Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Who is this person? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Who is this person? (/thread-240.html)

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-22-2014 05:18 PM

Another outstanding guess, Scott! I'm sorry it's not Macy either.

Hint #3: Abraham Lincoln shopped at this gentleman's venture on the way to Washington in 1861.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-22-2014 07:12 PM

Hint #4: Probably it's a girls question - Marilyn and Audrey would know...

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-22-2014 08:19 PM

Tiffany?

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-23-2014 05:31 AM

Excellent, Laurie. The elderly gentleman is (was) Charles Lewis Tiffany, who founded Tiffany & Co. in New York City in 1837, and the younger one is his eldest son, Louis Comfort Tiffany, who was an Art Nouveau artist and designer is best known for his work in stained glass.

On the way to Washington, Abraham Lincoln, according to Catherine Clinton (who refers to forum member Donna McCreary), bought for Mary a 530$ six-piece seed-pearl parure to reward her for her faith in him.

Laurie, you win a breakfast at Tiffany's, and she will sing for you:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eL7ETLLkQTY

RE: Who is this person? - L Verge - 10-23-2014 11:07 AM

Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my all-time favorite movies.

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 10-23-2014 09:09 PM

Halloween is fast approaching. Who is believed to be the ghost that haunts the Lincoln Home in Springfield?

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-24-2014 04:59 AM

Could it be Matilda Edwards?

RE: Who is this person? - KatieH - 10-24-2014 02:48 PM

I thought I once heard that one of the Lincoln children supposedly haunted it...so I'll go with Eddie?

Just the thought of him wandering around alone makes me sad Sad

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-24-2014 02:54 PM

Welcome to the forum, Katie! (Your guess makes a lot more sense than mine!)

RE: Who is this person? - KatieH - 10-24-2014 04:09 PM

Thanks, Roger! And hey, you never know...Though if Matilda was once roaming around there, I would bet that the ghost of Mrs. Lincoln would've chased her out since then!

RE: Who is this person? - Anita - 10-24-2014 07:35 PM

Hi Katie, welcome to the forum. Hello Roger. Sorry for not replying sooner. I had to run out early this morning. Both of you have come up with credible guesses. But Mrs. Tilton is the ghost I had in mind.

I had been reading up on the various tenants who occupied the Lincoln home when I came across this article. The Tilton family had to put up with a host of headaches as renters of the Lincoln home. See excerpt below. The full article can be found at
http://www.illinoishauntings.com/lincoln_home.html

"But was the ghost really Mary? For those who believe the house is actually haunted (The National Park Service maintains that it is not!), they believe the ghost here is not actually one of the Lincoln family, but rather a later occupant of the house, Mrs. Lucian A. Tilton. Mrs. Tilton and her husband, the president of the Great Western Railway, had rented the home from the Lincoln family when they left for Washington in 1861. However, after the president's assassination, his body was placed on display in the house when he was returned to Springfield. Mrs. Tilton had been constantly plagued by visitors during the four years that she lived in the house, prior to 1865. They estimated that at least 65,000 people had visited the home and asked to take a tour of it, ringing the bell and knocking on the door day and night.

Needless to say, Mrs. Tilton was worried about what might happen to the house during the Lincoln funeral but she was a kind-hearted person and had already resolved herself to the fact that she was going to allow people to take grass from the yard, flowers from her garden or leaves from the trees. She had no idea what was coming --- by the end of the funeral services, her lawn and gardens had been stripped, paint had been scraped from her house and bricks had been carried away from her retaining wall as souvenirs.

The Tiltons moved out of the Lincoln home in 1869 but some believe that Mrs. Tilton has never left it. There are those that believe the ghost who lingers here, and who has been seen on many occasions cleaning and straightening the house, is the beleaguered Mrs. Tilton, still worried over the disruptions that continually marked her brief tenancy in this famous home."

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-24-2014 08:52 PM

Spooky, Anita...
Inspired by one of the latest threads, who is this gentleman?
[attachment=1080]

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-25-2014 05:03 AM

(10-24-2014 07:35 PM)Anita Wrote:  However, after the president's assassination, his body was placed on display in the house when he was returned to Springfield.

Hi Anita,

RE: "However, after the president's assassination, his body was placed on display in the house when he was returned to Springfield."

This was new to me. Never heard that before. I wonder what Troy Taylor's source is for that.

RE: Who is this person? - RJNorton - 10-25-2014 05:10 AM

Eva, this is probably wrong as I don't see a connection to the latest threads, but I'll guess Oliver Otis Howard.

RE: Who is this person? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-25-2014 05:17 AM

What an outstanding guess, Roger!! I'm sorry it is not Oliver Otis Howard.

Hint #1: This gentleman served as lieutenant colonel in the Confederate army and was wounded in the Battle of Columbus, Georgia.