Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - wpbinzel - 10-10-2015 01:16 AM

(10-09-2015 05:47 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Great the prize meets your taste and a multi-purpose use®, Laurie!

(10-09-2015 12:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  (Happy re-inacting!)
Forgot - don't forget to raise the flag again in the end:

All kidding aside, I was wondering if at the re-raising on April 14,1865, the stars for the two states that meanwhile had gained admission to the Union (West Virginia and Nevada) had somehow been added. Nope - and it hadn't been up-to-date on April 14, 1861 either, showing 33 stars only while Kansas had become #34 on January 29 of that year.

Also I had never known (nor wondered about) where the flag had hibernated during the war years. In (the unlikely) case I am not only one, the trivial tidbit is - here, there, and everywhere:

"Anderson brought the flag to New York City for an April 20, 1861 patriotic rally, where it was flown from the equestrian statue of George Washington. More than 100,000 people thronged Manhattan's Union Square in what was, by some accounts, the largest public gathering in the country up to that time. The flag was then taken from town to town, city to city throughout the North, where it was frequently 'auctioned' to raise funds for the war effort. Any patriotic citizen who won the flag at auction was expected to immediately donate it back to the nation, and it would promptly be taken to the next rally to repeat its fundraising magic."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Sumter_Flag
The site also reads:
"The Fort Sumter Flag is still on display at National Park Service."
Where is that now??? Does that refer to the NPS headquarters in DC?
It is at the NPS harbor location in Charleston, where you can board a boat for the approximately 20 minute ride out to Fort Sumter. So it is in Charleston and not actually at Fort Sumter.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-27-2015 05:59 PM

I don't expect this to last long, but I'll try...Who is he, and where?
[attachment=1895]

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 10-27-2015 06:50 PM

Looks like Shakespeare, or Lenin (not John)
not sure where

RE: Who is this person? - wpbinzel - 10-27-2015 09:47 PM

(10-27-2015 05:59 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I don't expect this to last long, but I'll try...Who is he, and where?

Oh, oh! I know! I know! ;-)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2015 06:18 AM

(This memorable hairdo...) Kudos, Gene, Shakespeare is correct. But this isn't just any Shakespeare.
Hint #1:
[attachment=1896]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2015 07:49 AM

Just to clarify - the "where" is still to be determined, and actually the more interesting part and tie than the mere "who".

Hint #2:
[attachment=1897]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-28-2015 08:31 AM

I am not sure I am following this correctly - but I shall guess Rome?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2015 09:39 AM

This is a very smart guess, Roger, but this WS is not to be encountered in Rome. Nevertheless the hints do look Roman, don't they?
Hint #3:
[attachment=1898]
Hint #4 would be another "buddy", but AFAIK no depiction of him exists.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-28-2015 11:22 AM

I thought the answer would be the Shakespeare statue in NYC that the Booth brothers put on a fundraising presentation for, but hints 3 and 4 now have me confused.

RE: Who is this person? - wpbinzel - 10-28-2015 11:28 AM

(10-28-2015 11:22 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I thought the answer would be the Shakespeare statue in NYC that the Booth brothers put on a fundraising presentation for, but hints 3 and 4 now have me confused.

I do believe you are correct that it is Wilhelm S. in Central Park.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2015 12:00 PM

Kudos, Laurie and Bill! The fundraising presentation of Julius Cesar (the gentleman in hint #1) took place on November 25, 1864 at the Winter Garden Theater in NYC. John Wilkes played Marc Antony (hint #3), Edwin played Brutus (hint #2), and Junius played Cassius (#4).
http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attractions/william-shakespeare.html
I hope all participants (=winners) will enjoy the prize:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLiDrYPE1w

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-28-2015 02:15 PM

And they should have included Joseph Booth dressed as Nero and playing the fiddle because that was the night that subversive operatives attempted to burn buildings in New York, I believe.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-29-2015 09:02 AM

Who is this?

[Image: guesswo.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-29-2015 03:52 PM

Looks a bit like John T Stuart, but I guess it's not he?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-29-2015 05:23 PM

That's a good guess, Eva, but it's not he.

Hint #1: This is the father of a man whom we have discussed on this forum.