Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-12-2015 06:35 PM

I believe Betty is right!!! Thanks Betty!!! I would have twisted my brain all night long as I was so sure I had seen this before. Now I remember I came across it when I researched Barnum for a trivia question some time ago.

RE: Who is this person? - BettyO - 01-12-2015 06:50 PM

I was doing some research on Barnum on Saturday....

RE: Who is this person? - STS Lincolnite - 01-12-2015 06:51 PM

I will toss in my guess as General Tom Thumb (I believe his real name was Charles Stratton). I know that shortly after his wedding he and his bride met President and Mrs. Lincoln. What an interesting photo that would have been...Lincoln standing next to General Tom Thumb!!

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-12-2015 06:58 PM

(01-12-2015 06:51 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  I will toss in my guess as General Tom Thumb (I believe his real name was Charles Stratton). I know that shortly after his wedding he and his bride met President and Mrs. Lincoln. What an interesting photo that would have been...Lincoln standing next to General Tom Thumb!!
Yes, that was the reception Robert refused to attend because of his different notions of duty:
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=28504

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-12-2015 06:59 PM

Brilliant Betty, Eva, and Scott! This is yet another question where I thought I would have to give hints.

The Wikipedia article has the photo I used.

There is a nice article here.

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 01-12-2015 11:57 PM

I've read about the WH party President and Mrs. Lincoln hosted for Tom and Lavinia Thumb many times. It's such a sad, sweet, funny, bizarre story. I can't even imagine what it must have looked like when the giant A.L. bent to shake their little hands.

And Barnum charged SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS APIECE for 5,000 people to attend their NYC reception??That was a FORTUNE in the 1860's!!Huh

And how awful that one of Queen Victoria's poodles attacked them when they went to visit her!!Confused

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-13-2015 05:41 AM

Regarding Lavina was entitled "Queen of Beauty" by the NYT, Tad's “Mother, if you were a little woman like Mrs. Stratton, you would look just like her!” was a nice compliment.

Did you check out the NYT article of the reception? It's a nice read, too: http://www.nytimes.com/1863/02/11/news/loving-lilliputians-warren-thumbiana-marriage-general-tom-thumb-queen-beauty-who.html?scp=36&sq=charles%20stratton&st=cse&pagewanted=1

RE: Who is this person? - LincolnToddFan - 01-13-2015 07:56 PM

Incredibly detailed info....thanks Eva!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-18-2015 01:15 PM

What is this man's name?

[Image: niceshave.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-18-2015 02:32 PM

I don't think I've ever seen this photo nor does this man resesemble anyone from any photo I've seen. But I'll take a wild guess. He 100% looks like a doctor to me, and again I think it's a post-1865, but still 19th century photo. I can't remember having seen a photo of Dr. Patterson, but this is what I would imagine him to look like?!

(The gentleman looks a bit like Sigmund Freud to me, maybe that's what makes me think of a psychology doc:
[attachment=1358] )

RE: Who is this person? - Craig Hipkins - 01-18-2015 02:56 PM

It looks like Luther or Lafayette Baker, but that might be because of that ubiquitous 19th century beard!

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-18-2015 03:35 PM

Craig, that is an excellent guess, but Eva is correct! Kudos, Eva! That is Dr. Robert T. Patterson who operated Bellevue Place in Batavia, Illinois. This is where Mary Lincoln was confined for several months after her insanity trial in 1875. Bellevue Place was a private sanitarium for women.

Eva, this is another one for which I cannot think of an appropriate prize. So I will continue to send best wishes that the polar vortex misses Germany this winter.

[Image: image-pv_panel.jpg]
Bellevue Place

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-19-2015 06:36 AM

Who is this?

[Image: handinjackett.jpg]

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 01-19-2015 07:47 AM

Can't resist this silly comment - Napoleon Bonaparte...(The tie looks 20th century, so I have no instant guess and need to think some more.)

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 01-19-2015 07:55 AM

Good guess, Eva! Possibly this man is indeed imitating Napoleon. I do not know the actual origin of the "hand-in-jacket" pose. Maybe Napoleon?