Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-19-2015 08:22 AM

You remind me of this discussion:
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-1121-post-23171.html?highlight=hand+in+jacket#pid23171
...and the tie may also be a scarf like JWB's in that photo. But it's sure not JWB, he was slimmer. Hmmmm. Looks like someone who took great interest in a neat appearance. Robert (TL)? Another wild guess (if allowed) - John Hay in later life?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-19-2015 09:49 AM

Eva, you have a unique ability at figuring these things out! Kudos! Indeed that is Robert T. Lincoln. It is from a LOC photo which indicates Edwin Stanton's son, E.L. Stanton, is on the left and Mr. Wells(?) on the right.

[Image: 05073r.jpg]

Eva, you win one free ride aboard the Sunbeam at Hildene.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-19-2015 10:39 AM

Roger, I really feel quite sorry that my guess was correct again (since I'm also in advantage of time) and I spoiled another chance for Toia (who's 9 hours "behind" and was most likely still sleeping) and others to (practice) guess(ing). I'll hold back next time.

Thanks for the wonderful prize! I would love to see Hildene and Vermont, and "Sunbeam" is a promising name!

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 01-19-2015 01:12 PM

The hand in vest pose made famous by Napoleon Bonaparte has been the target of many jokes about its meaning -- from scratching an itch, rubbing a throbbing stomach ulcer, a deformed hand, etc. I had been told that it was simply a proper stance for a man of breeding in those days, no drooping shoulders, no dangling arms, etc.

Since it seems popular nowadays to blame the Masons for everything, I thought y'all would enjoy this website's explanation of the significance: http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/the-hidden-hand-that-changed-history/

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-23-2015 05:49 AM

Yesterday I contacted one of our forum members and asked if I could post his winning smile. He said yes. Who is he?

[Image: winningsmile.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-23-2015 06:14 AM

Now that's a winning smile. Daniel D. Lewis isn't a forum member in disguise, is he?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-23-2015 06:17 AM

Eva, let me check the list of forum members.

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 01-23-2015 10:46 AM

Is it Tom Bogar?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-23-2015 11:20 AM

Brilliant, Scott!! Just like a year ago, when they were also vacationing in our area, Vicki and I had the pleasure of having lunch yesterday with Tom and his lovely wife, Gail. I asked if I could take a photo of his winning smile and pose it as a trivia question. Tom is hard at work on another book!

[Image: TomBogar100.JPG]

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 02-09-2015 01:39 PM

Who is this man (sorry about the poor quality of this image)?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 02-09-2015 01:48 PM

Dr. John Frederick May?

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 02-09-2015 01:52 PM

(02-09-2015 01:48 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Dr. John Frederick May?

Although distinguished looking in this image, it is not Dr. May.

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 02-09-2015 03:31 PM

Hint #1: He was present at Ford's Theatre on the night of April 14, 1865.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 02-09-2015 04:12 PM

Dr. Charles Leale (when he was older than the image often seen in books)?

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 02-09-2015 04:34 PM

(02-09-2015 04:12 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Dr. Charles Leale (when he was older than the image often seen in books)?

It is not Dr. Charles Leale. But you are on the right track with your comment. This image is of the subject as an older man (by about 35 years or so) than he was at the time of the assassination. It is one of only 2 images of him I have yet seen.

Hint #2: He provided testimony at both the impeachment trial of Andrew Johnson and the trial of John Surratt.