Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-28-2015 02:24 PM

(09-28-2015 12:21 PM)Anita Wrote:  At this time, where working at a store in New Salem, Illinois, Lincoln had a famous bout with Jack Armstrong, also a county wrestling champion.

There are many conflicting accounts of the wrestling match with Jack Armstrong. If anyone is interested in reading several of them please see chapter 1 in Douglas Wilson's Honor's Voice (pp. 19-51). Regarding the match John T. Stuart opined, "This was the turning point in Lincoln's life."

Anita, I think the Rousey-Holm match has been re-scheduled to be fought in Melbourne, Australia, so you will have a longer trip than originally planned!

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-29-2015 09:18 PM

Who is this person and what is his connection to Lincoln?

[attachment=1839]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-30-2015 05:16 AM

That is George P. Davis, son of Judge David Davis. As a young lad I think he sometimes accompanied his father and others (including Abraham Lincoln) on the 8th Judicial Circuit in Illinois. I think he rode in Lincoln's buggy on at least one occasion.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-30-2015 11:45 AM

Excellent Roger! In the Fall of 1850 Judge Davis took his wife and eight year old son George with him to to ride the circuit. George rode the entire time in Lincoln's buggy. Jean Baker, "Mary Tood Lincoln" p. 109

Your prize is your very own e-buggy with horse named Buck.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 09-30-2015 02:45 PM

Oh my....now to get this approved by our very strict homeowners' association. Wish me luck!

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 09-30-2015 08:52 PM

I do wish you luck - double check the CC&Rs. I'm sure a good country lawyer can find a loophole!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-09-2015 08:42 AM

Who is this person?
[attachment=1860]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-09-2015 08:54 AM

I know this is wrong most likely - George Armstrong Custer's last picture before death?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-09-2015 09:01 AM

An outstanding guess, Roger, but it's not he.

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-09-2015 09:44 AM

Wild Bill is going to know this one - I've seen that photo at least 25 times, but the name evades me at the moment.

As soon as I clicked off, I remembered! That is Edmund Ruffin, a Southern firebrand from Virginia who is credited with being given the honor of firing the first shot at Fort Sumter in 1861. Interesting gentleman.

RE: Who is this person? - Wild Bill - 10-09-2015 10:35 AM

CSA Genl Stand Waitie

I think Laurie is correct on second thought

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-09-2015 12:15 PM

Kudos, Laurie and Bill - the photo shows Edmund Ruffin. And as for Laurie's very first thought - the question was a bit dedicated to Wild Bill...as is the prize. You both win the Second Inaugural ball sugar model of Fort Sumpter and this:
[attachment=1861]
(Happy re-inacting!)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-09-2015 12:18 PM

(10-09-2015 12:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Kudos, Laurie and Bill - the photo shows Edmund Ruffin. And as for Laurie's very first thought - the question was a bit dedicated to Wild Bill...as is the prize. You both win the Second Inaugural ball sugar model of Fort Sumpter and this:

(Happy re-inacting!)

I definitely want the Water Blaster!!! My friends will know why...

Stand Waitie is another interesting gentleman. Check him out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_Watie

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-09-2015 05:47 PM

Great the prize meets your taste and a multi-purpose use®, Laurie!

(10-09-2015 12:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  (Happy re-inacting!)
Forgot - don't forget to raise the flag again in the end:
[attachment=1862]
All kidding aside, I was wondering if at the re-raising on April 14,1865, the stars for the two states that meanwhile had gained admission to the Union (West Virginia and Nevada) had somehow been added. Nope - and it hadn't been up-to-date on April 14, 1861 either, showing 33 stars only while Kansas had become #34 on January 29 of that year.

Also I had never known (nor wondered about) where the flag had hibernated during the war years. In (the unlikely) case I am not only one, the trivial tidbit is - here, there, and everywhere:

"Anderson brought the flag to New York City for an April 20, 1861 patriotic rally, where it was flown from the equestrian statue of George Washington. More than 100,000 people thronged Manhattan's Union Square in what was, by some accounts, the largest public gathering in the country up to that time. The flag was then taken from town to town, city to city throughout the North, where it was frequently 'auctioned' to raise funds for the war effort. Any patriotic citizen who won the flag at auction was expected to immediately donate it back to the nation, and it would promptly be taken to the next rally to repeat its fundraising magic."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Sumter_Flag
The site also reads:
"The Fort Sumter Flag is still on display at National Park Service."
Where is that now??? Does that refer to the NPS headquarters in DC?

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-09-2015 06:27 PM

(10-09-2015 05:47 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Great the prize meets your taste and a multi-purpose use®, Laurie!

(10-09-2015 12:15 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  (Happy re-inacting!)
Forgot - don't forget to raise the flag again in the end:

All kidding aside, I was wondering if at the re-raising on April 14,1865, the stars for the two states that meanwhile had gained admission to the Union (West Virginia and Nevada) had somehow been added. Nope - and it hadn't been up-to-date on April 14, 1861 either, showing 33 stars only while Kansas had become #34 on January 29 of that year.

Also I had never known (nor wondered about) where the flag had hibernated during the war years. In (the unlikely) case I am not only one, the trivial tidbit is - here, there, and everywhere:

"Anderson brought the flag to New York City for an April 20, 1861 patriotic rally, where it was flown from the equestrian statue of George Washington. More than 100,000 people thronged Manhattan's Union Square in what was, by some accounts, the largest public gathering in the country up to that time. The flag was then taken from town to town, city to city throughout the North, where it was frequently 'auctioned' to raise funds for the war effort. Any patriotic citizen who won the flag at auction was expected to immediately donate it back to the nation, and it would promptly be taken to the next rally to repeat its fundraising magic."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Sumter_Flag
The site also reads:
"The Fort Sumter Flag is still on display at National Park Service."
Where is that now??? Does that refer to the NPS headquarters in DC?

Isn't it on display at Ft. Sumter?