Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 02-22-2015 04:44 PM

Victorian ladies only had pierced earrings. Screw-back earrings came in around 1920 and clips about a decade later (I think).

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-22-2015 04:52 PM

Thanks, Laurie - that quite surprises me! Regarding my own painful experience with clips I wonder why they became popular. What are screw-back earrings?

(02-22-2015 04:52 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  What are screw-back earrings?
Consulting Dr. Google, I found this construction - never seen before!!!
[attachment=1479]
(Looks more comfy to wear than clips.)

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 02-22-2015 05:08 PM

(02-22-2015 04:52 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thanks, Laurie - that quite surprises me! Regarding my own painful experience with clips I wonder why they became popular. What are screw-back earrings?

(Looks more convenient to me than clips!)

I was allowed to wear screw-back earrings and clip-ons when I became a teenager. Neither type was particularly comfortable - screw-back only slightly better. Then came the 1960s. God bless the hippies for reinventing the popularity of pierced earrings. I would never wear any other.

(02-22-2015 05:08 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(02-22-2015 04:52 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thanks, Laurie - that quite surprises me! Regarding my own painful experience with clips I wonder why they became popular. What are screw-back earrings?

(Looks more convenient to me than clips!)

I was allowed to wear screw-back earrings and clip-ons when I became a teenager. Neither type was particularly comfortable - screw-back only slightly better. Then came the 1960s. God bless the hippies for reinventing the popularity of pierced earrings. I would never wear any other.

Did you know that ancient mariners wore pierced earrings because they thought it improved their eyesight? Or that, if their body washed up on shore, the earring(s) would pay for a good Christian burial?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-22-2015 06:00 PM

Laurie - no, I didn't, that's fascinating!!!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-24-2015 02:43 PM

Who is this gentleman?
[attachment=1482]

RE: Who is this person? - Rogerm - 02-24-2015 02:48 PM

The gentleman looks like a beardless Lincoln.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-24-2015 03:08 PM

Good guess, Roger, he indeed does to me, too! I'm sorry though it isn't Abraham Lincoln.

RE: Who is this person? - Linda Anderson - 02-24-2015 03:13 PM

The photo is of John Brown.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-24-2015 03:21 PM

Kudos, Linda - that is correct:
[attachment=1483]
I cannot think of a better prize that wishing you a wonderful week and the speedy arrival of spring in your area!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 02-25-2015 06:43 AM

Who is this person?

[Image: canyoutellwhothisis.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 02-25-2015 08:51 AM

Stephen Douglas?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 02-25-2015 09:43 AM

Good job, Gene! Indeed it is Mr. Douglas.

Jean Baker includes the following story in her Mary Lincoln biography. Mary Todd and Stephen Douglas had dated during their youthful years in Springfield. Baker writes that "Springfield remembered Mary Todd and Stephen Douglas as a special pair..." As First Lady Mary said she turned Douglas down with the words, "You have my best wishes, Mr. Douglas; still I cannot consent to be your wife. I shall become Mrs. President, or I am the victim of false prophets, but it will not be as Mrs. Douglas."

[Image: Douglas_teaser.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 02-25-2015 10:57 AM

Douglas had his shortcommings, but he showed a lot of class after he lost the presidential election to Lincoln.

An incident occurred during the inauguration which has become part of American folklore – except that it was reported at the time by Murat Halstead of the Cincinnati Commercial, “One of the Representatives of this State in Congress reports an interesting and rather funny incident of the Inauguration, which, not having seen in print, we record. On approaching the platform where he was to take his oath and be inducted into the office of Chief Executive, Mr. Lincoln removed his hat and held it in his hand as he took the seat assigned him. The article seemed to be a burden. He changed it awkwardly from one to another, and finally, despairing of finding for it any other easy position, deposited it upon the platform near him. Senators and judges crowded in, and to make room for them removed nearer the front of the stage, carrying his tile with him. Again it was dandled uneasily, and as Senator Edward Baker approached to introduce him to the audience he made a motion to replace the tile on the stage under the seat, when Douglas, who had been looking on quietly, and apparently with some apprehensions of a catastrophe to the hat, said, ‘Permit me, sir,’ and gallantly took the vexatious article, and held it during the entire reading of the Inaugural! Douglas must have reflected pretty seriously during that half hour, that instead of delivering an inaugural address from the portico, he was holding the hat of the man who was doing it.”133

Douglas biographer Robert W. Johannsen wrote: “The fall of Fort Sumter and Douglas’s public avowal of support to the Lincoln administration climaxed several years of struggle during which the Illinois Senator sought to forestall the sectionalization of politics and the disunion he felt would inevitably follow. The breakup of the Democratic party in the spring of 1860, the futility of his campaign for the Presidency, and the secession of the lower South were events of tragic proportions to Douglas. The high office toward which his entire career had pointed had been denied him, his party was a shambles, and disunion had become an accomplished fact. ‘All that in years past he had looked for,’ observed one of Douglas’s close friends, ‘all he had struggled for, seemed put forever beyond his reach; and he was from that hour a different man.’”142

Douglas returned to Illinois, preaching support for the Union before and after he arrived. He met with Governor Richard Yates in Springfield and then proceeded to his home him Chicago where he spoke in the same Wigwam where Abraham Lincoln had been nominated by the Republican Party for President. Illinois editor Jeriah Bonham recalled that Douglas’s speech ‘was an effort worthy of the patriot statesman’s life. It was oracular, prophetic, commanding, beseeching and persuading. Its arguments were unanswerable. It was like the words of the prophets of old, appealing to conscience, the heart, and love of country…”The present secession movement is the result of an enormous conspiracy formed more than a year ago. There are only two sides to the question. Every man must be for e the United States or against it. There can be no neutrals in this war; ONLY PATRIOTS – or traitors. I express it as my conviction before God that it is the duty of every American citizen to rally round the flag of his country. Illinois has a proud position, united, firm, determined never to permit the government to be destroyed.”143 Historian Mark E. Neely, Jr., noted that “Douglas rushed to pledge fealty to the Union and to denounce partisanship after the fall of Fort Sumter. ‘There are but two parties,’ he said, ‘the party of patriots and the party of traitors. Democrats belong to the first.’ That rare example of lofty eloquence from the practical Douglas would often be quoted during the war.”144

There is a lot more, these few paragraphs are from - http://abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/abraham-lincolns-contemporaries/abraham-lincoln-and-stephen-a-douglas/

RE: Who is this person? - Gene C - 03-15-2015 02:48 PM

In 1857, Jefferson Davis Jr. was born, His birth almost cost his mother, Varina Davis her life. While she was in critical condition, a snowstorm swept the city of Washington leaving drifts so high that a friend and neighbor who was nursing her could not make it across the street. Our "mystery person", who did not know her, had his own thoroughbred horses harnessed to a sleigh, and had personally driven another of Varina's nurses to her door. The harness had broken, and the trip had been made at some peril. "This service, introduced us to him...", Varina wrote in 1890.

Who did this?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 03-16-2015 04:51 AM

William Seward?