. Later, it is said that Mrs. Lincoln gave Dr. Abbott the plaid shawl that President Lincoln had worn at his first inaugural.

So, my guess is that this is Dr. Anderson Abbott. And, if I'm wrong, you have had my history lesson for the day anyhow.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 12-05-2017 12:32 PM

Laurie, thanks for the history lesson ! The gentleman in the photo is not Dr. Abbott but he too was skilled with his hands.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-05-2017 05:05 PM

Wow, Anita - that is one great question, thanks much, I had no idea of this fascinating gentleman and it will be quite exciting to look for his gravesite...(anyway a must-see-destination long on my bucket list...). I'm afraid I cheated and cannot participate - it's a hard one (I'd think).

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 12-05-2017 08:32 PM

HINT! This person entertained in the White House while Lincoln was President.

RE: Who is this person? - Steve - 12-05-2017 09:06 PM

Magician Compars Herrmann

RE: Who is this person? - Dennis Urban - 12-05-2017 09:50 PM

Wild Guess; Spiritualist Charles Colchester ??
As I recall, he was thrown out of the Executive Mansion when exposed as a fraud by Lincoln.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-05-2017 10:40 PM

Steve, kudos, your knowledge is magical! I was too curious and cheated by Google search, which brought this exciting input up:
http://deadconjurers.blogspot.de/2011/01/compars-herrmanns-grave.html?m=1

PS: He's in entertaining company - I would think no cemetery "houses" more VIP musicians and artists:
https://m.ranker.com/list/famous-people-buried-in-vienna/reference

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 12-06-2017 07:34 AM

(12-05-2017 09:50 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Wild Guess; Spiritualist Charles Colchester ??
As I recall, he was thrown out of the Executive Mansion when exposed as a fraud by Lincoln.

Terry Alford writes that he wore a specially designed noisemaker strapped to his biceps.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-06-2017 10:23 AM

I believe that Terry is currently researching magicians, and especially Spiritualism, of the 19th century. Surratt House actually has a fall program planned on Spiritualism and its effect on 19th- and 20th-century theatrical programs which will include a historian/illusionist.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 12-06-2017 12:07 PM

Congrats Steve! It is indeed magician Carl Herrmann. " He came from the magical Herrmann family of Hanover, Germany. One of his stops while on tour in America in 1861 was the White House where he performed in the East Room for Lincoln and a group of cabinet members. When he tried to get Lincoln to shuffle a deck of cards, Lincoln handed them to Simon Cameron, his secretary of war, saying 'This gentleman shuffles the cards for me at present.' " https://tinyurl.com/y8l2kubb

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 12-06-2017 04:25 PM

Man! I've been sitting at home today with carpenters pounding things around me, so I decided to google "Lincoln and Illusionists." Never found that topic because there is an evidently superb Broadway production called "The Illusionists," and it's playing at D.C.'s Kennedy Center at the end of this month. It is also booked into other venues, and every ticket center known to man is advertising it.

In case y'all want to visit the New Year's Eve production at the Kennedy Center, here's general information (no price).

The Illusionists

Direct from Broadway, the world’s best-selling magic show returns to the Kennedy Center after sell-out shows in 2015! This mind-blowing spectacular showcases the jaw-dropping talents of the most incredible Illusionists on earth. The Illusionists has shattered box office records across the globe and dazzles audiences of all ages with a powerful mix of the most outrageous and astonishing acts ever to be seen on stage. This non-stop show is packed with thrilling and sophisticated magic of unprecedented proportions.

Recommended for age 7 and up.

Performance Timing: Approximately 2 hours, including one intermission.

Going to the 8 p.m. show on New Year's Eve? Your ticket also includes the Kennedy Center Grand Foyer Party, with festive dancing to great bands, a countdown to midnight, a big balloon drop, and more.

Wonder how much Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln would have paid to take Tad to this...

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 12-06-2017 11:14 PM

Compars possibly performed another time before the Lincolns (see my first link above):
"On January 27th, 1862, Compars, who was also known as Carl appeared with his younger brother Alexander before President Abraham Lincoln, Mrs. Lincoln and his cabinet at The White House in Washington D.C.. One of the feature effects he performed was the Inexhaustible Bottle. This was an effect where any drink called for would come out of the bottle. Mrs. Lincoln requested tea, which Compars gladly poured from the bottle. Members of the audience asked for other drinks and Compars poured each drink called for from the bottle. This was a popular effect of the time and many magicians used it successfully."

No source for this, however, and a Lincoln Log entty on that day reads:
" Mrs. Lincoln is ill today. Boston Advertiser, 28 February 1862."
Maybe it was chamomile tea she requested...

Here's a newspaper obituary:
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?apm=0&aid=apr&datum=18870610&seite=1